Destined Choice ✔

By crescendo_s

Jamie has lived in Australia his whole life. He decided to pursue his higher studies in India with the intent... More

Prologue
0- "The girl next door."
1- "Girl at the club."
2- "She is hot."
3- "Damn! That was good."
4- "Couldn't help myself."
5- "This is so messed up."
6- "The double date is here."
7- "Yet again."
8- "Sounds like a group"
9- "Like the way she is."
10- "2 troublesome brats and more troublesome things."
11- "It's my birthday."
12- "Will we be alright?"
Special Chapter- "First Love."
13- "At my hometown."
14- "Should I go?"
15- "Back in Australia."
16- "We're busted."
17- "Why you...?"
18- "Their farewell."
19- "I'm here."
20- "Lucky me"
21- "Wavering Feelings."
22- "She is amazing."
23- "I want you."
24- "Our date."
Author's Notes
25- "This is a nightmare."
26- "I can trust you, right?"
27- "Now this was surprising."
28- "I think, I'm in love."
29- "Our night with alcohol."
30- "It was a mistake."
31- "Goodbye Lau."
32- "Guilty"
33- "Is it over?"
34- "First time"
35- "Attraction and Repulsion"
36- "A surprise visit."
37- "Shattered."
38- "One more chance."
39- "What's best for us?"
Author's Note
40- "It cannot be forgotten."
41- "Changes over time."
42- "The long awaited conversation."
43- "A glimpse of the truth."
44- "The bachelor's party."
45- "A walk along the beach."
47- "Let's celebrate."
48- "I will do it for you."
49- "Issues."
50- "Playful yet a Loving person."
51- "A choice that was meant to be."
52- "From here onward... My future with you."
Ch 53- "That which was left to be done."
Epilogue
Dedication and Details about other stories.

46- "Unexpected Encounters."

613 32 24
By crescendo_s

                                                                AYU

Things got busy as soon as we reached Delhi. The preparation for Lynda's marriage was in full swing. Before her big day, small rituals (rasam) like ladies sangeet (singing), haldi rasam were performed. There was a big hype going on about the marriage among the relatives which is of course normal. Everything was going well.

Ashima and Zen were staying in their own respective houses while Jamie and I were staying at Lynda's place. Her house was already packed up with relatives so the scene was kind of noisy there. 

"Lynda, aren't you coming for a walk?" I asked after we had our dinner. 

"Nah, you guys go. I'm sleeping." She said while yawning and laid down in her bed.

"But it's only 9:30. Well, whatever." I shrugged. I peeked into her room after  a minute to see if in case she was pretending but she wasn't. She was fast asleep. I guess it's understandable. Maybe, I was only assuming things.

"So Lynn isn't coming eh!?" Jamie said when I accompanied him outside. In the end it was just Jamie and me, taking a walk. Lynda's apartment was in a complex which was big and green due to trees and gardens so it was safe. We finally talked today although none of us mentioned about that evening at the beach. It was like it never happened.

We started talking about what places we visited previously. I told him about my Ooty trip with my family.

Jamie looked at the sky and I noticed his expression changing. "We went to a trip too, three months ago." He said with a small smile.

"Oh, you and Andrew huh?" I stated the obvious.

"No-" He rubbed his nose with his finger. "Our whole family."

"Really?" My eyes lit up. "That's great. Did you enjoy?" I asked. I know how much he and Andrew dreaded going on a trip along with their parents so that they could spend some time together.

"Yes, I certainly did. It was all very sudden. Mom just came to us one day and said she has booked tickets for Queenstown and that Dad will come with us too. We didn't believe it at first but she confirmed it. We spend five days. It was so exciting. I and Andrew were surprised to see Mom and Dad who weren't arguing like before. We visited many places, had adventures, ate lots of food, clicked photos and talked. It was a sight I always yearned to see. For once, I felt like we were a normal family after so many years. Those five days were special to me. I'll always remember it." Jamie said nostalgically. I was happy to hear that but for some reason he had a sad expression on his face which made me anxious.

"Did... did something happened afterwards?" I asked wishing he would say no.

Jamie looked on the ground, his face growing serious all of a sudden. "On our fifth day, they announced that they'll be getting a divorce in the near future." He sighed. "I should have known. No wonder everything looked so perfect when it wasn't. They just wanted to make sure they did their deed before bringing this news to us."

