Running with the Wolves

By skaikruwerewolf

Veronica Stilinski lives with her older brother Stiles and her Dad, the Sheriff, in Beacon Hills. She is star... More

chapter 1: this is how it all began...
chapter 2: the boy with the blue eyes
chapter 3: standing on his own two feet
chapter 4: lockers
chapter 5: movies and a burger
chapter 6: the dynamic duo
chapter 7: we have a situation
chapter 8: alpha beta omega
chapter 9: you don't have to worry
chapter 10: mission accomplished
chapter 11: it's all about power
chapter 12: the waves and the starry sky
chapter 13: you did that all on your own
chapter 14: kicking and screaming
stiles stilinski // part 1
chapter 15: the woods
chapter 16: the shadow
chapter 17: part of the pack
chapter 18: the warning of a banshee
chapter 19: the loft
liam dunbar // part 1
chapter 20: all night
chapter 21: broken
liam dunbar // part 2
chapter 22: trapped
veronica & stiles stilinski // part 1
chapter 23: unable to move
chapter 24: promise
chapter 25: screams
stiles stilinski //part 2
chapter 26: admit it
chapter 28: it's not your fault
chapter 29: lab partners
chapter 30: exhale
liam dunbar// part 3
chapter 31: a name to a face
chapter 32: strength in numbers
chapter 33: unconscious
chapter 34: targeted
chapter 35: the plan
chapter 36: we'll figure it out
chapter 37: this is why
chapter 38: driving lessons
chapter 39: painful lessons
chapter 40: because you trust everyone
chapter 41: half light
l. dunbar & v. stilinski // part 1
chapter 42: dance
chapter 43: betrayal
chapter 44: healing wounds
chapter 45: nothing is ever going to change that
chapter 46: tunnels
chapter 47: favors
chapter 48: paralyzed
chapter 49: in sync
chapter 50: crossfire
chapter 51: guilt
chapter 52: frequencies
chapter 53: despair
chapter 54: perigee-syzygy
chapter 55: I need you
chapter 56: i have all your passwords
chapter 57: don't leave out the drummer
chapter 58: i'll always be here for you
l. dunbar & v. stilinski // part 2
l. dunbar & v. stilinski // part 3
chapter 59: good news
chapter 60: even up the score
chapter 61: the borrowed book
chapter 62: the beast of beacon hills
chapter 63: apotheosis
chapter 64: welcome back
chapter 65: what do you wanna know?
chapter 66: we did it, brother
chapter 67: magic
chapter 68: picture perfect
chapter 69: holy ground
chapter 70: heartbeat
chapter 71: sunsets
chapter 72: coffee
chapter 73: wolfsbane
chapter 74: where do we start?
chapter 75: goodbyes
chapter 76: don't worry about me
chapter 77: i've been waiting for this
chapter 78: the echo of his scream
chapter 79: this is how it all ends...
chapter 80: unconditionally
chapter 81: till my heart stops
chapter 82: heartbreak
chapter 83: you can talk to me
chapter 84: i'm sorry
chapter 85: graduation
chapter 86: brother let me be your shelter
chapter 87: love always
chapter 88: the necklace
chapter 89: always
thank you!

chapter 27: questions and answers

1.3K 39 47
By skaikruwerewolf

Scott, Liam and Malia join us, realizing we are finally close to figuring out what the hell is going on with me.

And hopefully, we can find a way to make it stop.

I take a deep breath.

I explain to Deaton what happened during the ice bath. How I found my dad, and how we go separated.

"After we got separated...I saw Lydia. She was in a dress. A man was standing behind her. It was Peter Hale. I saw him attack her, I saw when he sunk his teeth into her side...and I...it felt like he actually bit me."

I search Deaton's eyes, hoping that he has an answer for me already.

"Ok. Please continue." Deaton says.

"Then I saw Scott." I say and turn to look at him. "You were fighting another werewolf. You weren't an alpha yet, but whoever you were fighting was. He took his claws and dug them into your torso."

I turn back to Deaton. "It felt like I was the one who was getting my chest slashed by the werewolf."

I stay quiet, debating whether I should say what happened next.

"Was that it?" Deaton asks.

"No."

I take a deep breath and my gaze falls to the floor.

"After that, I see Allison. She's fighting the Oni. She's.." but I can't bring myself to say it. "And it feels like I'm the one who..."

I look up at Deaton.

"Ok." he nods sympathetically. "And after that?"

"I'm on the floor, gasping for air. I was in a lot of...pain."

"Did you see Stiles?" Deaton asks.

"Yeah. At first I just heard him, he was telling me to focus. I saw him after I was able to get up off the floor, I went over to him and I tried to hug him but I couldn't."

"Why?" Deaton asks.

"Because, he was like a hologram. I went right through him."

Deaton is quiet. He's putting everything together.

"Do you know what this is?" Stiles asks.

Deaton looks around the room and then his eyes finally land on mine.

"It's called Suffering Absorption. It's an ability you gained through the ice bath. I've heard rumors about this happening, but I've never witnessed it happening."

"Suffering Absorption? What does that mean?" I ask, confused.

"There are many associations with it. It can be the absorption of physical pain or emotional pain. You absorb the pain by removing it from the source and transferring it, so to speak, into your body. Some can use the absorption of pain to their advantage, such as to heal their own bodies or to enhance their strength and power. Others can't. Some can absorb pain from a source and then transfer it to another source just by using their hands to direct the pain. Some can absorb pain from a large range, others from a limited range and some by just touching those who are in pain."

