Counting Minutes | Gay MxM |

By dollygrand

A homeless thief breaks into a house that has nothing worth stealing - except for the heart of a lonely man w... More

Welcome!
1. Smooth Criminal
2. Plan in Motion
3. Watching and Waiting
4. The Magnificent Heist
5. Day Ruined
6. One More Minute
7. Seeing a Ghost
9. Flirty Stalker
10. Letting In
11. Definitely Not Waiting
12. Cup of Tea
13. Change in The Plan
14. Something Special
15. Keeping It Together
16. The Secret Is Out
17. New Identity
18. A Honest Job
19. First Touch
20. Opening The Door
21. His
22. The Importance of Flirting
23. Getting Closer
24. Helpless and Weak
25. Family Trauma
26. To Be Held
27. Invitation
28. No Family
29. Dreaming
30. Stopped From Drowning
31. Diversion
32. Big Step Closer
33. Deepest Wish
34. Nervously Waiting
35. Storm of Emotions
36. Ever So Patient
37. Larger Than Life
38. Forgetting Something
39. A Good Mess
40 Christmas Preparations
41. To Be Able
42. Never Enough
43. Christmas
44. Losing Hair
45. First Time
46. Neglected
47. First of Many
48. He Protect
49. Can and Will
50. Blessed Day
51. A Little Overwhelming
52. I Want
53. Day By Day
54. Minus The Schedule
55. Photograph
56. Not Alone
57. In His Arms
58. The Second Floor
59. Destiny
60. Cakes and Clay Kittens
61. The First Floor
62. Man With Many Names
63. Happiness
64. Video Call
65. Bright Future
66. Tied Forever
Epilogue
Writer Reveal: The Story Behind the Story
67. Extinguishing Fires
68. Under the Sky

8. Pen Pal

10.4K 793 301
By dollygrand

-Blake-

I tried to be as quiet as possible while running through the roof of the terrace. My heart was beating fast, pumping adrenaline through my veins, giving me the boost I desperately needed. I jumped down from the roof without even bothering to check if there was someone to see me, and continued my way across the yard, away from the Simmons' house.

I had made a mistake! A huge one at that! Jordan was probably on the phone already, speaking with the cops, while I ran towards my hiding place. The cops would bring dogs with them, and those darned creatures would find my trail easily! My scent was all over the place! I was practically offering them my head on a silver plate! Christ!

If I acted fast, I had the possibility to get far away from that rotten place. It was a long shot since I had spent way too long in the city, and now both Jordan and his mother knew how I looked. Screw that, Jordan was talented enough to paint an accurate picture of me! But, I had to try.

"You're so stupid," I muttered to myself, climbing up the hill to my hiding place. 

Once there, I grabbed my backpack and turned to look at Simmons' house. I saw Mrs. Simmons in her study, doing paperwork like nothing had happened. My instincts were screaming at me to make a run for it, but I couldn't. It was like my feet were glued on the ground.

I stared at the house for a long time, ready to flee if I saw anything out of the ordinary. I knew it was ridiculous, but I wished with every fiber in my body that Jordan wouldn't call the cops. Minutes passed, and nothing happened. The house stayed quiet, and Mrs. Simmons concentrated on her papers, letting out a sigh now and then.

I couldn't understand any of it. Why didn't Jordan call the cops? It made no sense. Anyone sane enough would've called the cops already. I had been there just to watch him with no intention to harm him, yes, but even that was all kinds of wrong. And yet, nothing.

I waited. I wanted to see what Jordan was going to do. This was way too absurd for me to just leave. I was way too damn curious for my own good, but I had to see this through. If I left now, it would haunt me for the rest of my life. My fate was now in the hands of that beautiful man.

After what felt like an eternity, Mrs. Simmons looked at her watch and put her papers away. I, too, checked my watch. It was time for mommy dearest to call her son.

-Jordan-

I was pacing around in my living room when the intercom started to ring on my desk. I stopped to a halt and turned to look at the closest clock with wide eyes.

"Jordan? Honey?"

It was my mom's voice. I hurried to the intercom, so she wouldn't get worried, and opened the line. "H-Hi mom," I breathed out and sat down on a chair in front of the desk.

"What's wrong? You sound scared," Mom spoke, and her tone was worried.

I stared at the intercom for a moment, before turning to look through the glass walls. The balcony was still empty. There was no sign of the man that had been there. Now, I wasn't even sure if I had really seen what I saw.

"Uh, I'm fine. I uh... I just was doing my exercises," I said, trying to sound convincing.

"Didn't Mr. Xavier tell you to take it easy for now?" Mom asked.

"Yes... Yes, he did..." I muttered.

