Keeping Skylar

By NaughtyBlonde

Cody is rather possessive over Skylar which drives her crazy. Unfortunately for her, his possessive nature kn... More

Warning
Chapter 1: Misunderstanding
Chapter 2: Priorities
Chapter 3: Mission Infuckingpossible
Chapter 4: Hide and Seek
Chapter 5: Upgrade
Chapter 6: Dress and Distress
Chapter 7: I Don't Want Her Either
Chapter 8: Plaid Skirts
Chapter 9: The Baseball Basement
Chapter 10: Cheerocracy
Author's Note
Chapter 11: Another Man's Treasure
Chapter 12: Sleeping Beauty
Chapter 13: Biology Fiasco
Chapter 14: A Whole New Meaning to Pole Vaulting
Chapter 15: Whatever
Chapter 16: Puzzle Pieces
Chapter 17: Jackass Jenkins
Chapter 18: Being Short Sucks
Chapter 19: Chelsea's Sex Prep School
Chapter 20: You Had Me At Wrestle
Chapter 21: Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater
Chapter 22: Stop Calling Me That
Chapter 23: Deal with the Devil
Chapter 24: Way-Too-Cute-To-Be-Legal
Chapter 25: Daydreams
Chapter 26: Fake Girlfriend
Chapter 28: Not Good Enough
Chapter 29: The Cure
Chapter 30: Daddy's Princess
Chapter 31: Tied Down
Chapter 32: Janitor's Closet
Chapter 33: Reactions
Chapter 34: Surprising News
Chapter 35: Apology
Chapter 36: Wrestling Match
Chapter 37: Pathetic Prick
Chapter 38: An Unforgettable Winter
Chapter 39: Fist Fight for Answers
Chapter 40: Water Through My Fingers
Chapter 41: Footsteps
Chapter 42: More Suspects
Chapter 43: The Basement
Chapter 44: Car Chase
Chapter 45: Baseball Clues
Chapter 46: Bathroom Window
Chapter 47: Answers
Chapter 48: 50's Pin-Up Doll
Chapter 49: Donovan
Chapter 50: Candelilla Wax
Chapter 51: Backbone
Chapter 52: Found

Chapter 27: My Motivation

13.1K 292 83
By NaughtyBlonde

The reception takes place in a tent behind the mansion. I'm not entirely sure how the football team can afford such an extravagant place for their celebration but I don't ask any questions. Everyone knows our school's football budget is insanely out of proportion with its other sports and also a big part of the reason behind the rivalry between football and baseball.

We enter the tent and I instantly feel overwhelmed. The place is swarming with parents, players, and cheerleaders, all dressed up nicely for the event. My eyes scan the room and I heave sigh. There's no sign of Chelsea. She's with Justin right now, dang it. From across the room, I catch someone's eyes and my heart sinks.

Cody.

Of course. I knew he was going to be here, but I wasn't mentally prepared to see him alone surrounded by five or six cheerleaders, each of them batting their fake eyelashes and twirling strands of their perfectly curled hair flirtatiously. Gross. They're all vying for his attention.

Hanley takes my hand in his and gives me a reassuring squeeze. I smile sheepishly in return.

Tonight, my task is to make Cody jealous of Hanley, which is much easier said than done. Cody's over me. He doesn't even want to talk to me very much. But then why do his eyes hold such anger? They scan the length of my body, only stopping at my waist and clenching his fists up at the sight of my hand holding Hanley's.

Hanley notices Cody's fixed attention and turns to face me, gripping both of my hands and bending down so our faces are only inches apart. When he opens his mouth to speak, a wave of minty breath fills my nostrils.

"I want you to smile really big," he whispers so no one else can hear, "And pretend like you're having a good time with me." He tucks a loose strand of my hair behind my ear. I take a deep breath and oblige. I place my hand on his chest, flirtatiously giggling as if he had just whispered a flirty joke.

When I glance back up to where Cody is, our eyes meet briefly before his gaze quickly snaps away, resuming conversation with the girls around him.

We mingle for a while before the head coach, Coach Barton, gets up on the mic in front of the room. Hanley leads me to a table, guiding me with his hand on the small of my back.

The reception drags on for hours with the coach's address, two keynote speakers, the presentation of the trophy and plaque, team pictures, and finally it is tim  for the captain's speech. Unfortunately for me, that means listening to Cody's voice for minutes on end.

