π‘Šπ‘–π‘‘β„Ž π‘ƒπ‘’π‘Ÿπ‘π‘œπ‘ π‘’

By laroywrites

The world is chaotic and cold. No love to give and no warmth to feel. It was easy to live in that kind of wor... More

π‘ƒπ‘Ÿπ‘œπ‘™π‘œπ‘”π‘’π‘’
I
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII(22)
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
Epilogue
A/N: New Book!!
{A/N} Update: It's on the way!!!
{A/N} Did I lieπŸ‘€

V

2K 137 36
By laroywrites

————————————————
𝗔𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗹 𝟭𝟰, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟬
𝗙𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝟭𝟬:𝟮𝟵 𝗮.𝗺.
𝗡𝗲𝘄 𝗬𝗼𝗿𝗸, 🅽🅴🆆 🆈🅾︎🆁🅺

~𝚀𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚊 𝚗𝚎𝚠 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚑 of discovery~
————————————————

After Tone had fired Tajah, Zuri had felt a little bad because it was the girls only job and income. Although she liked to start drama around the shop, Zuri still sympathized for her because she was struggling.

Something they could relate on.

After the altercation, everyone made sure Zuri was alright. She was a quiet girl and always kept to herself. In their minds, they believed Zuri couldn't hold her own which is why she never involved herself in drama, but in all actuality she just couldn't add another negative into her already confusing equation. She had enough going on than to worry about someone who felt threatened by her presence.

As for Kel, he made an appearance around the shop more often. He didn't like seeing how Tajah put her hands on Zuri, as if it was okay. He couldn't help but think what it was like for her at work. Whether she was getting picked on. He'd seen girls like Zuri— quiet and reserved. And people always took that as a sign to walk all over the unheard because they were unbothered. He was sort of like her bodyguard now, although she surely didn't need one.

Zuri wasn't going to complain. She would greet him everytime and thank him for calming her down that day. She didn't know what would happen if he weren't there, she'd probably embarrass herself more than she had. Or her pain and anger would have got the best of her and everyone would have seen a new and completely different side of her.

Aside from that, they didn't really communicate. On campus they'd walk with each if they spotted one another and even helped each on the track.

Zuri didn't see it as a friendship since she didn't know what one was like, but more like an associate that she found herself wanting to be around.

At the moment they were on their way to their Marketing class, together. It was silent between the two, but it was always silent. Zuri didn't mind, but Kel wanted to hear her speak. Let's just say he'd heard her enough to know he loved her voice. It was quiet but soft and melodic.

"What made you choose business? Yo' second yea' at dat'." Kel decided to spark conversation, hoping she'd say something.

Zuri looked up at him since he was nearly a foot taller than her. He stared down at her with his light brown eyes and Zuri quickly looked away, not liking eye contact.

She cleared her throat, "It was random. I don't know what I wanna do." She spoke softly. Kel nodded his head, remembering her saying that to Tai on her first day in class.

"What about you?" She decided to continue the conversation, as she looked around at all the students walking in and out of the buildings on campus. She spotted the Greene building where their Marketing class was located, up ahead. She checked the time on her watch to see they had 20 minutes until class started and decided to slow down to waste time.

"I honestly don't know. But the thought of runnin' my own business do sound nice, don't it?" He smirked. "My brotha' runnin' his own business, I'ca do it, too."

Zuri was now intrigued and invested. "Tone's your brother, right?" Kel licked his bottom lip instinctively and nodded his head, as he looked over at Zuri. She became a little flustered and diverted her eyes onto the pavement.

"Pick yo' head up, girl. I'ain gon' say nun when you bouta' run into sum'." He put his finger under her chin and lifted her head up to see a small smile on Zuri's face. "You got a beautiful smile."

If Zuri wasn't dark skin, she was sure to have red cheeks by now, but the smile she was trying to fight told it all. "Thank you." She spoke softly, picking with the cotton balls on her black, long sleeve shirt. It was hot outside, but she was very wary about her arm. She hadn't cut since the day of the incident. She couldn't begin to explain how much pain her arm was in thanks to Tajah. She'd cut deeper than she usually did which made the pain unbearable, but she still went through the day as if nothing was wrong.