A lump formed in my throat. "I'm so sorry to hear that. I didn't knew." I said with emotion. No wonder he looked uncomfortable when I asked him about his parents back then.

"You don't have to be. I always thought that this day would come. They had filed a divorce years ago but didn't go through it because of me. I think they chose this time since Andrew and I are grown up now. In a way they were holding back for Andrew, waiting for him to get into college, so that they can finally do what they always wanted to do. That vacation was like a parting gift from them." He said.

"Then, are your parents-"

"No, it's in the process. It will take some time." He said in a low voice.

"Oh!" I said having no idea what else to say to him. Silence followed.

"Ah! Look at me getting all gloomy. Let's change the topic." He said while rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "I just remembered. Tell you what? I did a part time job in a game parlour once."

"Seriously? Oh, I forgot that you're a game freak too. You and Lynda are like siblings." I chuckled trying to go along with him and change the topic.

"Oh come on, it was only for a while. It was a big game parlour. Neal suggested it to me since I was jobless that time. I had fun while I was there. I met some of the craziest guys there-" Jamie said with enthusiasm. He kept talking about it while I listened to him with interest. Later, I told him about some funny interviews that I had. We shared our experiences and talked about many other things. It was like we were catching up with the time that we had lost by getting to know about each other. I literally lost track of time. When we reached Lynda's house it was almost 11 pm. We apologized to Lynda's parents since they got worried that we were outside for a long time.

...

We visited our college in the morning, the next day to refresh our memories. I was in a good mood due to last night... which is bad. No, I cannot allow myself to get attached to him again. He just came here for a few days, that's all.

We were just walking outside when I happened to see a black car parked outside the college gates. I turned my head to the other side, mentally praying that it wasn't what I was imagining it to be. I continued walking with my friends pretending to engage in their conservation while getting shitty nervous inside. Unfortunately, my considerable fate decided to be cruel today.

"That's rude princess. I came to see you and yet you're here ignoring me." I heard Raghav's voice just behind me and froze for a second there. Everyone turned around and saw the person getting equally shocked as me.

"I wasn't particularly ignoring you. Is that why you called me this morning to know my plans for today?" I said with a sarcastic smile. I thought he was just asking me casually about what I will do today. I didn't expect him to meet me out of the blue. At least he should have informed me before. I don't fancy the idea of showing him off to my friends.

"Alright, never mind that. I missed you." He smiled and walked over to hug me in FRONT OF EVERYONE even though it was a short one. Did he just hug me on purpose? I took a  quick glance at Jamie who had turned his head away from my directon, his face unreadable.

I eyed Raghav as to what he was doing but he just winked at me. I fought my urge to roll my eyes. "Hey everyone, meet Raghav. And Raghav these are my best friends from college." I introduced them with a forced smile.

"I heard quite a lot about you people. Thanks for taking care of her and also congrats to you." Raghav said the last bit to Lynda in a kind voice. It  made Jamie roll his eyes right in front of him. Haha! I guess I'm not the only one who thinks his sweet side is creepy.

"We heard a lot about you as well and thank you." Lynda said and they shook hands.

"I hope whatever you heard was all good." Raghav grinned. I stood a little behind Raghav and shook my head sideways, trying to show my friends that they shouldn't say anything rude to him even if they want to. I hope they get my message. It's not like I'm afraid of Raghav but if he suspects something he will definitely confront me and I don't want to be a part of that pointless argument afterwards.

"Yes, yes, all good. Ayu told us about how you two used to make mud castles when you were children." Ashima interrupted and I heaved a sigh of relief. Not bad Ash.

Raghav chuckled. "Yeah that is true. We were always together since childhood." He said while looking at me and I nodded. Yeah, blame my bad luck for that.

Raghav asked my friends about how and what they were doing. They answered right away and asked him back but didn't add anything else.

"And what about you dude, how are you doing?" Raghav asked Jamie and I looked at Raghav wide-eyed. I gave him 'what do you think you're doing?' look but he ignored me. There was a dead silence. 

"Better than you might imagine. I'm very much fine, thank you." Jamie said smiling widely.  They both looked at each other, their faces showing mixed emotions. There was this underlying tension between them that gave me the chills. This doesn't look quite good.

