Terminus Part I: The Journey...

By roogymirror

Detective James Baron became an outlaw after asking the wrong questions. After four years of running on land... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Detective / Pirate
Chapter 2: A Claim to Fame
Chapter 3: The Journey Begins
Chapter 4: Something That Matters
Chapter 5: Burundi, the Fish Market
Chapter 6: The Rough-House Pirates
Chapter 7: The No-Talent Chef
Chapter 8: Rival Gangs
Chapter 9: Motorcycle Mystery
Chapter 10: Deductive Unreasoning
Chapter 11: Criminal Action
Chapter 12: Barracuda
Chapter 13: To Jail or Not To Jail
Chapter 14: Aftermath of the Mistrial
Chapter 15: Piscology
Chapter 16: Persimmon's Decision
Chapter 17: The Phobos Sea
Chapter 18: Angler
Chapter 19: Prisoner
Chapter 20: Run, Cameron, Run
Chapter 21: Sabotage By Half
Chapter 22: The Promised Planet
Chapter 23: Guarded Treasure
Chapter 24: Invasion
Chapter 25: The Million
Chapter 26: Brothers
Chapter 27: 500
Chapter 28: The Phobos Sea Reprise
Chapter 29: Journey to the Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 30: Fort Barronym
Chapter 31: Rebels
Chapter 32: Second Chance
Chapter 33: Runaways
Chapter 34: The House in Satchanville
Chapter 35: Seven Noblemen
Chapter 36: Dinosaurs
Chapter 37: The Unexpected
Chapter 38: Recovery
Chapter 39: Forebaggage
Chapter 40: Halberd the Hero
Chapter 41: The Balance of Power
Chapter 42: The Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 43: The Guiding Fog and Septagon Island
Chapter 44: Andy the Celestial Turtle
Chapter 45: The Satchanville Copperheads
Chapter 46: Innovation Bay
Chapter 47: The Emerald City
Chapter 48: Mind Over Matter
Chapter 49: Left Unsolved
Chapter 50: Martin Magick
Chapter 52: The Hephaestus Sea Reprise
Chapter 53: The Great Green Gamut
Chapter 54: A Whistler, A Lyrebird, and A Siren
Chapter 55: Fighting With Words
Chapter 56: Grudge the Gorilla
Chapter 57: The Sound of Fear and Doubt
Chapter 58: Wins and Losses
Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea
Chapter 60: Isaac Malevolo
Chapter 61: Snyke's Penitentiary
Chapter 62: The Unusual Suspects
Chapter 63: Salvador
Chapter 64: The Gatekeeper, Zephyr
Chapter 65: Reunions
Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity
Chapter 67: Virtual Capacity
Chapter 68: Conduit Training
Chapter 69: Back Then
Chapter 70: Terminus Est Initium
Chapter 71: History Made
Chapter 72: Preparations
Chapter 73: The Atlas Sea Reprise
Chapter 74: New Leadership
Chapter 75: The End of An Era

Chapter 51: Departure

2 0 0
By roogymirror

 Dorothy Gale arranged a banquet in James' honour, as thanks for defeating Martin Magick. This would also serve as a farewell to the various Godspawn that were about to leave Limbo. Bluebeard had stated that he felt it would soon be time for such a thing to happen. The Earth-7 counterparts were also present, having come to terms with their alternate lives.

In the Great Emerald Hall, Dorothy, James, and Bluebeard sat near the front of the table, where they would be able to talk freely with one another about their plans moving forward.

"So, you plan on returning to the real world with Bluebeard and every other Godspawn you have found?" asked Dorothy.

"That sounds about right," said James.

"You do know that there are countless other Godspawn trapped in Limbo, right? Why only these people?"

"I can answer that," said Bluebeard. "As I've said before, there's a certain way that things have to be, and I can feel it. We're not meant to be saving everyone, just the ones we come across until it's time to move on."

"Interesting. And do you feel the same way, James?"

"While I would like to save everyone, I need to keep moving forward. I can't spend my entire life in Limbo, not when the Terminus awaits me."

"Ah, you are going to the Terminus? I admire your bravery. If someone like you can go there without fear, then I suppose I owe it to myself to go there as well," said Bluebeard.

"Someone like me?"

"Well, to be honest, you strike me as a hopeless optimist, and someone who doesn't know their limits."

"You're starting to sound a lot like Martin Magick."

"Heh, maybe I am. But here's the thing about the seven seas, only the strong can expect to thrive. People like you will survive, sure, but you won't rule the seas."

"I don't want to rule the seas. I want to explore them."

"Well then, just be on your toes. A lot of people out there want to stop people like you. That's the time when your strength truly matters."

"This is a lovely conversation, but can we get back to discussing your travel arrangements?" asked Dorothy.

Bluebeard obliged and began to inform James of how it is possible to leave Limbo. He predicted that tonight, there would be a window of opportunity, and it would be vitally important that they seize it when it arises.