"Igh', I'a see you afta' yo' class." Kel said as they approached their Marketing class with 10 minutes to spare.

"Ok— wait, where are you going? Don't you have this class as well?" A look of sadness had ran across Zuri's face. Before she could catch it, Kel had already seen and frowned. The expression had caused his mood to shift. But before he could question it, it was gone.

"I ain't get much sleep last night, I'm bouta' go sit in my ca'." Kel coincidentally yawned and rubbed his hand over his waves.

Zuri started to fidget with her fingers and looked inside the classroom to see students moving around finding their seats.

"You want me... I mean, I can come sit with you." Zuri said unsurely. She felt the need to be around him, and as much as she wanted to deny it, she felt so much calmer when he was around.

Kel looked her over. "I'on want you skippin' class, we walked all da' way ova' hea'. One of us gotta' stay." He chuckled in hopes that the pout on Zuri's face would disappear. It did and was replaced with a small smile.

"Well o-ok. I'll see you?" Kel nodded his head and held his arms out.

"Want a hug?" Zuri stared at his arms and quickly went in for his embrace and melted at how warm and loving it was. His arms were securely wrapped around her waist. Zuri reluctantly pulled away, gave one more glance and waved to him as she walked into the classroom.

He watched her take a seat, before making his way out of the building and made the semi-long trip back to his car, wanting nothing more than to close his eyes.

"How was your nap? Did you go to any of your other classes?" Zuri asked as Kel appeared on the side of her. She'd just come from her Communication and Guidance class. Kel spotted her and decided to walk with her.

"It was igh' and nah. They got cancelled." Kel said lowly. He was still a little tired. He didn't get the best nap, due to the migraine he got while walking back to his car. He drove to the nearest store and bought some pain reliefs but they took too long to kick in. He was thankful for the fact the rest of his classes got cancelled but he still didn't get much sleep and now he just wanted to go home.

It was an option but one reason being he didn't want to leave Zuri on campus by herself, he stayed. There was also the fact he had practice and Coach Zales was strict about undocumented absences.

"You should've came to Marketing—you still look a little tired." She noticed the bags under his eyes and his eyes were a little red. "We can skip practice, Kel."

"I'm good, Zee." Kel said lowly causing Zuri to frown. "You'on be—"

"But you look really tired." Zuri interrupted him with a frown on her face.

Kel chuckled and stuffed his hands in his hoodie pocket. "A. Don't cut me off. B. I'm tellin' you I'm good. Enough ta' sit through practice. Don't tell me you care 'bout a nigga?" He smirked.

Zuri's eyes went big and she looked around, fidgeting with her fingers. "N-no... I mean, it's... I'm just looking out for you. Das' all."

Kel side-eyed her, nodding his head with a slight grin. "I 'preshate 'dat. Let's get ta' da' field be'foe Zales have our ass on'a sidelines."

Zuri stared at him for a few more seconds before nodding her head and walking alongside Kel. They made it to the field before practice started and just sat in the grass. Zuri sat quietly, picking with the grass while Kel laid on his back fiddling with his phone.

"Ezekiel!" Kel heard his name being yelled across the field and groaned because he didn't like his government being yelled out and he let that be known to people who knew him personally.

He turned his head to see his best friend, Semaj or Maj for short, jogging towards him in a pair of basketball shorts and a white t-shirt.

"Nigga, don't be yellin' my gov. Hell wrong wit' yo ugly ass?" Kel stressed as he stood up from the grass to greet Maj. He chuckled and brung Kel in for a brotherly hug.

"You always bitchin'!" Kel waved him off. Zuri was looking up at the two men, converse with each other so naturally and comfortably. She looked over at Semaj with curious eyes. He was a tall brown skin brotha', standing at about 6'4 with a nice, freshly cut fade. His skin looked as edible as chocolate, as the sun shined down on him, his chocolate brown shaded orbs defined by his almond shaped eyes.