"Glad to know that. Guess it's a bright future for all of us." Raghav smiled back which gave me goosebumps. "Where are you planning to go next?" He asked me as we moved a little away from the others.

"There's a big fair going on, not too far away from here. We're planning to go there for a while. So Raghav, see you later." I said sweetly, hoping he would just go away quickly and give me some piece of mind. 

Raghav sighed. "Actually, I won't be here for long so... Please spend some time with me. It won't be for long." He pleaded.

"I'm with my friends right now. It's been so long, try to understand." I tried to convince him.

"Well, you have been with them for the past five days. Can't you at least spend two hours with me?" He frowned.

Urgh! Who told you to come here anyway? He's not leaving me with any choice. 

In the end, Raghav ended up tagging along with us, much to my dismay. It was quite an awkward situation. The only ones talking to him were me, Ashima and Lynda because I secretly told them to. Zen only exchanged a few words. I get a feeling that maybe Zen knows everything, including the things that I still don't know. I'll confront him later. As for Jamie, he pretended that Raghav wasn't even there and Raghav did the same. It's a good thing actually. I don't want something to happen on a bright day like this.

"Oh I almost forgot to tell you. Your parents will be coming soon. Actually we were visiting your Uncle in Delhi, that's why I happened to be here." Raghav said and came a little closer to me so that others won't hear. "We have decided the place, it will be in Saharanpur." He whispered cheerfully while I tried not to look so shock about this. So, its already time, huh!? Why should time run so fast?

"Hey Ayu, why don't you let your parents stay at my house for tonight?" Lynda suggested after I informed that my parents are coming.

"But Lynda, it would be troublesome for you. Besides, you have so many guests to attend." I said, hoping that it doesn't happen.

"Oh come on, its totally fine." Lynda said as she hit by back. "We can always send those nosy Aunties to the guesthouse downstairs. Even the people next door are bothered by their constant blabbering." She hissed and we giggled.

"We'll see." I sighed.

First we went to the nearby food corner to feed our stomachs. Then we proceeded to ride the Columbus. It's been a long time since I've been on those rides so I was definitely enjoying this despite the situation. Afterwards, we stood in line for the giant wheel. It was indeed a long line but I didn't let my fatigue wash over me. It would have been ten times better if this asshole wasn't present here. I had to give him company the entire time and listen to his non-stop blabbering. It was like I came here for him instead of my friends.

I was talking to Raghav when a yo-yo hit his back. A small boy who was standing behind us was playing with it. He must have probably lost balance with his fingers. Raghav picked the yo-yo that fell to the ground.

"Uh! Sor- sorry mister. I was just-" The timid boy said nervously.

"No worries kid. Here take this back." Raghav said politely, giving it to him. The boy thanked him and went back to his mother.

When I turned my head to the front, all my friends were watching him. I guess there's nothing else one could do while standing in a long queue like this.

"It's quite strange but true-" Jamie spoke out nowhere and all attention was on him.

"What is?" Zen asked.

"That kids are innocent and true to their heart. See, even they were capable of seeing right through someone like you." Jamie said with malice while looking straight at Raghav. Alright Jamie, why did you have to open your damn mouth all of a sudden?

"What are you trying to say?" Raghav narrowed his eyes at him.

"Couldn't you see? Even that small boy was scared of you." Jamie said with a triumphant smirk.

My mouth was set in a hard line, trying my best to suppress my laugh while Lynda and Ashima already had their heads turned to the opposite side. I bet they were giggling hideously but didn't show it in front of Raghav.

Raghav cleared his throat. "Well, that's a very bizarre and naive explanation. People aren't judged by children. Try to come up with a better idea next time." Raghav said in a challenging way. Okay this is so not looking good.

"Yeah sure, why not Mr. Know it all." Jamie said a  little louder then mumbled something under his breath.

"What did you just say, you bastard?" Raghav glared at him and suddenly the situation didn't look so funny anymore.

"Raghav stop it." I whisper shouted to him while clutching to his hand. "Come on Jamie, this isn't the time for jokes." I said trying to sound casual mentally praying for them to stop.