I couldn't take my eyes off the spot where the man had been standing. It was hard to concentrate on what Mom was saying. I was too busy thinking about that stranger.

"Jordan? Are you listening?" Mom asked at one point, and I realized I had completely ignored her.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked, and forced myself to look at the intercom.

"Are you sure everything's all right?" she asked, sounding worried again.

I had never lied to her, but for some reason, I didn't want to tell her about the stranger. I had no idea why I felt the need to keep it as a secret. Maybe I had lost my mind for good.

"I moved my couch... It's bothering me," I lied, hating myself for doing so. I just couldn't tell her the truth.

"Oh," she uttered. "If it's too much, you should move it back. Remember, you should be taking it easy for now."

"Yes, mom," I sighed. "I should go now, I'll move it back..."

"You do that. I'll call you tomorrow again," Mom said tenderly. We bid our goodnights and ended the call.

I continued staring at the intercom for a moment before I had to look back at the balcony. I hesitated for another moment, before I stood up, and walked to the balcony door. I carefully peered outside, but I didn't see anybody. I gathered my courage, before I unlocked the door, and opened it. I listened to every sound around me, but I didn't hear anything unusual, so I stepped out.

I was nervous, and about to freak out, when I took a few steps towards the flowerpots, the two that weren't where they should've been. It was just an inch of a difference, but to me, it might as well been a mile. The strange man had been hiding behind the roses, but why?

And, how did he get up on my balcony? I looked over the railings, but I didn't see anything that could be used to climb up. Could he have jumped? It seemed impossible, but the guy was pretty tall. Maybe he was tall enough to reach the edge? He couldn't have climbed all the way up on my roof, and then jump down on the balcony since I definitely would've heard it.

But why? Why on earth had he been in my balcony? How many times had he been there? I leaned against the railing and tried to think. The cool wind felt nice on my face, and I breathed in the fresh air. I turned to look at the flowerpots again. I let my mind trail back to that night when I had fainted. The flower pots had been out of their place, and I couldn't remember why. Was it possible the man had been here that night? But why? How? I had been the only one home that night, so I couldn't even ask my family if they had seen him...

And then it clicked. It all clicked.

"Blake... Smith..." I muttered the name out loud. "Oh my," I added before starting to laugh.

I hadn't laughed in a while, and now I couldn't stop. I had to take a good grip on the railings while trying to stay on my feet.

"Poor Mr. Smith," I chuckled while gasping for air. "You chose the wrong house."

I had seen documents about mastermind criminals, but never thought I could end up being one of the victims.

There was only one explanation for everything. Blake was a thief. He had to be. The night when I had fainted was the same night my family had gone to the opera. The tickets had to be a trick to lure them out. I had heard of a plan like that before, several times actually. Mr. Smith must've been watching our home somewhere, but he hadn't seen me, so he got tickets only for four people. Joyce didn't go, but she had sneaked out.

That man had tried to rob us. How my mother had described the guy she had taken to a hospital fit perfectly with the man in my balcony. It had to be the same guy, I just knew it without even needing to throw in the fact they had the same exact name.

But I still had questions. He had managed to lure out my family, but did he succeed in getting into our home? I was sure my mom would've told me if she had found out someone had broken in. She would've been frantic about it, making sure I was all right. So, maybe he never got into our house, but why? Surely, after all that trouble, he wouldn't have given up that easily?

"The window..." I whispered. I had told Mom a long time ago that Joy used that one window on the second floor to sneak out, but no matter how many times Mom had grounded her, she still kept doing that now and then. The problem was that when she did that, she left the window unlocked. As long as we had working cameras that alerted us immediately whenever someone stepped on our property, we weren't that worried. Even after losing the cameras, we weren't worried. We lived in a peaceful city, in a secured neighborhood with top-notch surveillance, so having one window occasionally open for a couple of hours didn't feel like such a big thing, but now I could see the naivety in our actions.

Mom had encountered the man a couple of weeks ago. The opera was a week ago. The man, Blake, had been probably watching our house ever since he gave the tickets to my mom. If he had, he had probably seen Joy leaving the house, and leaving the window open.

"You did get in..."

And then what? We had nothing worth to steal. Even our electronics were so old no one wouldn't pay more than five bucks for them. I started laughing when I thought about his face when it occurred to him he would leave the house empty-handed.

"You must've been mad," I muttered and walked back inside.

No one else knew our family was poor, except for the debt collectors. Outsiders thought we were rich since we owned two companies. Poor Blake Smith had chosen us because he thought we had money. The neighborhood was filled with rich families, but he chose us. Now that was some pretty crappy luck. Maybe he chose us because our house located at the end of the driveway with only one close neighbor on our left, and the tall hill on our right.