After the coach introduces him, Cody makes his way to the podium with suave. Once he arrives, he begins by thanking everyone for coming tonight and supporting the team throughout the season.

It's been a while since I've seen Cody acting so... well, normal. He's a natural at public speaking; he always has been. He flashes his million dollar smile at the crowd before moving into team awards. Just listening to his perfect voice sends shivers down my spine and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little turned on by his confidence. And a little wet too...

"As you very well know, every year it's the captain's duty to present team awards. Firstly, I would like to present this years Most Improved Award to an athlete who showed incredulous grit and unwavering perseverance throughout the season. This year's recipient is Landon Sharp."

I watch with pride as Landon rises from his seat. Jen sits next to him beaming as he heads up to the stage. It's only then when I notice the bitch trio sitting across the room with scowls on their faces. Bentley and Larson sit on either sides of the queen herself: Tanya Cummings.

Today, Tanya is adorned in a green ensemble. She wears a dress with short v-neck top and a body-con fabric. Her shoes match her dress in color and style. As always, she looks good.

Cody presents the rest of the awards, but I don't pay much attention to the recipients. I'm lost in the lullaby of Cody's sultry voice. The pure sound of his voice as it rings throughout the room excites my core. I feel myself pooling in my underwear just thinking about all the things he used to say to me using that sexy voice of his.

Hanley places his hand on my thigh, giving me a concerned look and effectively snapping me out of my day dream.

"Our final award tonight is for the cheerleader that has been the most supportive of our team and has inspired the most of us to always do our best, the 'sweetheart of the football team', if you will. This year's recipient is," The smirk on his face as he scans the crowd tells me he's up to something even before the words tumble out of his mouth.

"Skylar Reed."

I don't even stand up. I'm too lost in confusion.

Suddenly the bitch trio stands up, anger obvious in their expressions.

"I object!" Tanya's voice pierces the silence. I sigh. This isn't court, honey. Tanya stomps her foot. "She's not even on the team."

"She was," Cody replies, smiling.

"Yeah, but that filthy bitch was kicked off for assaulting me," she folds her arms, "Do you really want to reward that kind of behavior?"

Cody scoffs at her.

"If that is true, then shouldn't liars like yourself be kicked off the cheerleading team as well?"

Well, that took a turn. Offended, Tanya grabs her purse and storms off with Bentley and Larson in tow.

Cody clears his throat. "Can this year's recipient please come to the stage?"

My legs move on their own accord towards the stage. The tension in the air is so thick I can't see straight and it isn't until Cody's arms are wrapped around me in a hug that I am removed from my daze.

Enveloped in his familiar scent, I feel at home.  But far too soon the moment ends and he faces the crowd once again to readdress the crowd. However, 

"I want to thank Skylar on behalf of the entire varsity football team for your dedication and devotion toward supporting our team. We now present your name's addition to the plaque inside athletic awards room."

Applause ensues, but my mind is too foggy to register anything. Cody's sandalwood scent is at the forefront of my brain, swirling up remembrance of things past. I'm confused, nervous, nostalgic, and most of all, horny. I don't even hear as he thanks everyone for coming and turns it back to the coach to close out the ceremony. We walk down the stage and I head to my seat beside Hanley.

Afterwards, the coach closed everything out and the parents, donors, and coaches left, leaving behind only the players and their dates (basically the whole cheer squad, minus Chelsea, Tanya, and her two friends).

In a rather quick transition, everyone moved inside the mansion, changed into party clothes, the lights inside were dimmed, the DJ who happened to be Bray (apparently he DJs outside of school and football) began spinning his tunes, and the drinks began flowing. I wear a pair of black jeans ripped on the knees with a cream tank top that stops just above my belly button. 

For thirty minutes I sit with Hanley at the kitchen table and a few other football guys as they chat about different things I don't give a shit about. Aka, cars, engines, etc. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Jen and Landon. I tap Hanley on the shoulder and tell him I'm gonna go say hi. He nods and continues talking with the guys.

I'm making my way towards the couple when out of nowhere someone grabs my arm and pulls me into a dark hallway and then closes the door. The hallway is illuminated by the moonlight coming in through the giant windows on the walls.

"What the frick, man?" I snatch my wrist back from my assailant. Then I see his face. 

"I want to talk and I want you to listen."

"Cody, what do you want?" I fold my arms, sighing. He places one finger onto my lips to shush me.

