LOGAN (Book One)

Par authormsdevera

Aphrodite Reid, having a name after a Greek Goddess of beauty and love, doesn't exactly make her one of the "... Plus

Author's Note
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
EPILOGUE
Book Cover for "LIAM"
Notes to My Readers

TWENTY

3.7K 180 7
Par authormsdevera

I was a target from Paris pranks yesterday. It wasn't dirty water this time but nasty words on my desk with permanent black ink that said "SLUT" or "BITCH" or someone spelled "whore" wrong. It was written as "HORE." I don't even think about who wrote their elementary school spelling on my desk. This wasn't the first time Paris and her friends had destroyed my desk. It's probably their fiftieth time ruining the desk, and I would have to go to the school storage room to get myself a new one.

Then today, my gym locker was unlocked like someone used a cutting tool to break the lock and stole my P.E. uniform. It didn't take long when I spotted my clothes in the trash; I came prepared when I went to the cashier's office and got a new lock and a new P.E. uniform that had already been paid for when something like this happened.

I sighed.

I do not have my week.

Paris has been secretly harassing me, and I will ignore her pitiful and stupid games like I always do. All her pranks were overrated, and I gave up.

When are her childish games going to be over?

Paris is a parasite, always buzzing around looking for her target, and when I'm the most vulnerable, she will piss me off for her amusement. She never gets tired. She feeds off me like an aphid on new spring growth, leaving me energized and buzzing as I feel drained and tense. It always happens whenever she is around me. Paris is a bully, only to me. I was tired of her games, and I'm tired of them now. I'm not sure when she is going to quit.

Maybe when I die a virgin.

After school, I went to the nearest library and decided to stay there for the whole day before going home. At school, it was awkward because every time I would step into the hallways, he was standing there like a God, and with that bitch, Paris permitted her to flirt with him, and he didn't seem to be bothered.

As for me, I saw red, but I never took a step toward them because the rumors about that day would make people think of me differently than I already am.

After school, I went straight to the public library. I had my earphones on while I stared at the blank page for that one tricky question Jordan had the class to answer, and so far, I have not written anything. I took this opportunity to think of something but with the trials with Logan coming into my life, I've been distracted.

So much, I'm becoming brain-damaged just staring at the question. I think I've been diagnosed with dyslexia.

I groaned in frustration that I hit my head on the table as if the world was against me.

"Excuse me?"

I looked up with a weary look and saw a senior man with an accent. British?

"May I sit here?"

He didn't have to say it as a question. He could sit since I'm the only one at a large table with my papers and books.

"There is no space for me to sit," he chuckled softly.

When I looked around, there were open seats. Why does he want to sit here? I didn't want to be rude and tell him to bug off, so I allowed him. "Go ahead and sit."

The old man grabbed the sit in front of me and pulled out a Crossword booklet and a pen. While he was at it, he put on his reading glasses.

His eyes are on the booklet as I lift mine. He looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't put a finger at it until it hit me once I remembered at the bus stop. The same man also asked to sit beside me, making me uncomfortable. And this was the same man before.

Shit!

Now that he's here, I couldn't be any ruder than before and go up and leave. So, without a sudden movement, I began to pack up my things one by one slowly.

"What Greek god name has four letters?"

I looked at the man making weird grunts as if he was pretending not to know the answer. There are probably some Greek gods with names that contain four letters. I don't understand why he's asking himself, but I'm unsure about answering.

"This one is tough to crack," he chuckles. "I guess at my age, and the brain is starting to lose its mind."

I should go.

"Do you know the answer, young lady?"

I halted halfway, holding my pencil case, the last item to pack, but he started to talk to me. Although I have not seen him for a while, faces are my specialty in mesmerizing people, unlike my brother. I could never forget a look, especially with a weird old man like him. Out of all the tables, he just had to sit with me.

But another thing about me was not only could I remember faces, but I could tell just by one look I could understand if the person was a danger or not, and right now I don't sense anything about this man. Yes, I was scared, but that's because he was following me, which led me to hide at Wolfe's auto shop.

This man is smiling at me and waiting for me to answer. And I had my bag ready to leave. I couldn't move my feet. I decided to sit back down and put all my stuff on the table. I work some more on my homework and study. I looked at my phone and saw it was too early to meet Lily. She can wait.