"You are hiding in the forest, right? No one sees you there," I kept talking while I walked into my bathroom.

I didn't turn on the lights when I walked to the huge window. I saw the hill in front of me and tried to see anything out of the ordinary. I knew Blake couldn't see me through the window since it was reflective.

He must have found a way into our neighborhood without being seen. It seemed awfully troublesome to get over the tall, brick wall and climb on the hill just to watch a house. Maybe he had a camera of his own, set to keep an eye on our house? I had heard some criminals did that. The weather was getting really cold, especially at nights, so no one in their right mind would stay on the hill for too long.

I turned around in the bathroom. The last thing I remembered of that night, was me taking a shower. I had no memory of what happened after that. The next morning, I woke up in my bed with no clothes on.

"Were you in my room?" I spoke quietly with a frown. "Did I see you? Is that why I fainted?"

I tried to remember if I had felt any pain or anything weird when I woke up the next day. I remembered being completely naked, and my towel was in my bed. If he had been in my room, and now I was getting quite sure that was indeed the case, Blake hadn't hurt me. He hadn't stolen anything from me either, even though some of my belongings were somewhat valuable.

But, the question I had no answer for, but I really, really needed one, was still burning in my mind.

"Why were you watching me?" I asked.

I didn't see anything in the dark forest, so I gave up and turned to see my clock. I was supposed to be taking a shower already. I had completely forgotten my schedule! I waited for a panic attack to hit me, but I was too busy thinking about Blake Smith. I turned my attention out of the window again.

"You thought I'm calling the cops," I said. "That's why you ran."

I wasn't going to tell anyone about Blake. I knew I should not tell anybody about him, and I had a simple reason for it. Because of Blake Smith, I had just ignored my clock for the first time in almost fifteen years.

  -Blake-

Nothing happened. I waited for hours, but no cops showed up. Mr. and Mrs. Simmons did their work and went to bed after midnight. Their daughters stayed up a bit longer, but an hour later, the whole house was asleep.

"Why didn't you call the police?" I asked with a small smile. "I think you're crazy."

I was sitting in my hiding place, trying to decide what to do. I wanted to know why Jordan hadn't called the cops. I wondered if he was still awake. Would he answer my questions, if I went to ask him? Or was he waiting for me to return, so he could get evidence?

I was too restless to even think about sleeping. It wasn't even wise to go to sleep anyway. If there was someone searching for me, I wanted to be awake and ready to run.

"Screw this," I chuckled and stood up.

My life had just turned really interesting, and I wasn't going to sneak in the shadows. If I got caught, I would serve my time and move on. I was a small-time criminal anyway, so my sentence wouldn't be that long even if I was stepping into a trap. I was young, restless and way too curious to just leave. I wanted to see what was going to happen next, and I desperately wanted to talk with Jordan. I wanted to know if his voice was as beautiful as the rest of him.

So, I threw away all my cautiousness and started climbing back down to the house. The path was already familiar to me, and before I knew it, I was hauling myself up onto Jordan's balcony.

All the lights were off inside, so I didn't see where he was. Jordan was probably asleep already if he was able to do so – I knew I wouldn't be. Or then he was videotaping every move I made. I forgot that thought when I lowered my gaze to the ground.

There was a piece of paper, folded under one of the flowerpots. I kneeled down and lifted the flowerpot just enough to get the paper from under it. There was a pen inside the paper, and when I opened it, I saw some text on it.

I looked around and sat down before I started reading the paper.

Boy, you chose the wrong house. Don't worry, I didn't call the police... yet. If you don't want me to call them, answer these few questions.

1. You are Blake Smith, the guy my mom took to the hospital a few weeks ago. Is that your real name?

2. I know you tried to rob us, but did you get in our house? Did you take anything?

3. Were you on the third floor? Did you see me?

4. How did you get on my balcony, and WHY are you watching me?

I stared at the paper, trying to hold back my laugh. Of course, Jordan had done the math and understood why I was there. He would probably give the paper to the police, but I had forgotten how to be careful. I was actually enjoying this.

I took the pen and turned the paper around.

Yes, I did pick the wrong house. Thank you for not calling the cops, and I will gladly answer your questions.

1. My real name is Blake, but I don't have a last name.

2. I did get into your house, but I didn't take anything, I don't rob poor people.

3. Yes, and yes, but you fainted, so I carried you to bed.

4. It's not easy, but I climbed on it. I was supposed to be on my way, but I had to come back to see you. I think you are absolutely beautiful.

Since I have answered all your questions, would you please answer mine?

1. Why don't you come out of your room? I was watching your house for quite some time, and I never saw you, not even once.