She found him peculiarly handsome.

Feeling eyes on him, Semaj looked around before looking down seeing Zuri staring up at him with a frown on her face. He grew a soft smile, causing Zuri to look away, embarrassed that she'd been staring so hard.

"Hey li'l mama." Semaj spoke to her, and Kel snapped his head in her direction to see she was looking off somewhere else. She slowly looked back at Semaj, with the same frown on her face.

"Hi." She waved as she stood up from the grass, dusting her shorts off. She stood slightly behind Kel, not knowing who Semaj was.

"You'a li'l shy, I'm harmless. Promise." He smirked and Kel smacked his lips.

"Maj, shut up. Zuri, this Semaj, my li'l brotha'. Maj, Zuri." Kel introduced them. Zuri waved again with a tight lip smile and Semaj gave her a head nod.

"I'ain mean ta' make you uncomfortable." Semaj ran his hand over his fade. Zuri noticed the accent that was similar to Kels. They were clearly from the south.

"You're fine." She spoke softly, moving from behind Kel and to the side of him. He looked down at her, since she was damn near a foot shorter, and gave her a cheesy smile causing her to blush and look elsewhere. Semaj watched the interaction with curiosity and a grin. He made a mental note to question Kel when he had time.

"Ight, sorry I'm late. Late meeting." Coach Zales finally showed up on the field, 10 minutes late.

"Igh, I'a hit you up when practice ova'." Semaj said and Kel turned to do their hug.

"Coo, one love baybeh." He and Kel said to each other.

"I'a see you around Zuri." Semaj smirked looking between she and Kel. She nodded her head and he ran off to the gymnasium that was right next to the field.

"You and Semaj seem close." Zuri said softly after watching him run off. Kel interlocked his hands above his head and blew out a breath.

"Blood couldn't make us any closa'." Kel mumbled but Zuri heard him.

"So y'all aren't related?"

Kel shook his head and looked back at Zuri with a smirk. "Nah, we just been through da' storm togetha'."

Zuri grew a soft smile. Their gazes lingered on each for a while, before they were called onto the track with the rest of the team.

"I'a see you tomma'." Practice had ended a few minutes ago, the two were just now making it back to their cars.

Zuri nodded her head. She watched as Kel rubbed his eyes and she rubbed her lips together, debating if she wanted to say what she'd been wanting to say since before practice.

"Ezekiel," Zuri called out to him in a calm manner, playing with her finger nails. Kel looked down at her with his full attention, noticing she used his full name.

"Hm." He hummed. He noticed how nervous she got, due to her picking with her nails. He gently grabbed her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "You straight?"

Zuri looked up at him frowning. "Are you?" She blew out a breath seeing the confused expression on Kels face. "Y-you look tired, a-and you were really slow on the track today."

"So—"

"Kel, you're never slow." Zuri unintentionally interrupted him. Kel sent a glare her way and shook his head.

"Didn't I tell you not ta' interrupt me, li'l girl?" Zuri muttered a sorry and Kel lightly squeezed her hand again. "You straight, but Zee, I'm tellin' you I'm good. A li'l ti'ed since I'ain get da' best nap but it ain't neva' killed nobody and it damn sho' ain't gon' kill me."

Zuri pouted at how nonchalant he was being. She didn't know much about Kel, to her disappointment, but she genuinely cared about his well-being. She felt this gravitational pull towards him and she happened to start noticing little things about him. She didn't know what it was nor did she want to identify the source, but if it gave her the ability to point out the faults in his actions and help him whenever, she would.

"If it'a make you feel betta', I'a take a well needed nap when I make it home, coo'?" Kel asked looking down at her worried face. He really didn't want her to worry about him but his heart jumped at the fact that she did. It meant she cared.

A small smile grew on Zuri's face. "It would, thank you." Kel nodded his head, releasing her hand and opening his arms for her. She gladly walked into them, basking in the warm feeling his hugs always gave her.