"And this all happened because of the ice bath?" I ask.

"Well, because of what happened to you during the ice bath. When you took in the pain during the visions you had in the ice bath, you came out of it with the ability to absorb pain."

"So, she's been absorbing pain this whole time?" my dad asks.

"Not necessarily. She's new to this, so she doesn't know how to control it. There's pain all around us, her body has gained this ability and doesn't know what to do with it. It's not like werewolves, who can take pain just by touch as a result of the bite, the sole purpose of one who absorbs pain, the suffering, is to take it away. There are no claws or fangs involved. Like I said, she may have a wide range, or a limited range. What I mean by that is, she might be able to walk into a building and take all of the pain there, just by entering it. Or, she may have a limited range. She'd have to go to a specific room, with a limited number of people and she would only be able to absorb their pain. And if it is just by touch, then it'd be like a werewolf in a way. It could also be a combination." he explains.

My head is spinning, this is a lot of information for me to take in.

"How do we know what kind of range she has? Or what type of pain she absorbs?" Scott asks.

"Well, the range, only time will tell. As for the type of pain it seems to me it's only physical. That would explain the aches  in her body and the headaches." He now turns to me. "The reason for these unbearable headaches of yours is because, when your body would begin to absorb pain, it would all collect in your head, it would all gather there. And since you do not know how to spread it throughout your body and then release it, have it leave your body, your body would release some of the tension through nose bleeds or ear bleeds.

"Wow, ok. Umm, how do I get rid of this? I don't want to live in pain for the rest of my life. Not like this." I say.

"You can't." Deaton says.

I sigh. "Well, I should've figured."

"This stays with you. Forever. You won't necessarily be in pain all of the time. You'll only feel pain, feel the pain of others, when you allow your body to absorb it. With time, you will learn how to do this. It's all under your control. You will also learn how to release pain, how to push it away once you've absorbed it. I will help you. And I will help you figure out if you can use this pain you absorb to your advantage."

"Thanks." I say with a smile.

is this really happening? I suddenly have this ability to absorb pain, only I can't control it yet and the pain is consuming me?

"One more thing." Deaton says. "When you saw Stiles, and when you tried to reach out to him but were unable to because it seemed like he was a hologram, another sort of vision, you and Stiles are now joined in a unique bond."

"What do you mean?" Stiles asks.

"When Veronica was gaining her new abilities, and she crossed paths with you in a vision in the ice bath, she gained a special connection with you. It is the reason why she felt your pain when you bumped your leg. She can feel your pain, very directly. Even from miles away, but that is only the case with you. With time, she'll be able to control her ability, and her body won't absorb the hits you take from lacrosse, but if you were to get critically injured, if you were ever to have a life threatening injury, she'll feel it, and she might even feel the pain you're going through on a greater scale." Deaton explains.

I turn to look at my brother. He has a solemn look on his face.

"And if you were...to die, Stiles...it's highly likely she would die too."

"Does it work the other way around, too? Like, if she dies do I die?" Stiles asks.

"No, that just applies to Veronica." Deaton answers.

"Are there any limitations to the pain I can take?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"Yes. From what I've heard, everyone has a different limit to the amount of pain they can take. If they go over, it can lead to their death." Deaton answers.

It's silent for a while. None of us saying a word. We are all trying to process everything Deaton has told us. It was a lot of information to take in.

I tug on my moms necklace, thinking about what the future holds for me now.

Probably a lot of pain, but according to Deaton, I'll be able to control it, except when it comes to Stiles.

We thank Deaton for everything on our way out. I know he would be able to figure this all out. We're lucky to have him.

He gives me a pill and tells me to take it when I get home. It's some sort of pill made up of herbs that will help me sleep.

Lord knows I need it. 

I say my goodbye's to Scott and Malia.

My brother drops off Liam at his house and we finally make our way home.

The sun has been out for a little while now, but we are barely going to sleep.

My dad and brother walk me to my room. Stiles brings a glass of water with him and hands it to me.

I take the pill, hoping it will help me sleep, and I hope excruciating pain won't be the thing that wakes me up this time.

"All right kiddo, I hope that pill works and you can get some shut eye." my dad says as he pull the covers over me and kisses my forehead.

"We'll talk about this and figure it all out when you wake up, ok?" Stiles says with a smile.

I nod in agreement. They close the door on their way out.

I grab the bear Liam won for me at the carnival last year and hold it close.

A lot has changed since then.

My eyes begin to close, heavy with sleep. 

I feel a sense of calm come over me.

Before I know it, I'm in a deep and much needed peaceful sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

675K 14.9K 84
"A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other. Maybe temporary, maybe at the wrong time, maybe to...
66.3K 1.3K 59
All Haley wanted was a normal life but being the daughter of two very powerful alphas and her boyfriend being a werewolf hunter complicated things. A...
7K 217 41
Casey Argent and her family have moved in to a town called Beacon Hills, and many things begin to change. The secret of her family has begun to come...
62.9K 1.9K 15
Isabella Kaiser's parents are dead. Killed right before her eyes. - When she moves to Beacon Hills to live with her aunt, she thinks she's okay. Bu...