Free-Falling

By achievement_hunter

A British boy has to change his lifestyle when he moves to America to start a new beginning. At first he thin... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61

47

908 36 4
By achievement_hunter

Gavin POV

And then it rained...

And rained...

And rained...

I never thought I could see one area acquire this much rain.

Days went by, weeks even. And a small flood began to run throughout Austin. No one knew why it rained so much, it just did.

You couldn't explain it, neither could the weather man. But you know what, I was okay with it.

Days have passed since I first had my little talk with Michael, and thanks to the flood, I haven't had to see him for those said,"few days".

It worked out for me and I'm starting to hope he forgets it all before we go back to the office.

Images of the way Michael's eyes glistened as he yelled at me, came into my head.

Flooding my mind.

Kind of like Austin at the moment.

"Please! Can we go!"

I turned my head toward the little voice in the living room that was followed by Geoff's very distinguishable tone.

"It's not safe Millie."

I felt myself smile at the thought of Millie and I crawled out from under the protection of blankets.

5 layers to be exact.

And I walked out of my now dark room in the direction of the living room where the small debate was going on.

"Please!" Millie said whining to Geoff who looked annoyed.

"Ask Gavin." Geoff said pointing at me and Millie followed his hand in my direction.

Her face lit up with joy as she came running over to me.

"Ask Gavin what?" I asked.

"Millie..." Geoff said pausing to let out a slight sigh,"..she wants to go swimming."

I laughed,"It's raining outside and the streets are flooded Millie."

I was now staring down at the little girl who was very intellectual for her age.

"I know..." She mumbled.

"Which is why she wants to go swimming in the road."

I walked over to the blinds and sure enough the streets were flooded over the curb, pretty far into the grass.

At least a couple feet deep.

"It's not safe to do that Millie." I said looking across the room at her.

She sat on the floor pouting and crossing her arms.

"That's what I said." Geoff replied watching me,"It's raining and there is a heavy downpour. Not to mention the currents of the flowing water into the sewer."

I nodded,"Sorry Millie but I'm gonna have to agree with your dad on this one."

She moaned and started dragging herself on the carpet.

"When is this rain ever going to stop!" She said and I smiled.

But to be honest Millie, I hope it never stops. I didn't want to face Michael. I didn't want to even think of Michael.

But my head has other ideas and I'm forced to think of him otherwise.

I sat down across from Geoff while Millie continued to look out the window.

"England even get this much rain?" Geoff asked.

I shook my head no,"Not nearly this much. I mean yeah, it rains but it doesn't flood."

I watched as he started flipping through tv networks only to find static or black and white shows.

"Guess you didn't have this problem either?"

"Nope." I started chuckling,"It's just cause of the storm."

"Yeah I know."

Together the three of us sat in the living room and then Griffon joined the slight family gathering, with the exception of me.

She sat next to Geoff and together we stared at the staticky screen and pretended to enjoy it.

After some time my eyes strayed toward the window next to me and I found myself watching every raindrop fall and land in a puddle.

Time went by and I hadn't noticed Geoff watching me.

"What's wrong Gav?" He asked now putting all eyes on me.

"What?"

I turned to face him and two other sets of eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh nothing." I said even though a lot was wrong at the time.

Everything would be fine if I hadn't been late for my plane.

If I wasn't late I wouldn't have met Michael, but I'm not suggesting I would regret it.

"Something is. I can tell." Geoff replied cutting me out of my thoughts.

"Oh you know... England." I said coming up with an excuse.

"What about England?"

I shrugged,"I don't know I guess I miss it."

"If you'd like you can visit again Gavin, no one is making you stay here."

I looked at Millie who was watching me intently.

"It's not like your forced to stay here. You can go visit and stuff. But if you do I expect some good liquor out of it."

I starting laughing,"Do you ever stop drinking?"

Griffon shook her head and replied for Geoff instead,"He has a problem."

"I do not." Geoff said staring at Griffon.

"Either way I expect some kind of drink."

I put a couch pillow on my lap and sat with my legs pulled in.

"I'll get you a soda." I said smiling.

Geoff glanced at me and then went back to the tv with bad connection.

"But Geoff is right Gavin. If you miss England you can go visit if you'd like. It's not like we are leaving any time soon."

I nodded and looked down at my hands on the pillow.

Visiting Dan wouldn't be too hard, after all I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing me, hence all of his Tweets.

And I wouldn't have to see Michael for a bit. If I do go hopefully everything settles down and Michael would forget the events that took place the other day.

I don't think I would be able to see Michael knowing he was furious with me. It just, it hurts.

Knowing I made him that upset, it hurts. My best friend was mad at me and there's nothing I can do.

I'm not going to tell him why I said the things I did. It would only make things worse.

"If you want to, let us know Gavin." Griffon replied and I nodded.

"I think I will."

"Good." Griffon said, now talking for Geoff who was still watching to bloody tv.

If I could get away for a few I would be happier. I wouldn't have to think about Michael because I would have Dan. And also I would be home for a bit.

No more Austin for a few days. I was starting to grow onto this vacation idea.

Yeah I would miss Austin but I miss England more.

"So when are you going?" Millie asked plopping a seat on the couch next to me.

