[24] Promises

"Where are you going?" I asked as Luke was putting his shoes on. "Where do you think I'm going?" He asked, "My best friend needs me. You can come too if you want. She needs all the support" I looked at him.

"Look I know you felt left out before" He said. "Who said I feel 'left out'? I left yeah but that doesn't mean I felt left out" I said and he gave me a look. "I guess I did" I said, "But that was because you seemed really happy together and I was just a third wheel so I left"

"Wow it's so hard to get you to admit things" he said, "Nothing's happening between us anyway" "But I thought you liked her, like more than a friend?" I asked. "I did before" he said, "Not anymore"

"After you left, she explained everything to me" He continued, "And if you go I'll tell you everything" "Everything?" I asked. "Everything." He said.

I agreed and put on my shoes and grabbed a jacket.

We walked out and midway I stopped. "What about your mom? And my mom? We're not supposed to leave the room" I said. "You're such a bummer" he said, "It's a valid reason" "As always I'm blaming you shithead" I said as we continued walking.

"We're going back to those nicknames?" He pouted, "I thought we were on a first name basis" "It suits you" I said. "Fine Asswipe" He said.

We walked into the elevator as elevator music blared from the speakers that Luke could literally reach. "This is my jam" I said sarcastically. "Damn you're really into lame music" Luke said believing me.

"You're really stupid" I said, "I was kidding" "So it's fine if you kid huh?" luke said to himself but I could hear him clearly. "I heard that" I said. "I'm just saying" he said, "You make a big deal out of everything" "Can we talk about this later?" I asked.

The bell rang and we walked out to the lobby. "Where are we even going?" I asked as we walked into the cold. "I told you to Mia-" he said but I interrupted. "I meant do you know where the hospital is or are we going to her house?"

"I'm pretty sure it's the hospital" he said, "The Twin Oaks Hospital" "Okay" I said, "Do the thumbs up thing, you're thumbs are huge anyway they'll see them from miles away" "Not as big as Ashton's geez they are ginormous like monkey hands" He chuckled.

He put his thumb up and a taxi came. We both hopped into the back seat and Luke told the taxi driver the hospital. Then she started driving.

"Spill it Hemmings" I said seriously. "Okay so once you left out of anger or loneliness or perhaps jealousy I don't know" he started. "I was not jealous" I said in defense. "When you left for whatever reason you think, Mia told me everything about why she left" He said.

"I knew she didn't have a father around because he was never there when I came there and then I figured out that he actually moved to New York" he continued, "I guess why she was sad most of the time" "Why did he move to New York?" I asked.

"He had a work thing there but I didn't know all the details" he said. "Then what?" I asked.

"She was told during school that she had to leave" he continued, "She was told that her father was very sick, I didn't know how sick he was but she told me she moved there the next day so she didn't even say bye"

"Oh" was all I could say. "The doctors said that he could live another 3 years before..you know" "Yeah" I said. "He did live an extra 6 years which is amazing" he said, "But I guess it was his time"

I sniffled and Luke took note of that. "You are so emotional" he said. "Shut up" I said. "You're such a girl" he said. "Newsflash I am one shithead" I said. "Really?" He said unamused. "Dude I have-" I said. "I don't need to know what you 'have'" He interrupted .