Game Changer

Later that night Dessiah stayed up late wrecking her brain of how to execute the task at hand. She was able to talk to Delaney just hours before and read her a bedtime story via skype. Now close to 11:30 pm and she stared at her computer screen organizing her thoughts. Suddenly a call came through skype. It was an unknown user- to her at least, she answered with caution. Looking at back at her were eyes she didn't expect to see and was a bit perturbed by his interruption.

"Dessiah? Can you see me clearly?"

"Yes, Shandon I can see you." She replied nonchalantly

"So, how is Japan?" He asked in a tone that was stuck between chipper and intrigued.

"Its fine I guess. It would be better if it had started how I expected."

"How you expected?" He asked with a creasing brow.

"Well, I didn't expect to fly here by myself. Nor was I aware or fully prepared for the business affairs scheduled to take place."

"Yea, about that..." He lowered his voice exiting a dimly lit room to a busy bright hallway. Shandon spoke closely into the screen of his phone. "Dessiah I want to apologize for that and the way I acted towards you. You didn't deserve that it's just something's are going on and I had to stay behind but once everything is handled here I'll be there. I'm just not sure when that will be but I really am sorry. Do you forgive me?" He looked at her with his eyes wide as if sincerity would flow from them in the flow of tears. It was like something was breaking his heart and had nothing to do with Dessiah. She hadn't expected him to apologize in the first place and was beside herself that he could admit he was wrong. He always came off militant and occasionally a warmth would peek its way through his cold demeanor.

"Yes. I forgive you." He smiled.

"Now what's this about you not being prepared? You seemed top of your game before you left."

"I was, until I was informed that there is an additional store being opened and I'm expected to handle the marketing for that as well. I feel like I'm in over my head." Dessiah looked away a bit overwhelmed. Shandon waited for her to look at him again but she didn't.

"Dessiah? Dessiah look at me." She glanced then looked away. "Dessiah look at me damn it!" Her head popped up to stare in her monitor. "You can do this I know without a shadow of a doubt that you can."

"How can you be so sure?" She asked timidly.

"Because, I believe in you. I know I'm not there with you but I'll do whatever I can to help you from here as much as possible. You have a master's degree for goodness sake and more experience than most executives."

"Including you?"

"I wouldn't go that far." They both smiled. "Just take it one step at a time and if you ever feel unsure just remember nothing happens by chance. You weren't chosen by accident Dessiah. I knew you were more than capable from the beginning, okay?"

"Yes. Thank you Shandon that means al-..." She was cut off by a women coming behind him in what looked like scrubs gaining his attention. He looked away from the phone. "Sir, she's asking for you." "Okay let her know I'm coming please." Looking back in the camera at Dessiah. " Dessiah I have to go but-..."

"Shandon are you okay?" When she asked him that something changed in his eyes and pulled on her heart. Dessiah wanted so bad to reach through her monitor and hug him because her gut was sensing that he needed a friend with a soft shoulder for him to lean on.

I... I'm... I will be... at least I hope I will be okay."

"What's wrong?" Shandon opened his mouth to speak when a female voice called for him in the distance. A voice Dessiah could hear but a face she could not see.