Jamie let out a laugh. "I guess there are some people who cannot understa-" He said but was interrupted by Zen and the others who were probably telling him to calm down.

I motioned Zen to do something quick before the situation gets out of hand while trying to soothe down Raghav at the same time.

Zen understood my worry and said something to Jamie that I couldn't hear. He dragged Jamie out of the queue and approached me. "I'm kind of hungry so we're going to grab a bite or two. Don't worry, we'll be back for the ride for sure." Zen assured me and I nodded. I glanced at Jamie who had averted his eyes from us looking guilty. I can't blame him completely. It must be hard for him to be near Raghav. Maybe coming here with Raghav was a bad idea after all.

I let out a breath as soon as Jamie was out of sight. "What is his problem? I just came here for you, not that rascal." Raghav gritted his teeth in anger. And what is YOUR problem? I wanted to yell. He doesn't has the right to question about Jamie when he exactly knows why he was behaving like this.

"Ah well, he was kind of moody today. Don't think about it too much. It's not something to bother yourself with." I faked a smile. 

"You're right. Let's just enjoy these rides." He smiled back. As long as he is assured, then it's okay. I wondered why I'm even keeping up with him. Well its too late to think about it now.

"Did he complain about me?" Raghav asked which brought me out of my thoughts. 

"Not at all." I said in a low voice. At that very instant, I desperately wanted to ask him about what he had said to Jamie that day. What happened that triggered everything afterwards? I wanted to, but I remembered what Jamie had said to me. I can't do anything, can I?

"You're not lying, right?" Raghav looked at me to confirm.

"No, besides, we don't even talk that much." I lied and a lump formed in my throat. No matter how badly I wished for this day to turn out good, I knew that it won't happen.

Jamie and Zen returned after sometime. The giant wheel stopped, it was finally our turn. People started rushing past us since they didn't want to miss their chance. As a result, I got separated from the group with whom I was going to sit with, including Raghav.

I ended up with Jamie and Ashima in a separate cabin from the others. I was sitting next to Jamie while Ashima on the opposite side along with two more strangers. It was fully packed. The giant wheel finally started moving.

The three of us looked at each other blankly and for some odd reason, we bursted out into fits of laughter, scaring the strangers.

"By the way, that was a nice joke Jamie." Ashima said, talking about the comment Jamie made towards Raghav earlier and gave him a high- five.

"Don't be loud Ash, he might hear it, you know." Jamie mocked while taking a peek at the cabin where Raghav was seated. Thankfully, he wasn't looking at us.

"I can't believe you guys. It's not funny, okay?" I said and turned to Jamie. "You two were staring like you were waiting for the other to start a war. It could have gone serious if Zen haven't gotten you out of there."

"Aww! Sorry for making your poor boyfriend angry." He said acting like he was sorry. I and Ashima stared at him blankly. "What?" He asked, bewildered.

I gave a smack on his head to bring some sense onto him while Ashima was already laughing at his idiocy. "That person is not my boyfriend." I said with disgust.

"Seriously?" He raised a brow.

"Oh my God!" I raised my voice. "You thought that the entire time, didn't you?" I said, bewildered.

Jamie looked away with a serious expression. "But then you... you didn't kiss me that time. I thought maybe that was the reason." He said in a low voice and got quiet.

Ashima eyed me as to what happened but I shook my head sideways meaning nothing. I don't know how to reply to that.

As if sensing my uneasiness, Jamie gave a small smile. "Don't worry, I'm glad you stopped in time. It happened at the spur of the moment anyway. It was wrong." He said casually.

"Yeah... Eeek!" I said and shrieked as soon as the giant wheel moved faster. I felt a sudden adrenaline rush and held Jamie's arm on instinct. He gave me a surprise look.

"Sorry." I blushed slightly and jerked my hand away but then the giant wheel moved downwards from its highest point and I had the urge to hold his arm again. I'm not basically scared of rides but I have the habit of holding someone when the rides pick up their speed. I held on to Lynda the entire time while riding the Columbus earlier.

"Please Ashima, sit besides me." I said, giving a puppy look.

"Are you kidding? The ride is almost about to end." She said in amusement. She sure is enjoying this.

"Come on baby, my arms are free for you." Jamie smirked while spreading his arms Bollywood style which made everyone laugh.