The night continued on and everyone enjoyed themselves. The Godspawn returned to their hotel to pack their things and get ready to leave. Dorothy and her Ministry began to discuss potential future actions.

"So, you are sure that you three cannot leave here without losing the identities I created for you?" asked Dorothy.

"No, Empress. But you could still leave without it affecting us. And I have a feeling that the real world might need a mind like yours," said Sinclair.

"More than Limbo? Than the Emerald City? But here I provide a deterrent against people like Martin."

"But it may be your mind that attracts people like Martin," said Cowherd. "If I may be so bold, I think that you are afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone."

"Have a heart, Cowherd!" said Nicholas. "The Empress should only do what she feels is right!"

Dorothy listened to them argue, but was unsure what to think. Could she really leave this world behind? After how much she had influenced it? After how much it had influenced her? As if to answer her questions, a familiar face appeared before her.

"Hello Dorothy, are you there?" asked a man.

"I'm here, Thomas! Are you reaching through the veil again? You know how dangerous that is, right?"

"I had to contact you, because last time you seemed unsure. But I'm telling you Dorothy, the Club could use your help. It could use any help it can get."

"Well fine, I'll return to the real world. But my friends stay here. This dimension gives them lives they can be proud of. They don't want to be sociopathic, ignorant, or paranoid. Don't force them to, just to satisfy some recruitment drive."

"Look, I understand, just... get here as soon as you can."

In the real world, Thomas Dreamer of the Gentleman's Club closed the gap between reality and Limbo so that he could focus on another call. He delved into his own mind and into the psychic realm where Gaia resided.

"It is fortunate that I welcome being a moderator for any and all conversation," said Gaia. "Now, I know you seek counsel from Indigo. She has been expecting you."

Indigo's form manifested in front of Thomas. He was glad to see her. He informed her that he had convinced Dorothy Gale to return to the real world.

"Good. Then everything is going as planned. The Gentleman's Club needs a new generation of capable members, and with your assistance, I can ensure that they have that."

"Aren't Indigo International rivals of the Gentleman's Club?" asked Thomas.

"We are not rivals of anyone. Our only agenda is the survival of the universe. Sometimes that works against organisations and sometimes it works with them."

The Detective Pirates and everyone else had finished packing and were now preparing to leave the Emerald City. At the gate, they were greeted by Dorothy Gale.

"A useful note about your belongings: if you did not bring them with you, you can't take them back with you. Make sure you are wearing the clothes you entered with, and only packing anything that came through to Limbo with you," she explained.

"Oh, and furthermore, I will be joining you on the return voyage. It's a long story, but I feel it is time for me to return to the real world as well."

"Well I could have told you that," said Bluebeard. "But it really seemed like you didn't want to hear it."

"Be that as it may, my mind is clear on this. Oh, and you can change clothes with a thought, so if you need to do so, do not undress."

"And here I was hoping for an excuse to be naked," said Patricia.

"Forgive her, she's something of a nudist," said Karnilla.

"No, the mindset may be unconventional, but it should not be a crime to be as our common ancestors were," said Dorothy.

"Finally, someone who gets it," said Patricia.

"Well, I wouldn't personally do it, though," said Dorothy. "But if a naked man walked in front of me, I wouldn't complain."

"If you're done chatting, we have about thirty-seven minutes to reach the window and leave this place," said Bluebeard.

And so it was the time when the entire group of people would return to the real world through a small crack in Limbo's reality. The Detective Pirates, The Bluebeard Pirates, The Cleft Island Koalas, The Satchanville Copperheads, Jacket Connors, and Dorothy Gale arrived on Septagon Island without much fanfare or issue. The Ministry of the Emerald City became its Council, all three members retaining equal leadership. The different groups would now go their separate ways.

Dorothy had a boat waiting for her, a scouting ship from the Gentleman's Club, something which surprised the crew of the Detective Pirates. The Bluebeard Pirates had their ship concealed in a time bubble, that could only be entered if the captain willed it. The Satchanville Copperheads and Cleft-Island Koalas caught a ride with Dorothy Gale, and were promised to be discreetly dropped off at Cleft Island. That left only Jacket and the Detective Pirates without travel.

The SS Psychic had been cut in half. The Detective Pirates had difficulty processing what they were seeing.

"Who could do something like this?" asked Patricia.

"There are likely more than we suspect," said James. "But in my experience, there's only one person I know that could make such a precise cut. They call him the 'Slicer'."

"An Admiral did this?" asked Milangelo. "Well, I guess that means we're on the government's radar now - more than we already were, anyway."

"If you guys need a ship, I can use this ship's materials to build a new one," said Jacket.

"And how long would that take you?" asked Cameron.

"About a month."

"And how do we survive for an entire month?" asked Joneas.

"I have a solution," said Bluebeard.

Bluebeard offered to protect them in a time bubble, meaning that real-world time would not affect them, they would not need to eat or sleep, and they could be free from prying eyes. The catch would be that they would owe Bluebeard a favour.

