The Enchantment of Lady Ice

Galing kay greenwriter

The Ice Lady... She is not the most charming. In fact, she is too cold, too frank, and too flat. Worse, the o... Higit pa

I. Classic Invaders
II. Tables Turned
III. Unexpected Unwanted Attention
IV. Too Fast, Too Soon
V. Lovers
VI. Disappearing Act
VII. Chasers
VIII. On the Way to Dartridge
IX. Too Foxed Strangers
X. By the River
XI. Angry Tardy
XII. Shackled and Sealed
XIII. Cursed Romance
XIV. The Next Time
XV. Invitations
XVI. The Arrival
XVII. Candidates
XVIII. Cornered
XIX. When Gentlemen Gossip
XX. Shopping Gone Wrong
XXI. Friends: Old and New
XXIII. Hunting Friends and Fiends
XXIV. The Legendary Grey's Fiasco
XXV. The Honest Lord
XXVI. A Desperate Lord
XXVII. Vows to the Future
XXVIII. Gossips
XXIX. The Most-Loved in Wickhurst
XXX. The Secret Player
XXXI. Gift
XXXII. Another Everard
Author's Note
Rachel & Eustace | 1
Rachel & Eustace | 2
Rachel & Eustace | 3
Rachel & Eustace | 4
Rachel & Eustace | 5
Rachel & Eustace | 6
Rachel & Eustace | 7
Rachel & Eustace | 8
Rachel & Eustace | 9
Rachel & Eustace | 10

XXII. Chaperones

30.6K 2.2K 260
Galing kay greenwriter

"Friends?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yes."

Alice looked over to where Eva and Rachel were standing before she fixed a confused look at him. "You clearly expressed we cannot be friends."

Harold cleared his throat and shrugged. "I realized it is better than having no clear boundaries."

Alice scoffed. "My lord, I just made three new friends this season. Three is too much. Adding another, most particularly you, would be draining."

"We will always constantly be in each other's presence, Alice. We can be friends."

"Not for long."

"Whatever do you mean?"

Alice waved her hand to dismiss his question. She had no intention of announcing her decision to leave Wickhurst early.

"I wish you to be successful. I care for you," he added when she did not offer her answer.

"Successful in what?"

"Finding a husband, of course," he said, making her feel even more irritated.

"You will help me find a suitable husband?"

His emerald green eyes were unreadable as he nodded. "If that will make you happy."

"Are you doing this because you feel guilty?"

He blinked and she noticed him show a tiny sign of panic. "No."

"Then why are you doing this, my lord?"

"Because I admit I cannot just ignore your presence any longer. It proves to be harder than I thought. And since I cannot marry, you should at least find a husband better than me."

What a bloody idiot.

"And what if I want you?" she asked, tone challenging.

His face blanched. "Alice, you know..."

She so wanted to claw on his face, the bastard. But there was a better way than that.

Alice was aware that they would both merely suffer in this friendship. She would love to spare herself of it, but she would love to see his suffering nonetheless.

He was correct when he once said they could not be friends. Wickhurst had proven that very fact despite the long months of being apart.

She would love to witness how he would find his own statement to be true.

"Very well. Can you handle it?"

"Finding you a husband? Yes, I believe so."

"No, me being courted."

He blinked again. It took him longer to reply. "Yes, I believe so."

Alice sighed and shook her head. Eva and Rachel were not looking at their direction. "You know that this is a very odd conversation, yes?"

"I agree."

"Very well. How do you intend to be my friend?"

"Like a friend should be."

She nodded.

"No kissing."

"No touching."

"You will find me a husband. One that is better than you."

"Yes."

"Very well. I challenge you."

Harold nodded with determination. He smiled at her in a way that Alice wanted to put a hole through his face with her fist and kiss him at the same time.

"I accept the challenge," he said, smile still in place.

"Then will you allow me to escort you back home?"

"In your carriage?"

"Yes."

She squared her shoulders and lifted her chin.

She would suffer this newly found friendship.

But then, so would he.

*****

Harold could not help but think that he made a very drastic and stupid proposition.

To be confined in a small moving room with Alice was not very friendly at all. He was thinking of many things and all of them crossed the boundaries of friendship.

But he had to stand by his decision.

This was better, he told himself. He simply had to bloody start believing himself and think of her as his friend.

Clearing his throat, he turned away from the window to stare at her. She was already looking at him expectantly, a corner of her lips curved into a mysterious smile, as though she knew something he did not. Whatever it was, it surely made her quite happy.

"Is your mother not joining you at all this season?" he asked.

She shook her head. "She seems to enjoy Lady Vivian's company more these days."

He nodded. "It is good that she can enjoy."

"The mourning is over, after all."

"I am sorry I have not met your father. I am certain he was a great man."

"He was, actually," she said, lips curving into a bigger smile. She looked at him straight in the eyes. "He always encouraged me to do whatever I wanted at any given point."

"Like loving horses more than humans?"

She scoffed, probably her version of a laugh. "Not to a point. But yes, he hired the best instructors when I expressed my desire to learn to ride."

"And when did you start learning?"

"Four."

