Free-Falling

By achievement_hunter

A British boy has to change his lifestyle when he moves to America to start a new beginning. At first he thin... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61

46

850 39 8
By achievement_hunter

Gavin POV

Later that night after work I decided to call Michael and confess everything that has been going on. It's best if he finds out from me instead of the fans who watched the video.

After shutting my bedroom door I took out my phone and sat on the bed in front of me.

I pulled up his contact and took a deep breath.

"Do you want to do this?" I asked myself quietly.

Sighing I nodded and tapped the call button.

I waited, and waited and waited. Ring after ring until I got his voicemail.

"Hey it's me Michael. I can't get to the phone right now. I'm probably with Lindsey. I'll catch ya later."

And then I got the beep. I didn't say anything, instead I just ended the call and sat there staring at my phone.

He changed his voicemail and I actually am being replaced.

I tapped on the cloth beneath me making awkward sounds that made absolutely no sense.

Finally, I got up and walked out of the room in the direction of Geoff.

I ended up in the living room in front of Geoff who was passed out on the couch.

"Hello Geoff." I said laughing silently.

Sure enough it was late, 11:47 to be exact.

But that didn't matter to me. I haven't been sleeping well in Austin anyway. So I had no problem being up late.

As quick as I said hello, I said goodbye.

Walking toward the door I silently grabbed Geoff's car keys and didn't bother to look back at him.

"I'll be back Geoff." I said walking out the door.

I hopped into Geoff's car which I was Farley familiar with since the last time I was in it.

And I was also going to the same place where I first drove it to. Michael.

If he wasn't going to answer the phone and he wouldn't come to me. I will go to him.

I'm not sure how I plan on saying I like my best friend but I knew it had to be done some how. And I wasn't going to wait any longer.

I already knew where Michael's apartment complex was and I actually already knew which apartment it was.

Barbara claimed she had been there before and she didn't give me a number but she gave me directions.

It's almost as if she knew I would do this and she was prepared for it.

Aside from Barbara, I started thinking of how I would talk to Michael.

Should I just go out and say it when he answers the door? What if he doesn't answer the door at all?

What if he's mad for some reason?

I looked at the clock and it was almost midnight so he probably was asleep.

Yeah he's going to be mad but I had to spill out all the information I had.

Even if it doesn't solve anything I still needed to know how he felt.

Green light after green light I pulled into the apartment complex and parked in the front so I wouldn't have to walk far.

A man doesn't need to exercise at midnight, at least I don't.

I checked to make sure I had my phone and the keys before shutting the door and walking into the apartments.

They all looked the same, apartment after apartment and here I was walking alone in the dark at midnight.

I put my hands in the green hoodie that I originally got from Michael and, get this, started to smile.

Maybe I wasn't going to know how Michael felt, and maybe I wasn't going to get a good answer. But I could get a giant weight off my chest.

I would finally be relieved from all of this and I wouldn't have to hide from Michael anymore.

Using the directions Barbara gave me, I found myself standing in front of a tan colored door with the numbers 273 on it.

I sighed and stared at it for a few moments debating on if I should do this or not.

"It's okay Gav." I said.

And then I knocked on the door.

Once, twice, and then a third time.

I started tapping my foot and I began to feel like I was going to be sick. Of course I was nervous.

I was about to tell my best friend I loved him.

There were the sounds of thumping and then footsteps to the door and then a pause.

I assumed it was Michael looking through the small hole in the door and then it opened.

"Uh, hi." I said feeling a smile form on my face.

"Gavin?" He said rubbing his eyes.

The lights were off behind him and I could tell he had been sleeping.

He wasn't wearing glasses and his hair was going every which way.

He was wearing the blue pajama pants I first saw him wear on the flight to Austin.

"Yeah.. It's me." I mumbled and he leaned on the door.

"What's up?" He asked, his voice cracking.

"Actually I needed to talk to you."

He nodded and opened the door more for me to step him and I did.

He shut the door and turned on a few lights to reveal a small but neat apartment.

"I was asleep if you can't tell." He said chuckling slightly.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I just really needed to get a few things out of my head."

He sat down on the leather couch near the door and I followed, sitting across from him.

Immediately he stood up.

"It may be late but would you care for a drink?"

I shook my head and made a few hand gestures to Michael.

"Actually I don't intend to stay long, you need your sleep."