James reluctantly agreed to Bluebeard's offer with the knowledge that one month could be ample time for Admiral Slicer to return and quite possibly put an end to their journey. If there was one person James knew was not ready to face, it was his father.

Jacket built the new ship over the course of a month, while the crew trained with the added bonus of not needing to eat, though they still slept out of habit. The new ship was dubbed "The Psychic's Revenge" in honour of the ship it was built out of, and Jacket offered to come aboard as its primary caretaker.

James welcomed the shipwright with open arms, and they all celebrated that night, on the twenty-ninth of May, as the time bubble was lifted and they were sent on their way with rations to last through the months.

"You'll need those! It isn't particularly easy to find food on the Atlas Sea," said Bluebeard as his ship started to drift apart from the Psychic's Revenge. "And by the way, I love that new ship's name! Reminds me of Redbeard's ship."

"Redbeard? Bluebeard? Who else is there?" asked Patricia.

"Well, there's also Yellowbeard," said Bluebeard.

In the North Sea, a merchant ship was being raided by a group of pirates. The captain had a bright yellow beard and he laughed as he put his hands on the metal railing and melted it.

"Who the hell are you?" said the ship's captain.

"My name is Yellowbeard. I'm only doing this to you because you haven't told me what I want to know. You helped him, didn't you? You know where Bluebeard went!"

In the Phobos Sea, on the island town of Burundi, a new balance had been found. No-one expected things to turn out this way, but with the majority of the old gangs being inactive, the power vacuum led to a new trio of gangs taking their place.

The first of these was the only one to resemble the old gangs, and that was the New Martyrs, a group led by Jeof, but smaller and less inclined to follow the old rules of the group.

The second was an unexpected surprise, as a new fisherman in town, Hambone, hired Joel Sardine's former bodyguards and formed the Fisherman's Union. He would protect the fishermen from the other gangs, and the only gang-like thing they did was defend themselves.

The third gang to arise was The Chills Gang, a threat from the Phobos Sea that stayed away while Barracuda was occupying Burundi, but moved in during the power vacuum. The leader, Hypothermia, tried and failed to assassinate Gumboot, and her actions are what led to the creation of the Fisherman's Union.

A meeting between Hypothermia, Jeof, and Hambone was taking place on the twenty-ninth of May, in a warehouse.

"So let me get this straight, you thought Barracuda was a threat to your power?" asked Jeof.

"I knew he was. He may have given you a false sense of security by not outright killing you. He could have done it at any moment. But I suspect he had a plan more complex than even he was letting on. He's a schemer through and through," said Hypothermia. "He almost bonded with the Chill parasite, back in the day. I beat him to it, though, and he's wanted my head ever since then."

"And why did you try to kill Gumboot?" asked Hambone.

"The fishermen are pests on the Phobos. That's just how I feel, so if that offends you, there's nothing I can do."

"It takes a lot more than petty insults to offend me. There's a reason they call me Hambone."

"I would very much like to hear this reason. My enforcer, Johnny Twoscoops, would also like to know."

"I, too, have enforcers. Isaac and Jonah. They will protect all of my fishermen friends, including Gumboot."

"And meanwhile, Jeof here only has four members in his gang in total," said Hypothermia.

"Hey, Dan, Willis, and Mortadella are loyal. Also, we're in the process of recruiting. And I'm aware some of our members have left. The New Martyrs pride ourselves on freedom of choice. No one has to do anything they don't want to."

As this meeting continued, Joel Sardine was at the shore, boarding one of the Gentleman's Club scouting ships. With him was Lonny Bridge, who had heard of Joel's exploits and felt him a perfect fit for the Club.

"It's an honour to have this opportunity, sir," said Joel.

"I'm glad you feel that way, but we can't be wasting time on trivialities. We need to get to a secure location as soon as possible. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand, and I appreciate the formality."

With that, Joel boarded the ship and left Burundi, headed for a remote island that concealed one of the Club's many secret entrances.

A few weeks passed and the resumed journey of the Detective Pirates was confirmed. On the twenty-third of June, new bounties were issued for the crew.

James Baron: Three-hundred and fifty million onits.

Milangelo Douglas: Two-hundred million.

Cameron Miles: Seventy million.

Patricia Neofoly and Karnilla Adams: Eighty million each.

Crock Turnbull: One-hundred million.

Persimmon: Sixty million.

Brandon Black: One-hundred and twenty million.

Joneas Demafred: One-hundred and fifty million.

Jacket Connors: Forty million.

Total crew bounty: One billion, two-hundred and fifty million.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.9K 4.6K 61
There is nothing worse for a pirate than dying on dry land. Except, maybe, swinging two feet above it. When their captain is imprisoned, facing the...
2.5K 458 20
Life is a roller-coaster of emotions. Discovering the upcoming continental war between humans and creatures thought to be mythical is a BIG-BONE hind...
23 1 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
1.9K 114 12
-- prequel to Witch Hunt -- *set five or six years prior to Witch Hunt* At age 13, James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes witnessed his mother being executed...