"Shh, I owe you an explanation."

"For?"

"My behavior."

"Okay, I'm listening." I'm not sure where this is going at this point. Is he going to apologize for blowing me off all this time?

"I wanted to believe I could do it." He chuckles to break the tension and I lose my breath. I had forgotten how sexy his smile was from up close. His top lip thins out, revealing his big pearly white teeth with dimples that grace each of his rosy cheeks. 

"Do what?"

"Move on from my precious Skylar. See what life was like without her."

"I see. What's the problem here? We broke up... we both moved on. I don't see anything to apologize about."

"No. I want to apologize for giving up on you." 

"Cody, what on God's green Earth are you going on about?"

"Dating Tanya was a mistake."

"No kidding. She cheated on you."

"I wasn't upset about that. I already knew the whole time. I just didn't know it was with... him." 

"Rolfe, you mean?"

"Yeah. That dude first went and took you away from me and then had the nerve to cheat on you with Tanya. In a normal circumstance, I wouldn't have cared but since it was you that was hurt, my heart ached. I wanted to get revenge on Tanya."

"And so that's why you chose me for the sweetheart tonight. You wanted to get under her skin." 

"No," He whispers in my ear, "My real reason is... a secret." His breath smells of vodka.

"Cody, have you been drinking?"

It's only now that I realize he's been slurring his words. He reaches for a flask from the inside of his coat pocket to show me. He wiggles it around like a little kid showing off a new toy. I'm surprised because he's never been much of a heavy drinker; only when he's stressed or really upset about something. I wonder what has set him off this time...

"Come on, let's go get you some water." I pull on his arm to come with me, but he pulls me back.

"No. I want to tell you something. I didn't choose you tonight because of some scheme against Tanya. I chose you because you are my motivation."

"Cody, I'm not even on the cheerleading team anymore."

"That doesn't matter. Skylar, you might not have been on the team, but even just looking at your fricken' face makes me want to become a better man."

My heart melts. His beautiful eyes connect with mine and neither of us utter another word. Without another second, I pull down his face and bridge the gap between our lips.  

Our tongues move together in perfect harmony. His hands cup my face and his fingers tangle themselves in my hair. I can't help but smile onto his lips as a rush of adrenaline flows through me. Kissing him feels so right even if it is so wrong. I can't help myself. 

The intensity increases as he gently pushes me back into a wall, leaning down to further capture my lips. It's only when my back connects with the wall that I come back to my senses. Quickly, I rip my face away from his, shocked at my audacity and stupidity for kissing him in the first place. 

I back away slowly with confusion in my heart and embarrassment on my face. I just kissed Cody?   

I leave him standing there alone and confused as I make my way back into the party. I turn around and don't look back at him, not wanting the urge to return and kiss his face off to resurface and also I'm embarrassed to admit that my panties are drenched...

A/N

So Cody and Skylar KISSED! What was she thinking? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? ;)

Hehe so sorry about taking three weeks to get a chapter out. This one was a long one and I was out of town for a while and I have a lot of homework always but for some reason for these past few weeks I have been inundated with work. Sorry about that. I should be back to posting regularly soon-ish. Oopsies.

Anyways... the more you guys comment the more motivation I have to write so always keep that in mind.

Question of the Chapter: What do you think will happen in the next chapter?

I WANT TO KNOW!! I obviously already know, but I want to hear your predictions. If you're right, you'll get a shoutout in the next chappie.

ALSO WE'RE NEARLY AT 25,000 READS! LIKE WTF!!! That's so many people. I can't breathe, like wow. I don't understand how we got so many people but I'm so incredibly thankful for everyone's support and so this chapter, the shoutout goes to EVERYONE! (Hah I know that's kinda a cop out but I'm feeling lazy this week.)

Anyways, see ya in the next chappie.

XOXO, Bea

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

402K 11.9K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
143K 4.5K 20
"you are mine, all mine and only mine" he said looking me straight in the eye. "what did I say??" "I said what did I say??" he asked again waiting fo...
Delicacy By roslyn

Teen Fiction

3.8M 96.9K 43
Coming from an abusive household, Meredith Hill makes up her mind to finally escape. She runs till she meets a family friend who decides to take her...
11.2K 1.3K 40
Have you ever encountered mad love? No, not the kind with butterflies in your belly and a sweet thrill, or even the relationship between two loving h...