"Sleep is for babies." He said sitting back down.

Then why were you sleeping. I said to myself in my head.

He started tapping his foot and I looked down at my hands.

Lindsey wasn't near Michael, which explains why he was so happy with me. But if Lindsey were here, he wouldn't even have made any jokes at all.

"So what'd you need Gav?" He said.

I leaned forward still looking at my hands.

"Well.. It's just. I think. Well. I mean. For a while now."

"Gavin." He laughed even though it was late,"Spit it out bud."

"Well..." I mumbled.

I didn't want to just say I liked him as more than a coworker or a friend so I resorted to plan G.

"For a while now... I've seen the way you look at Lindsey."

"Well yeah, we're dating and I love her."

I cringed when he said the word love and I closed my eyes.

"I've seen the way she looks at you Michael. It doesn't look like she's.....inter...ested..."

He shook his head and shu-ed at me.

"That bs. She loves me dude. And I love her."

But really I was being truthful. He pays attention and she doesn't and I don't know why he doesn't see it.

She's just going along so he will leave her alone.

"Michael.. It's just- I think. I think she doesn't feel the same Michael."

That's when he stood up.

"Gavin what are you talking about. If she didn't like me she wouldn't have said yes to me."

"Michael. I. She's just- I've seen it okay."

I couldn't find words to fill the air I was pushing out and everything I seemed to say was just posh.

"I think she's just there. So you would leave her be."

"No Gavin that's stupid." He said his voice raising.

He pointed at me with other hand in the air.

"Are you saying you want me to break up with her after a day?" He said, his voice filling every inch of his apartment.

I didn't bother to make eye contact with him, instead I looked at the ground and started to slowly nod.

"Yes." I said.

And then I caught myself before I went on any more. I just told my best friend to forget someone he cared about.

I felt a piece inside of me shatter and Michael then towered over me.

"Forget it Gavin. I love Lindsey and she loves me. Some friend you are."

"Michael I think it would be best for you if you-"

"No Gavin! I love her can't you see!"

I started shaking and could feel my eyes start to burn.

Michael was now mad and angry and I was the person who made him this way.

And he...was yelling at me.

"Michael I just thought-"

"GAVIN!"

He was now practically screaming at me and I stood up to leave his apartment.

"Oka- I'll just- I'll go." I said turning toward the door.

I was now muttering words while Michael's voice towered above mine.

"YEAH. GOOD IDEA. GET OUT OF MY APARTMENT."

Then my breathing increased and I found myself huffing in extra air in order to stay calm.

I opened the door and walked out but I turned back to look at Michael who was now pointing at me.

"Get. Out." He said grinding his teeth.

"Okay." I whispered even though he couldn't hear me.

I shut the door and then my heart started racing as I walked away from the apartment.

To make matters worse, it was now raining.

I pulled the green hood over my head and tucked my hands in my pockets as I headed toward the stairs.

I held onto the side as I walked very fast down the stairs.

I looked down at the ground which was a bad idea because as soon as I stepped onto ground level I ran into a pole.

"AH!"

Reaching up and holding my forehead, I continued to walk to the parking lot.

Raindrop after raindrop, I felt my clothes become soaked.

I can't believe I told my best friend to leave the person he loves because I wanted him for myself.

"Your. So selfish." I said not bothering to whisper.

It didn't matter if anyone heard me, it was late they should be asleep.

"You are so stupid for thinking he could love you. Let alone anyone could love you."

The tears were now streaming down my face and I took my hand away from my forehead to show shades of red tinted into the green cloth.

I huffed, and sighed and just continued to walk to the car.

Alone, in the dark.

With no one but me. My thoughts.

And my thoughts were what was going to hurt me the most.

I closed my eyes, letting the events sink in.

I can't believe I was so selfish.

I'm just stupid...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 278 53
[COMPLETED] After Michael wakes up from a coma and a long hospital stay, he has trouble picking up what's real and what he dreamed about. He's helpe...
46.4K 1.2K 36
When Gavin's plane crashes, what will Michael do to make sure his best friend made it out alive?
7.8K 383 16
Gavin is finally on his way back from a long stay in England, when his plane crashes. The rest of the guys set out to find him, but will they be in t...
169K 2.7K 62
Jane Downing's past few years at home have been terrible. All she wants is a fresh start somewhere new. When her dad gets her a job at a company call...