"Ahh!" I shrieked and held on to his arm again. "Only for this time." I added.

"Yes Ma'am." He mumbled.

The ride was over soon enough. It wasn't as if I was wishing for it to be longer anyway. Just then my phone buzzed. It was a call from my parents informing me that they are standing at the entrance of the fair.

We went there and soon met my parents. I walked over to greet them followed by Raghav.

"It's so good to see everyone after a long time. How are you doing?" My mother asked my friends.

"We're doing great Aunty. What about you?" Ashima asked them back.

"Yes, we are fine kids. Here, this is for you." My father answered and walked towards Lynda to  hand over a transparent bag. There was a gift inside. "Congratulations on your wedding beta. May God bless you." He said and patted her head as a blessing. Woah! That gift was unexpected.

"Thank you so much Uncle and Aunty." Lynda said giving a warm smile.

"Mention not." Mom replied.

Lynda requested my parents to stay over for tonight and eventually they agreed. They talked to my friends for a little while. In the midst of it, I noticed something really strange but I'm sure that was just my imagination. Then Zen mentioned about how he wished to ride a tractor yet again.

"Don't worry. You'll get that chance soon enough." My father said cheerfully. Zen gave me a puzzled look.

"Oh, didn't you tell them Ayu?" Dad asked me when he noticed their confused expressions.

"It's okay, Dad. I'll tell them later after Lynda's wedding." I said, my heart beating faster by the minute.

"That's rude dear. Raghav, didn't you inform Ayu about the place?" My mother said to me and then asked Raghav.

"I did but she told me not to tell anyone for the time being." Raghav shrugged.

"Okay Ayu, what's going on?" Lynda enquired.

I was starting to feel uncomfortable and tensed. "Nothing, I'll just tell you aft-"

"Don't be so shy. You can tell them." Mom interrupted me and smiled. "Her engagement with Raghav is on second of November. A little more than two weeks from now. It's going to be in Saharanpur which is near to our hometown. A strange co incidence indeed." Mom said cheerfully.

"And no excuses. You are all invited." My father said after her.

The ground beneath me felt like it was slipping away. I could barely hold myself as I started to feel suffocated just witnessing the scene before me. I always dreaded this moment. It was never my intention to tell anyone. I didn't want to let them know. They have asked me about this but I always lied to them that my engagement and marriage is unclear. I only told this to Martha but didn't invite her.  What's the use of inviting them to something that I didn't wish to happen. I didn't expected Raghav to come today. I didn't anticipated for my parents to come and break the news to everyone. I didn't imagine any of this. Screw my luck.

I looked at my friends who were obviously shocked to hear this and then my eyes shifted over to Jamie.

I felt like my heart was caught over my throat. Like I was the worst person ever. I looked away instantly as it became unbearable to watch his face that looked so torn when he wasn't even looking this way.

"Yes as Ayu's close friends, you all are invited. We'll make it big... You too Jamie, make sure you come." Raghav said the last bit to Jamie and my mouth fell open. I saw Jamie who just gave a slight nod. Damn you Raghav, how could you say that?

"That was low." I whispered in spite but Raghav decided to ignore it on purpose. 

We decided to call it a day and went on our way to Lynda's place. I sat on Raghav's car where my parents were sitting besides me. On the way, my mother discussed about the type of dress that I would prefer wearing while my father started talking about the preparations. A small smile crept on my lips. They looked so happy for me. Maybe, it's not as bad as I think it is. Maybe I'll get used to this as time passes and eventually forget my problems.

I went to the washroom as soon as we reached Lynda's place. Ashima followed me for the same and we shared a laugh. "You first." She motioned me towards the toilet door.

After we both were done, I happened to notice something. "Where is Jamie? I haven't seen him around." I asked getting tensed.

"Um, well Zen told us that he went to meet his friend. He got separated when we left the fair." Ashima said with hesitation. It just looked like an excuse to me but who am I to ask anyway. I really hope he's okay.

"Ayu-" Ashima said, her voice soft and took my hand in her's. "Are you really sure about this? You don't look happy at all. Is it really necessary to get married to him?" She asked making a worry face. I sighed.

...

