[25] Watch Your Back

"You are too close to me" I said to Luke. This elevator was packed. And I mean packed. There were children yelling and parents yelling on their phones. It was a complete and utter disaster. I was going to lose my mind, but that would be overreacting.

It was so packed that I was extremely and dangerously close to Luke. I was against him, my head to his chest. I didn't hate being in this position but it did bother me a bit. Did I just say that?

Luke!" I whisper-yelled, "Oh my god Luke!" It turned out to be mumbles to him because he either couldn't hear me over all the noise or the fact that my face was against his chest.

He rolled his eyes. "What do you want?" he said smushed against the wall. I looked up and him. "Our mothers are here" I said, "And they're going to find us and this is all your fault" "Stop being so pessimistic" he said, "They won't find out"

"But they are right here Luke!" I whisper-yelled, "They'll find us and we'll get into so much trouble" "Calm down" he said, "Just stay quiet and wait"

I calmed down and took deep breaths.
"Oh it's full!" I heard Mrs. Hemmings say before the elevator closed completely.

Phew, I thought, we were almost going to be dead meat. "See" Luke said, "You're fine, I'm fine. Well get up before they come"

"Hey love birds!" I heard someone yell, "What floor you on?!" "5, kid" Luke said and I felt the vibrations when he spoke. "And we are not lovebirds!" I said turning myself around.

"Doesn't seem like it" a teenage boy said as he got a smack on the head by his mother in return. "What?" He murmured, "Someone had to say it" He pressed the button and shut himself up.

"I kind of like this position" Luke whispered to me. I rolled my eyes. "I don't" I said, "I'm washing myself off twice to take away the Luke sent and germs from my body"

"I was joking" he said, "And before you say something about something that happened in the past, I already know" I shimmied my way around the family to the other side of the elevator, away from Luke.

"Is he your boyfriend?" I looked down to see a little girl staring at me. "No,no" I said sweetly to the little girl, "He's not" "Why not?" She said, "he's nice" "Believe me" I said, "He's not"

"Look" she said, "He's looking at you now. That's the way my dad looks at my mom" "What's your name sweetie?" I asked. "April" she said. "April" she said, "Is there a boy at school you don't like?" I asked.

She nodded, "Robert. He always steals my crayons" "Be nice to him. He'll change eventually" I smiled. She hugged me and waved goodbye as the family made their way out the elevator.

It was just Luke and I in the elevator and we stood there awkwardly, taking glances but quickly looking away.

"I heard everything the girl said" he said breaking the silence, "April right?" "Even with all the noise?" I asked. "It wasn't that noisy" He said.

The elevator opened as we made it on the fifth floor. "Now quiet" Luke said. We tiptoed to our room. I took out the key and opened the door. We both walked in silently and I turned my back and closed the door.

"Why do we always find ourselves in this position?" I turned around and saw my mother and Mrs. Hemmings with the previous position they were days ago. With their hands to their hips and a disappointed look plastered on their face.

"Before you say anything" Luke started, "Mia needed us" "I understand that" Mrs. Hemmings said, "I got a call from Mrs. Clarke" "We'll let it slide this time" my mother said, "but we wouldn't have said no if you asked us"