"Oh I don't know." I said looking down at her.

She hugged my side while Geoff and Griffon watched.

"I'm offended by how much my daughter likes you and not her own father." Geoff said.

"Well you know I'm Gavin."

"If you go. Promise you will come back." Millie asked.

I put my arm around her and rubbed her shoulder. I hadn't thought of leaving until Geoff mentioned it.

I hadn't even thought if leaving without coming back either,"I promise Millie."

Griffon smiled as she walked away after saying she would be right back.

I sat with Millie while Geoff was watching, clearly jealous.

He sighed,"You do know I'm your father." He finally said toward Millie.

She nodded and sat quietly.

"Then why don't you hug me?"

"Because I hug you all the time and Gavin is leaving soon."

I laughed,"I won't be gone forever Millie."

"But who's gonna play with me?" She asked.

I shrugged and Geoff said he would get Michael to do it while I'm gone.

And then I snapped back into my thoughts about Michael.

He won't miss me as nearly as much as Millie would. He's probably locking lips with Lindsey while it pours outside.

I looked down at the pillow still on my lap while Geoff and Millie went back and forth talking.

I can't afford to lose my best friend let alone Michael. I can't believe I was so stupid to think Michael would feel the same.

I sighed silently to myself until Griffon walked back into the room with a lap top in her hands.

She sat down next to Geoff and Millie and I moved over to be closer to them both.

"Whatcha doing?" I said taking a seat next to Griffon with Millie still by my side.

"Looking up international flights."

"Pick the closest one to today's date so I can get as much Gavin free time as possible." Geoff said and I started snickering.

"Barbara would be proud of that." I said and he looked puzzled.

"You said Gavin free time. My name is Free. So- you know what never mind." I said shaking off Geoff's stare.

Millie held onto my arm and everyone leaned closer toward the lap top.

"My bubble has been penetrated." Griffon said.

"I blame Gavin."

"Millie did it."

"What!" She said standing on the couch,"I didn't do it I swear!"

Geoff, griffon and I started laughing because Millie hadn't understood what was said.

"It's okay." I said.

Millie plopped back down at my side while Griffon scrolled through the flights to England looking for the times and dates.

Clicking here and there she finally brought up a page with plenty of flights listed.

"When do you want to go?" She asked.

"He says tomorrow Griffon. Tomorrow. As in tomorrow." Geoff replied for me and I smiled.

"Love you too big guy."

"Honestly I don't know when he would be able to go. If the storms continue he may not leave for a while."

"Well you never know." Geoff said staring at me,"I can force him on a plane."

"And who would be the pilot?" I asked.

"Me!" Millie shouted raising her hands in the air.

Griffon took the remote from Geoff and quickly put on the news for a weather forecast.

"Hey, hey! I was watching that." Geoff proclaimed.

"We're dealing with a major travel crisis right now."

Once she changed it to the news she immediately turned it back for Geoff and began scrolling through the dates.

"There." She said,"Your booked."

"That was fast. I thought it was going to rain all week." I said looking at the screen.

"Weathermen are stupid they can't predict anything. If they didn't know it would flood they sure won't know when it would end."

"So you picked a random flight?"

"No," she said pointing at the computer,"the rain is supposed to continue but there's a front coming in that will push it out. Trust me."

"Trust her." Geoff said nodding without taking his eyes off the tv.

"Well, okay. Then it's settled." I said.

"So your leaving soon?" Millie asked and I nodded slowly.

"How soon?"

"Well." I said looking at the screen,"Tomorrow..." I said silently.

"I leave tomorrow?" I asked and Griffon nodded.

"Wow." Geoff said smiling,"I never thought anyone could get rid of Gavin that quickly."

I coughed and cleared my throat to show I was still here and Geoff laughed to himself.

Griffon left the room again, I assume to print out my boarding pass and stuff while Millie started rambling.

"If you leave tomorrow we have a lot to do mr. We have lots and lots to do!"

She grabbed my hand and pulled me off the couch away from the living room.

"Go easy on him Millie!" Geoff called back, his voice getting smaller the farther we walked,"We need him until tomorrow!"

She pulled me and I guess I was just going along for the ride.

I was going home, I was going to see Dan.

I felt myself grin ear to ear while Millie continued talking. Eventually I zoned out and I was stuck thinking about England.

No Austin, and no Michael. If Michael didn't care, then I shouldn't have to care either.

I'm leaving. I smiled even more at my thoughts.

Dan, I'm coming home.

--------------------------------

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, I've been busy getting things prepared for school next week and ecsc (for those who don't know, east coast surfing championship) was going on so I've been out a lot. Again sorry. I plan to spend the next few days updating often. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 112 5
Michael Jones decides to get out of the house for a change by going to an overnight horror camp, where he meets four potential new friends. Geoff, Ry...
1.7K 55 9
~Completed~ Gavin meets a guy at the library where he works and soon falls for him, but he doesn't want his brother and sister, who he has been raisi...
127K 2.9K 23
Michael never thought he would actually miss Gavin, but the Rooster Teeth office seemed so much quieter without his British best friend. Will his lon...
14.3K 455 26
Another reader insert Ryan Haywood fanfic.