Raghav left during the evening which was a slight relief for me. My parents interacted with Lynda's parents over dinner. Even though I wanted to, I couldn't fully enjoy it as my mind was somewhere else.

It was sickening to hear engagement and marriage over and over again. I was getting sick of everything around me. I took permission and went outside for a walk to vent out some of my frustration. Ugh! Seriously can't these adults talk about something else for a change. It's like they have exhausted out of all the other topics. Stupid people.

The air outside was chilly which felt good for a change. It was almost 10 pm and Jamie still hasn't come back. I had called Zen earlier to ask about Jamie since I didn't had the guts to call him myself. Zen reassured me that he will come back for sure but will stay at his house for tonight since he didn't want to bother Lynda's parents for being so late.

I guess in a way, he doesn't want to face me after knowing that. Well, I don't blame him. If it would have been me finding out that he was marrying some other girl, I would be devastated as well. It's not like we love each other but the past tends to hold a part of those feelings in the present. Suddenly a thought about Alex crossed my mind and I began to wonder how he is at present. Who knows, he might be even married by now?

I walked further drowning myself in my thoughts, feeling more miserable than ever. I guess all I can do is pity myself. I recalled what Ashima, Lynda and Zen had said to me earlier.

"Ayu... are you really sure about this? You don't look happy at all."

"It's not a question that could be answered by a simple yes or no, it's about your entire life. I'm marrying Nishant because we want to... not one of us, but both."

"I don't get why you're doing this? I know you're not that selfless to sacrifice your happiness for the sake of your family. You'll be destroying your life. Think about it Ayu, it's still not too late."

They were right in every sense but they won't understand what I'm going through. They won't exactly know why I'm doing this. No one can. 

I stopped walking and looked at the dark moonless sky. It was as empty as me. The scene before me got blurred as it got covered with my tears. I covered my mouth to control the sobs that escaped through my mouth.

"What can I do? Besides, the only person I wanted to marry in the first place rejected right in front of me. He broke my heart again and again even though he never intended to. I had lost all hope that was ever left within me." 

..

The next day was the 'Big day'. Lynda's marriage was finally here.

The following morning my parents were preparing themselves to leave since they had something important to do. They were grateful to Lynda and her family for letting them stay and gave an invitation to my engagement. I was getting ready to drop my parents off to the station, when I heard from Lynda that Jamie had come back. Without any second thoughts, I exited the room, my eyes searching for that one familiar face amongst the many strangers that were present there.

I wanted to see him.

When I couldn't find him inside Lynda's house, I went downstairs. I walked further outside the building hoping to see him somewhere but no avail. Was Lynda teasing me or what? I was starting to grow impatient. After all, I haven't seen him since yesterday afternoon. Wow! Just look at me, I'm acting like a desperate idiot. I only want a glimpse of him, that's all. There's nothing wrong in that, right?

I walked till the end of the lane and was about to turn left when I heard some voices from a distance. I stopped dead in my tracks. I didn't want to think what I was thinking. I might be hearing things. Those voices were coming to my left. I took a step further reaching the end of the building. There was a small gap between the end of the building and the tree ahead. I peeked in through that gap and my eyes widened at the sight I saw.

"Do you realize how much trouble you have caused for us and Ayu? She thinks that we aren't aware but we know how much she suffered during those days. We asked her but she never told us the reason. She would have already been married and happy if it weren't for you." My mother said, her voice strained.

"It's no use lecturing this brat. These people can never understand. It was Ayu's fault in the first place. She shouldn't have associated with the likes of him. Call Ayu, dear. We should get going." My father said to my mother, completely ignoring Jamie who was standing before them. 

I placed my hand in my mouth in shock. It was too much for me to process all at once. Many questions ran over my head but I realized one thing. No wonder my parents were ignoring him the whole damn time. I thought I was seeing things when I noticed how Mom was looking at Jamie yesterday. They... they knew it all along. But how? I know I had discussed with my parents about how badly I wanted to be with Jamie but I never revealed his name. Hell, I never even hinted that it was one of the guys they know.

Unless... Damnit! How could I be so naive? Raghav might have told them but it could be Nimmi (sister) too since she knew about my relationship with Jamie. It could be either of them or worse both of them.

"Please, listen to me... atleast for once." I heard Jamie speaking to them and noticed him fidgeting with his fingers. 

