Breaking Point

Dedicated to @MsB1975 because of your comment*

     The next week went by rather quickly. Dessiah had spent every waking moment at the office making sure she didn’t miss a beat. Her focus had been on making sure everything ran smoothly for the grand opening in a month. Dessiah thought it would be beneficial to turn the second location into a complete grocery store. Only problem is getting a full supply of product in a timely fashion. To have everything shipped and have the store ready to be open within a month since her assignment would soon be over. It seemed completely impossible but she had faith in the impossible.

 Dessiah hadn’t had time to even skype with Lisa and Delaney. Today would be her last day of school for the school year and then Lisa would be traveling with her here to Japan. Sitting at her computer in her room music blared from the speakers of her laptop. Royals played and she looked over requested orders for the new store and the requests for what was needed.  A call came through on skype and she was beyond excited.

“Hi mommy.” Delaney smiled through the screen.

“Hi baby. How are you my honey bunches of oats?” Dessiah squealed.

“Mom, I’m not a cereal, Im a strawberry shortcake haha.” Delaney giggled.’

“Alright cake! How are you baby?”

“I’m fine. I miss you mommy.”

“I miss you too more than you could ever know. Don’t worry you’ll be here soon. How was your last day of school?” Delaney’s eyes changed from blissful to somber and she looked away from her mother.

“It was fine but it would have been better if you were here.”

“I know baby. I’m sorry I wasn’t there but I will be there next time.” Dessiah reassured her.

“I got an award for student of the year at graduation today.” Dessiah’s eyes widened.

“Graduation? What do you mean graduation!?”

“My graduation mommy from kindergarten to first grade. You missed it mommy and you should have been there.”

“Delaney I was told there wasn’t going to be a graduation. Let me talk to your aunty Lisa. Go and get her for me.” Lisa came from the kitchen and sat in front of the monitor.

“Hey De what’s up mama?”

“Lis what is this about Delaney having a graduation?”

“I emailed you De. It was completely last minute. Like they decided Monday to have it today.”

“Lisa I check my email everyday what are you talking about?” Dessiah responded a bit perturbed.

“De I sent it to your email for sure. Look I’ll forward it to you let me check my sent messages.” Check her messages in a separate window on the monitor Lisa’s mouth flew open.

“De I sent it to your old email honey. I’m so sorry. I think when I typed in you’re the beginning of your name it filled in I didn’t pay attention. I’m so sorry. I did record it though so you can see it.” Dessiah’s eyes began to tear up but she held it together. Your only child, only graduates from kindergarten one time and neither one of her parents were there to cheer her on. The very same thing happened to Dessiah as a child and that is what pierced her heart.

“Lisa don’t worry about it. Did you get your tickets?”

“Yes we’re leaving Friday then I have to be back here by Tuesday. That’s all Icould et off work.”