2. You are obsessed about time, am I right?

3. I was in your room, and you fainted, so I was wondering if you remember me, since I never saw any cops around?

4. If your family is poor, why do you have a housekeeper?

I never meant any harm, I'm just a simple thief, trying to earn my living somehow.

I had a million more questions, but Jordan had asked me only four, so it kind of felt like I didn't have the right to ask more. I really hoped Jordan would answer me. I really was way too curious for my own health.

I looked around again before I returned the paper and the pen under the flowerpot. I tried to see Jordan through the glass walls, but I could only see the reflection of the moon and the stars.

I sighed and got back up on my feet, feeling suddenly really tired. I returned to my hiding place on the hill and took the sleeping bag out of my backpack. I smothered a laugh when I tried to find a comfortable place to lie on the hard ground.

It had been a really weird day, even for me.

-Jordan-

I knew I was doing wrong when I didn't tell anyone about the criminal, who was sneaking around our home. I had never been so foolish in my life, I was well aware of that, but I still didn't want to believe the strange man was dangerous. He didn't look dangerous, even my mom called him a really nice and kind man. Obviously, it wasn't enough proof, but I wasn't being rational.

So, instead of being a rational human being who would've told the cops about him, I wrote Blake a letter, asking all the questions I needed an answer to. I needed to know what was going on. I wished so hard that he would return and answer to my questions because if he didn't, I'd probably lose my mind.

Once I had planted the letter under a flowerpot, I returned inside, turned off the lights and lay down on the couch, staying hidden behind the backrest. Every now and then, I peeked at the balcony, hoping to see the man there, only to be left disappointed.

I waited for a long time. I wasn't tired at all, and even though I was pretty sure Blake wouldn't return that night – if he was going to return at all – I still waited. When it was way past midnight, and I was about to give up, I finally saw Blake climbing over the railing, landing behind the flowerpots. I retreated back into my hiding place, and waited for a moment, before peering back at him.

I felt excited and nervous at the same time when I watched him kneeling down on the ground and moving the flowerpot. After that, he sat down behind it, and I couldn't see what he was doing anymore. Blake didn't stay long, but after I saw him dropping down from the balcony, I waited for ten minutes, before I got up from my couch and walked to the door.

I was careful when I opened the door and stepped out. Blake could still be somewhere close by, waiting for me to step out, so I had to be cautious. He could be waiting for me on the roof below. I sneaked to the railing and peered over it, but I didn't see anyone around.

I turned my attention to the piece of paper and picked it up. Blake had answered to me! I hurried back inside to read what Blake had written on it.

"So, I was right about you," I said when I read the first three of his answers.

I started to read the fourth one. Blake's answer made me blush lightly. He had been watching me because he thought I was beautiful? Either it was a lie, or then Blake was a pervert! Had he been watching me whenever I had been changing clothes?! Was he a rapist after all?

I tried to ignore the uneasy feeling I had and continued reading the questions Blake had left for me. I felt sad when I saw them. I knew I was a freak. It was a proper answer to the first three of his questions. I couldn't step out of my rooms, because I was a freak. Yes, I was obsessed about time, because I was a freak. Yes, I had fainted, and no, I couldn't remember him, because I was a freak.

"So, you were in my rooms..." I muttered and looked at the fourth question. "Why do we have a housekeeper?"

What kind of question was that? It was so ridiculous I started laughing again. I grabbed the pen and started to write.

1. I just can't, all right?

2. So what if I'm obsessed?

3. No, I don't remember you.

4. What is with this question? You could've asked me like a million other questions! And no, I won't tell you. I think you are a rapist, so why should I answer you?

I didn't even hesitate to go put the paper back under the flowerpot. I was still laughing at the question about our housekeeper. I thought about it, and suddenly, it wasn't such a weird question anymore.

I was starting to feel really sleepy. I didn't even bother to go take a shower – I had missed my schedule anyway, so I could just go to bed already.

It had been a really weird day for me. I wasn't sure which one was weirder: the fact that I had a criminal stalking me, or that I wasn't freaking out about it, even though I had seen another person up close, and missed my schedule.

Neither. The weirdest part was definitely the fact that I was blushing when I thought about Blake calling me beautiful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.6K 1.3K 89
Life has always been the same. Eat. Sleep. Work. Repeat. All this while, it has been a hustle. I thought that finally I can take a breather. Until...
2K 89 15
"𝐅-𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐃-𝐝𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐜" "𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰" "𝐅-𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐢𝐭" "𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐘�...
27.4K 1.2K 42
Trevor returns home after a usual day at work, but there he encounters something unusual-an intruder sitting on the couch, who at first doesn't seem...
2.4K 159 10
A fake priest and a Sicilian mob boss at odds. What could possibly go wrong? *** Roman is a life long slacker and a hardcore gambling addict. After...