"Could you maybe....call me before your nap? J-just to make sure you do take one." Zuri asked hesitantly. Kel chuckled and Zuri felt the vibration through his chest.

"Yea, I'a call you. Maybe yo' soft ass voice a' put me ta' sleep." Zuri playfully rolled her eyes as they pulled away. "I'a see you."

"See ya'." Zuri gave him one last smile before getting into her car. Kel watched her pull off before getting into his and blew out a sigh.

He was dead tired. His body felt drained due to his eerie feelings and the fact his coach was pushing him on the track. The sports Olympics were approaching and he was lined for the relay and a few field events. That meant he had to work twice as hard as he usually did.

Let's not forget he's a coach at a high school. Although he was great at coaching them, them winning the last three games they played in as proof, he couldn't seem to fit sleep into the equation. It was school, practice, then coaching hours. So yes, he was exhausted. But he tried to act as if it weren't a problem and didn't prioritize it.

Kel physically felt his body slowly go limp as he laid his head on his steering wheel. He tried his hardest to sit up and get his car starting but his body had other plans.

What felt like a few minutes but was actually an hour or two, Kel woke up to the sound of knocking and his phone ringing. He popped up from his steering wheel, and darted his eyes out of the passengers window. There stood his childhood friend, Semaj, with a worried and confused facial expression.

"Da' fuck you doin' man?" His voice rang from the other side of the window. Kel just looked at his surroundings and realization sat in. He'd fallen asleep in his car. The sun was nearly set and he was one of the cars still in the schools parking lot.

He looked back out the passenger window and rolled it down. Semaj leaned inside staring at Kel with confusion.

"You straight?" He asked his clearly tired friend. He had just left basketball practice and happened to spot Kels car parked a few parks away from his. Thinking he was just doing some extra studying, that wasn't the case when he spotted him inside the car, sleep.

Kel rubbed his eyes and nodded his head. "Yea. Yea, I'm straight."

The tiredness was evident in Kels voice, instead of ignoring it, Semaj decided to intervene. "Ezekiel, I hope you ain't slippin'. Sleep is mandatory, especially when you'a athlete and high school coach."

Kels eyes widened at hearing something and quickly snatched his phone from the cup holder. He seen a few missed calls from his brother, a few from Lincoln High School and a text from Zuri. He was supposed to be at the school an hour ago and apparently he'd been sleep for 2 hours. 

He smacked his teeth and tossed the phone in the passenger and looked back at Semaj who'd been staring at him the whole time.

"Damn nigga, why you starin' so hard fa'?" Kel chuckled but his friend found nothing funny.

"Kel, I'm serious bruh. You can't keep doin' this. You said you'a stop and look at you. Take a break or sum'." Semaj said sternly. Kel knew where his resentment and frustration of the situation came from and nodded his head.

"I hea' you."

Semaj's gaze lingered before shaking his head. He knew he'd have to keep an extra eye on his best friend. He soon stepped away from the car. "Igh', get home safe man. Love ya'." It was evident that the two boys had a strong connection. A blind person could easily tell.

"Love ya' too." Semaj jogged away from the car and towards his. He hopped in and drove out of the parking lot, honking at Kel.

Kel sat in his car for a few more minutes, trying to register what just happened. He just knew he was in for a long talk with Tone when he stepped in the house. The messages that he'd sent just proved it.

꧁_________________꧂

{A/N}

I'm trying to wait to bring in more info on Zuri's past. Dassall

6/16/20

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19K 1.2K 51
[My nubile body ripened with lustful desire for every inch of this Seraph of a being. Finalizing our orally initiated bliss he steps back as his nimb...
25.4K 3.8K 54
Knowing what you want and allowing what you don't want is surely an hard thing and Demar had been biding his time. One thing for certain is that he d...
2.4M 125K 78
He slowly backs up until his back is against the wall like my own, "You're..my neighbor?" He points to my door and I nod my head quickly. He hums sof...
1.2K 22 17
.....He finished explaining his story about what happened in Newyork. Somehow this therapy session was going well, he has even reduced drinking..... ...