His eyes widened. "You cannot be serious."

"I am." She frowned. "I reckon you started late."

"I—I well," he shifted in his seat. "I started a little later than you."

"How late?"

Harold blinked. "One or two years," and then he mumbled, "a few."

"Ah, then you started very late."

Harold rolled his eyes. "I was fifteen."

This time she chuckled, perhaps her version of condescension. "No wonder you fell." Her lips quivered with humor.

"I would appreciate it if we do not mention how your horse threw me off its back."

"Of course, if it mends your pride."

Harold narrowed his eyes at her. "I may not be the best horse rider, my lady, but I am the best with swords. I picked up one when I was three."

"And have you improved since then?" she asked, brows raised both in humor and misgiving.

"You are not hurting my pride at all," he said with confidence, ignoring her mocking. "And I am as good with a pistol as I am with a sword."

She nodded, although her expression remained doubtful. "Very well, if you say so. I have no way to test your abilities as we speak, after all."

"I would not wish for you to witness it, but I would love to see the look on your face if ever that happens."

She merely nodded.

A comfortable silence followed their conversation and Harold marveled at it for a while.

"Perhaps we can have a duel," she suggested after a while. "I know how to handle a sword."

"You will never win."

"Oh, but it will be on horseback."

Harold shot her a look of warning and she laughed.

It was the most wonderful sound.

*****

Five days later, Eva told Alice very exciting news.

"Oh, Eva!" Alice exclaimed, smiling genuinely as she embraced her friend. "Are you certain?"

Eva nodded. "Yes. I am very certain. I have been wanting to tell you for days but I was afraid I was wrong. But now I am certain."

Alice could not contain her laughter. She placed her hand on her friend's still flat abdomen. "How did Martin react?"

"He is ecstatic, of course," her friend said, eyes glimmering with happy tears.

"Everything is going marvelous for you both," she said, holding her friend's hands. "Martin has inherited another estate which is far larger than Surley. And now you have a possible heir and a child you can both love and cherish! How wonderful!"

Eva wiped her tears with her fingers, chuckling. "I was not expecting you to be this happy."

"Well, I am more than happy! This is famous!" She narrowed her eyes at Eva. "But you will need another heir soon. Someone will have to inherit Surley in the future."

"Oh, I care not for heirs. I just want a home, Martin and my children."

"Well, that is true." She jumped to her feet and walked over to her dresser. "Now, how about we go down for breakfast? We cannot have you hungry in your condition."

"You sound like Martin before I rushed here."

Alice chuckled. "Well, we are both right!"

*****

Alice was still in a very good mood by afternoon when they went to Café Royal to meet Pepper and Brandon. This time, Martin was with them.

She did not bother to ask about Harold as she knew where he would be at that moment. He would be meeting his father as he informed them last night during dinner.

His presence in Martin's villa was constant since that night they decided to be friends. Although it was apparent that they were still trying their best to get used to each other's presence as friends, Alice was starting to believe that Harold's motives were genuine when he said he wanted to help her find a husband.

She would not need a husband from Wickhurst for she was leaving soon, but she did not tell him that. He did not have to know because it was her life's greatest pleasure to watch him contradict every suggestion Martin made for Alice's marriage prospects.

He found faults in every name—including the names—frustrating not only Martin but also Eva.

It was difficult for Alice to watch him try to be a good friend, for she would never see him as such, yet she had also decided that this was the farthest they could be for each other. They had been lovers for a night, but unfortunately, it did not work out. Now, they were friends, probably the most awkward in existence, but also not quite.

It would have to do until she left Wickhurst and tell her mother of her plans. She would not have to meet him for years.

"The hunting game will be soon," Martin told Brandon. "But I am afraid I cannot join as my presence is required at Lettice House."

"I am not joining either," Brandon announced. "I have no talent in hunting."

"But I do," Pepper chimed in. "I have been trained."

Brandon sighed. "Yes, she is good at hunting," he wryly said.

"I hunt as well," Alice said.

"Oh, truly?" asked Pepper, voice excited. "Where do you hunt?"

"The edge of the Dark Forest."

Pepper's eyes widened. "You cannot be serious!"

"I do not venture inside," she said with a wave of her hand. "Do not be too amazed."

"I can only do so at my uncle's estate. I always wanted to hunt within the Wickhurst Woods." Pepper turned to Brandon. "Perhaps I should join."

"No," Brandon and Martin said at the same time.

"But I will," Alice said with finality. "I have never been into the Wickhurst Woods and I have heard it is a good place for hunting. The Dark Forest, or the place where we hunt at least, is too familiar now. I need something challenging."

"No, Alice. Your mother will kill me if—"

"You will not be able to stop her if she wants to do it, Martin," Eva said to her husband. "And I tell you, Alice is a good hunter."

"And so am I," Pepper said. "I will join as well."

"Your mother will kill you," Brandon warned her.

"My mother was the one who handed me my first rifle, Brandon," Pepper said. "She trusts them more than she trusts you, if you must know."

Eva laughed while her husband glared at Alice and Pepper. "You will be the center of gossip if you do. Wickhurst is different from the country, my ladies. Here, women do not join a hunting game."

