Get It Together (Late Night Dinners)

*Food Katasu*

Three weeks had passed and things in the office hadn't gotten any better. Dessiah had been working overtime, barely having time to go home and sleep. Japans custom of working overtime with no questions asked was being lived up to. Dessiah had even slept at her desk going over number and budgets for marketing. She found a way to use less of the allotted budget. Advertising had already begun and soon her time would be up.

Looking at the time she desperately needed to get home. Detrick had been a constant pain in the butt and she made every attempt to avoid him. Walking into his office she lightly knocked on the open door. The faint sounds of music played in his office. What sounded like Stevie Wonder?

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving for the night."

"Bye." He said glancing up at her. She rolled her eyes turning to walk out the door.

"Great job." He said. Dessiah turned around at the sound of his voice.

"Excuse me?"

"Great-.. I mean good job on the advertising for the opening. It seems like people are really responding well to the ads."

"Well thanks." She said taken aback by his compliment.

"You really have risen to the occasion. Now the stores have to finish being stocked and we find something for that other location. You might be back home sooner than you anticipated." Dessiah thought she would be excited to leave early and she was but there was a very small part of her that was saddened at the thought of leaving Japan behind. "Well, I know that you want to be heading home so I'll see you tomorrow." Dessiah turned to walk out of the door and turned on her heels.

"Detrick, have you eaten dinner yet?" It was a leap but he rarely showed kindness so she felt maybe there was hope for him to not be an asshole for his entire life.

"No, I ordered some food not long ago. It should be on its way." He stood from his desk coming around to sit on its edge.

"Oh, okay ... well goodnight."

"You can join me if you want. I mean... if you haven't eaten... because there's/ going to be more than enough and you know I'm not big on leftovers. I mean if you have nothing else to do I wouldn't mind. It's up to you." Was he rambling? Why did he seem nervous?

"Okay." Dessiah interjected. Detrick stared silently not knowing what to say or do next. He hadn't expected her to accept his invitation.

"Well, I'll just be in my office until the food gets here." Dessiah walked out of the room and seemed anxious. She chalked it up to being hungry and tired. Sitting in her chair she looked over her desk and straightened files. Leaning back she sighed thinking of Delaney and missing her greatly. Soon she would be here and celebrating her 6th birthday. If only her father could see her now, then again he can but that's another issue.

Moments later her phone buzzed and Detrick came on her office phone.

"Dessiah the food has arrived."

"Okay. I'm coming." She stood and fixed her clothes. After going to wash her hands Dessiah made her way to his office. She didn't waste time knocking on his door since it was open. He laid the food out on his desk and gathered plates for them. He had a display of what he called Katsu Kare which was a brownish curry and rice with tonkatsu (deep fried pork cutlet). It looked as good as it smelled. There was a side plate of sushi but she decided against it. He dished out her food with a helping of steamed broccoli and handed her the plate then served himself.

"Dessiah silently prayed over her food and began eating in silence. From the first bite there was a burst of flavor and spice in her mouth that she enjoyed immensely. Detrick found him staring at her full lips taking in her fork and examined her features. So beautiful, covered in her smooth chocolate skin. Overall there was something rather familiar about her that he couldn't put his finger on since the day he met her. He hadn't even touched his food captured by her beauty. It wasn't just how she looked but something about her presence and the way the atmosphere changed when she walked into a room.