"Sorry, Mister," I sat in my seat. "My parents taught me not to speak with strangers."

"Well, your parents taught you, right? I supposed they train you to be cautious with someone like me."

Huh?

I looked at him; his hands were firm on a cane, and his eyes closed shut.

"Who are you?" That was the question I asked.

"Someone who regrets the things I had done." Then he looked at me with a soft yet sad smile trying to be strong. "Always cherish every day with your family; magical things in your happen would bring great fortune."

I furrow my brows.

I didn't get what this man was saying, but I feel he lost someone he loves and now has the emotion of regret. He probably did something to make it happen. Me, I lost both my parents, and I understand the pain. Maybe this old man isn't all weird he just lonely.

"Ares, that is a four-letter name of a Greek god." I could have said Zeus, but I instead said my brother's name because, without him and Athena, I would be lonely like this man.

"Thank you, dear."

I let out a wry smile and left the old man staring down at the booklet as he smiled.

I wasn't sure what's the deal with the man. Maybe he's a lonely and depressing old man who just needed to talk to someone. Usually, people don't interact with the elderly because they don't want to be bothered, but I guess they are just alone.

I stayed in the library studying and doing homework for another hour while the old man sat there glued to his crossword book. He has not asked me anything else and thought to leave me be while I finish my assignments. When my head started to feel heavy, I massaged my throbbing temples as I glanced at other flashcards with history terms to study. The words suddenly seemed to blur together. I blinked rapidly and pressed my forehead onto the car as if that could imprint it in my memory. Luckily, I have an excellent photographic memory, so it's more natural for me, but my head is hurting right now, and I need a break. I put the card down and slumped in my chair, letting out an exhausting groan as I stretched my arms over my head. I leaned back against my chair and glanced at the ceiling before forcing my gaze back to the table. I stifled a yawn and rubbed my tired eyes. My thoughts became tired and incoherent.

"You will hurt yourself if you don't let your eyes rest," the old man said, not looking up from his booklet.

I let another yawn escape. "It's okay; I need to finish up and leave."

"You know who you remind me of," I looked up at him. "My wife."

"How?" I asked curiously.

"Like you, she would do work and never stop until everything is done. If she has not finished, then she will procrastinate."

"Me too!" I exclaimed and realized we were inside a library. I heard a 'shh' from the librarian, and I sent her an apologetic look. "I'm like that as well. If I didn't finish what I started, I would be lazy."

The old man chuckled. "It seems you and my wife are somewhat similar in personalities."

"I bet she and I would just get along."

"I bet she would," he flashed a smile, and I got a tingly unknown what he meant.

What does he mean by that?

I got a buzz from my phone and saw the text from Lily asking what time I was going to be there. I replied to her and started to pack my stuff again.

"Leaving?"

I rose off my chair. "Yeah, I have other engagements to attend."

"Well, I enjoy the company with this old man like myself. Most people would avoid sitting next to someone close to death," he laughed at his joke and extended his hand to me. "It was nice meeting you, Miss...?"

"Aphrodite, but you can call me Effie," I said, holding my bag and using my free hand to shake his.

"Nice to meet you, Effie. My name is Odin King."

"Likewise," another buzz. "Man, this girl can't be patient. I'll see you later, Mr. King."

It was so casually that I would see him again, and it felt nice.

"Same goes for you."

Leaving the library, I heard yet another buzzing noise coming from the back pocket of my jeans. I dig for my phone and answer. "I'm on the way there, Lily."

I took a Lyft as the driver drove me to the mall to meet with Lily. Along the way, I thought of what the old man said to me about regret. It got me thinking of what he did to have him regret it. The way he said it was sad and lost. I can relate because I begged my parents to get me an iPad, and after their death, I always regretted asking for something I should not.

I lay my head on the door and watched the street go by.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

315K 11.6K 45
"We said whoever eats the most pizza has to do the dare no matter how cruel or easy it is." This is just a glimpse of our sleepovers. Ivy and Autumn...
69.9K 1.6K 43
Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love and Beauty is forced into an unwanted marriage the very evening she emerges from the sea. While Hephaestus is not terr...
2.3M 41.1K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
113K 3.3K 49
[Featured on @YARomance, @NA, @Teenfiction, @Contemporarylit] "I feel him lean closer towards me and softly whispers into my ear, 'I just want the be...