[22] Penguins

We turned a corner and saw a small pizza parlour. Luke continued to walk right in front of the parkour and turned back to me.

"Mario's Pizza?" I read from a lit up sign. "It's a pizza place I saw last week" He said putting his hands in his pockets, "I've heard that it's good" "Who'd you hear it from? You know nobody here" I said.

"You always know how to ruin something don't you?" He snarled at me, "I did my research" "You did research on pizza?" I asked unbelieved. "Um yes?! I heard from Michael that the best pizza is in New York. So I searched it up and said that this is the place to be" he protested.

"I'm impressed Hemmings" I said, "You did research and you're going to pay for my pizza? What a gentlemen" "Yeah I did my- Hey! I'm not paying for your pizza!" Fine" I said walking into the pizza parlour, "I'll pay for it myself"

I took my wallet out of my bag and took a step in line. Luke was first and I was next. "I'll have a slice of pepperoni" he said. The cashier took his money and gave him his slice of pizza and his change.

I walked forward in line to the counter, "Can I have a slice of hawaiian pizza?" I asked. "$3.50" The cashier said to me before putting the pizza in the oven.

I opened my wallet and searched for some money, but I didn't have any money at all. I panicked as I was getting some loose change from the pockets on the wallet. I pulled out some coins and placed them on the counter.

The cashier gave me an impatient look and counted the coins one by one. "Do you have a dollar?" He asked counting the last coin. "I don't" I softly spoke embarrassed because I ordered but couldn't pay for it.

He sighed, "I'm sorry ma'am but-" "I got it" I heard Luke say before coming to the counter and handing to boy a $1 dollar bill. "Keep the change" Luke said before handing me my slice of pizza. "But I only needed a dollar" the cashier said. "Don't need to thank me" Luke yelled from the door.

"I looked like an idiot" I said. "I would agree but that would be mean" he said, "It was hilarious" "I was as red as a fucking tomato and hot as...something that is really hot!" I said. "Woo really" he said sarcastically, "No thanks for saving your butt?" He said.

"Thank you for saving my ass" I said and rolled my eyes. "You're welcome" he smoothly said.

"You do realize pepperoni is the most boring pizza" I said as we started walking. "Pepperoni is not boring" he said, "It's a classic" "It's classically boring" I said.

"Who has fruit on their pizza?" He asked, "If you're trying to be healthy just eat fruit" "I'm not trying to be healthy" I rolled my eyes. "I can see that" He chuckled.

"Are you calling me fat?" I sassed at him. "No I didn't mean it that way-" He quickly said with his eyes wide open. "It didn't sound that way" I said. "C'mon Em-" he said before I interrupted. "Emily" I corrected him. "C'mon Emily I was just-" I stared at him and then he sighed, "I didn't mean it"

"I didn't mean it" I mocked him. "Save it Luke" I said, "Let's just go back to the hotel" I started walking but he pulled my hand back and kept a firm grip on my wrist.

"One more place" he said, "Just let me take you to one more place and then we can go" I sighed, "Fine. One more place then we go back to the hotel"

"I have the perfect place to go to" He said walking the other direction. "Do we need to take a car?" I asked. "Nope" he said turning back at me, "It's surprisingly really close" I nodded and caught up to him as we walked along the sidewalk.

10 minutes later we were standing in front of the entrance of a zoo. "Bronx Zoo?" I asked in confusion. "Apparently it's iconic" Luke said, "Haven't you ever wanted to see a real live penguin?" "No" I said, "I hate penguins"