"Then Wickhurst lacks more women," Alice said. "Pepper and I are joining."

Martin rubbed the bridge of his nose with his fingers and moaned. "She is not going to consider not going, is she?" he asked Eva. Her friend simply nodded.

"Very well," said Martin, "I will have to ask Harold to chaperone all of you to the hunting game. Brandon will certainly not be enough."

"I am also going?" Brandon asked.

"You do not have to join the hunt, fret not, Brandon," Pepper said. "You simply have to be there. I will need someone to carry my riffles for me."

Brandon took a long breath and stared at Martin. "We ought to force Lord Kenward to join us."

*****

Harold fell into his chair looking like a dead man. Theobald and Martin stared at him while the server immediately approached with his drink.

"I reckon it is his father," Theobald told Martin.

Martin nodded with a mocking sympathetic nod. "The only person who can roast him without a fire."

Harold sighed and reached for his drink. "This is to my roasting," he said, raising his glass before downing the drink. "Have I missed anything?" he asked, looking at the strewn cards on their table.

"Martin is having a babe soon," Theobald said. "And he shall be the Lord of Lettice before it is born."

Harold's face lit up in surprise. "Felicitations, my friend."

Martin's smile widened. "Thank you. My father is very proud, although I do not see why someone's unfortunate death and inadequacy of heir can be my victory."

"You did not stray and became a rebel" Theobald pointed out. "And you managed to stay alive to claim the estate for your own. That is a rather good feat."

Martin shrugged.

"Lettice is too far away, Martin," Harold pointed out. "Will Eva wish to reside there?"

"She cannot wait to do so, apparently. She is not that fond of Wickhurst. A country lady will always remain as such."

Harold lifted his drink again. "Wickhurst will miss your bloody arse. And Greys will not even care."

Theobald laughed while Martin glared at Harold to say, "If ever the time comes that you marry, you bastard, you will understand the priorities and responsibilities of a married man. And by the by, speaking of responsibilities, I order you to chaperone my wife and her friends at the hunting game. I will not be available as I have to travel to Lettice House. They are insisting to go on their own."

Harold wryly stared at his friend. "I have not time to chaperone, Martin. My father has given me enough responsibilities as it is."

"But have you not been helping Alice find a husband? In fact, you are too invested in the task that we have selected none!" his friend pointed out with sarcasm.

Rolling his eyes, he said, "It is not my fault this season is lacking of the great gentlemen. But that is beside the point," he said, moving his hands in emphasis. "Martin, it is a bloody hunting game. They will be hunting animals, not spouses!"

Martin sighed. "You can spare the time. The ladies are coming to the game whether with or without me. Downworth will not be enough man to see to their safety."

"And why is Downworth chaperoning?"

"Because his lady love will be there, why else?"

"Lady love? I have not seen him tailing Alice like he used to. Why is he wasting time now?"

"What the bloody hell are you talking about? Mind not, I care very little. All I care is that you join him and make certain nothing happens to Alice."

"Only Alice? What about your wife?"

"My wife is not joining the bloody game."

It took a while before Harold managed to grasp the statement and when he did, he nearly fell off his chair as he shot forward to growl, "She is insane!"

"Hmm," Theobald commented. "Interesting."

"And you allowed her?" Harold gritted out.

Martin stared at him incredulously. "Well, I am not her mother!"

"Her mother entrusted her safety to you!"

Martin helplessly raised his hands and let them drop in frustration. "Then you tell her. Let us see if you can make a difference before she opts to aim her rifle at you first."

Harold puffed, still in disbelief. "Is she bloody crazy! She could get hurt."

"I can chaperone," Theobald said, face glowing with interest. "I would love to spend more time with the first woman who would dare risk it all to join the Wickhurst hunting game."

Martin shrugged. "Very well, if Harold cannot spare the time—"

"My rifles will be ready to shoot her pretty face in two days," Harold interjected, leaning back into his chair. "By the time you come back, she will be dead. By my own bloody hands. For being too impetuous and careless. And insane."

"Or," the amused Martin said, "I will be arriving to an Everard burning ritual."

Martin could be correct. "Bloody Downworth. That man can barely hold his own drink at Greys."

"Then I am glad that you volunteered," said Martin with a satisfied smile.

"But I am still joining, so update your chaperone count to three," Harold heard Theobald say as his mind angrily drifted to Alice.

A bloody hunting game! Was she trying to prove a point?

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

3.7M 216K 46
"They may see you as how you try to be, but what I see is what you try not to be." SHE IS A BASTARD... Maxine Theobald hid from the rest of soc...
32.4K 925 16
*A SHORT WINTER ROMANCE* .⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅. 𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐞 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐬 and 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 used to be best friends. Until Bonnie's parents decided to mo...
178K 6.1K 50
A love story between two women One that has been through a heartbreak, not once, but twice, that had changed her life completely. Ms. Cold Stone, as...
243 30 22
Like all interesting stories, this one begins with a curse. A kingdom that is cursed to an eternal winter. But the thing is, the curse hasn't been br...