Dad took a step closer towards Jamie, his eyes bulging with rage. "I will say this only once. Don't mess with us and our daughter ever again. You think we'll listen to you after what you have done. You had your way before but it's not the same now. Do you understand?" My Dad said pointing a finger in front of his face.

"I'm sorry." Jamie said, his face regretful.

What the hell was he apologizing for? You're not the one at fault. I don't get it. As if yesterday wasn't enough and now my parents are blaming him. Why he had to go through all of this? And moreover, couldn't he see how useless it was. I don't even know what exactly he was asking from them.

I saw Dad who looked very angry while Jamie took a step back getting wary. This was seriously bad. I should interfere before the situation got from bad to worse. 

I was about to take a step further when I felt someone's hand gripping mine. It was Zen. "Don't interfere." he told me, his voice low and serious. I looked back at him helplessly.

"But Zen." I said as tears streamed down my face. "I have to stop-"

"I understand how you feel Ayu but it will only make things more difficult for him. Just stay back. If something were to happen then I'll go there, okay?" He whispered and gave me a small smile. I nodded, believing in him.

I missed out something Dad was telling Jamie. Dad turned around to leave while Mom followed him. They were going away while Jamie stood there, looking at the ground. He opened and closed his fists and blinked his eyes, something he would do while feeling nervous.

"I know you don't like me right now and I deeply apologize for all that has happened before. I know it's selfish of me to ask you this but please... I beg you, Mr and Mrs Dutta, listen to me for once! I wish to discuss something in private. It's something important and yes, its regarding your daughter. It will just take a little of your time. I promise... I won't bother you or Ayu after this. It's my humble request." Jamie said with determination. Everyone stood in place, witnessing the drama unfold. Tension surrounded the air like the leaves rustling restlessly around us.

"Request accepted but as you said, once. Although I must tell you that whatever you're trying to prove is useless. Even so, we'll offer you one chance." Dad said, his face a little less serious than before. I noticed Mom whispering something to him.

"Thank you so much sir! Yes, I perfectly understand." Jamie said as relief washed over his face.

"Meet me on Sunday, in my house." Dad said and finally they parted ways.

I stepped back and stood against the wall of the building, motionless for a moment.

What in the name of everything holy just happened?

I thought that maybe my eyes and ears were fooling me or maybe this was nothing but a foolish dream. I was shaken from inside. I don't even know whether to feel better or worse. Only one question echoed inside my head.

"What is he trying to do?" I asked Zen who stood before me with a big smile on his face.

"I'm not the one to tell you that." Zen smirked and glanced at Jamie who stood in the same place, probably lost in thought. "You finally did it buddy. I'm proud of you." He addressed it to Jamie even though he couldn't hear it.

"How come you know everything?!" I glared at him which made him laugh a little.

He placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled. "Best of luck to you... no, to both of you." He winked and walked away leaving me utterly dumbfounded and curious.

Just what were you planning to do Jamie?

                                                      ----------------------------------------

Another cliffhanger haha! I hope you enjoyed this chapter despite my awkward writing. Things are about to get serious now.

It was a bit difficult for me to write the last part since I find it difficult to portray conversations in which adults are involved. It will be challenging for me to write the next part that follows. I'll try my best.

Poor Ayu but not so anymore. Sooo, the main question, What will Jamie do? I think its not too hard to guess that right? Vote and comment everyone.

Aaannd Look forward to the next chapter. 

PS: I don't know if you'll find this good or 'meh' but recently I'm having ideas for a side short story of Destined Choice. It's a love story based on one of the side characters. It will roughly cover up about 9-12 chapters. So guys, can you guess which character? Should I consider writing this even though the story might not be as good as DC. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 2.2K 38
"Inaaya," he calls out, a certain urgency underlying in his tone. "Don't ever fall in love with me." She doesn't say as a moment passes between them...
18.9K 552 21
Many people come and go in our life but only few people meet unexpectedly and become our life and reason to breathe, Maybe that's how destiny works i...
160K 5.2K 70
This is the story of Ian an American boy who is struggling to find the love of his life until he met........ ...
1.9K 120 14
Love doesn't have the same meaning for all but one thing about it is that it's universal. They both long for each other but they fear coming close t...