Under His Watch {16th Century...

By MeepyM

Mistress Jacqueline DeWhite is married off to Lord Dominic DeFleur. She is not told anything and is expected... More

Author's Note:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 15 (Part 2)
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 Part 1
Chapter 19 part 2
Chapter 19 Part 3
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue

Chapter 30

41.6K 941 66
By MeepyM

Jacqueline, frowned as Dominic came in but did not say anything. She did not know what else she expected. An ode and a bunch of hybrid flower, made to compliment her love. Instead her husband entered the room with a valet who had begun to undress him.

He removed his master's riding cloak, decorated with golden buttons and a dark green material. He took off the riding gloves and velvet hat. Once he began to remove his shirt, Dominic stopped him. "Return to dress me for my outing after dinner, I can dress myself for now."

"Yes, my lord."

The valet shut the door and it was left with Dominic and Jacqueline. It was quiet the wind blew softly into the bedroom and the fire was out. Jacqueline was sitting in a warm fur rug, her nose and cheeks pink from the cold. Her eyes fluttering between anger and calamity, Dominic chuckled, how adorable.

She sharply looked at him, he looked away from her heated glare and spoke."How was your day?"

There was no reply and he begun unbuttoning his shirt, dropping it carelessly to the ground. Only clad in a hose he seemed more free than when he wore the expensive, uptight ruff and shirt combination. Facing the window he counted to ten before wondering. What was taking her so long? He thought. He looked at her face. She didn't look angry anymore, her face looked almost sleepy.

She yawned before answering. Her blue eyes bleary."Fine, my lord" She stayed quiet after that and continued looking at the window. She was too tired to face this man. The riding had made her more tired than she thought and a nice rest before dinner was exactly what she needed.

Apparently her husband didn't care and it showed in his reply."Good" His gaze was on her,"Stand up"

She looked puzzled. Didn't he like it when she gave him the answers he wanted to hear, when he asked questions and she would not bore him with details of her monotone day. Well not exactly montone, but that's what he thought. Unless..."Why?"

"Because I ordered you too and as your husband you shouldn't even question me," He snapped. He didn't break eye contact as she moved from the warm fur.

She sighed and stood up. Dominic strolled towards her from the otherside of the large bedroom. His eyes scrutinising her person. He grasped the shoulders of her dress, pulling it down to reveal a shoulder. Her skin was creamy white and she shivered, goosebumps appearing."What are you doing?"

"DOMINIC!" She exclaimed. What on earth was he doing? Here he stood only in a hose, no shirt and he was stripping his wife without her consent. The orange dress was a simple day dress. A plain orange gown and a darker orange stomacher with gold lace. Dominic loved how it looked on her but he didn't say and kept to his task. She struggled but he told her to stop it, she nodded and stood still.

He didn't reply to her question either, instead pulled it down to reveal her breast. She knew what was coming. She tried to move away again from him but he captured her legs between his. She couldnt move, he held all the power. She felt debased. Closing her eyes tightly she focused on the sleep she would get after he was done.

He pulled off her gown completely, leaving only her undergarments. She flushed deeply and he continued looking. The curve of her breast and the dip between them. The lush warm colour of her shoulders and her skin. He saw nothing to make him doubt her words.

He released her legs and she stood motionless, waiting for him to do something. He looked at her face, he tilted it upwards and then let go, she was scared. Her eyes searched his face trying to find his next move.

"Dominic," She whispered softly.

His actions stopped at her call. She sounded so calm, so relaxed. He on the otherwise of the emotion specturm was a nervous reck."You have the body of a rider, you would be successful on the saddle." He held her hips and she shook.

"I do like to ride, it relaxes me." She offered, even though she was fearful inside.

"As it does me," He admitted. His breathing shallow and he traced the decoration on her light dress.

"Will you let go?"

"Yes," He said still holding onto her waist.

She smiled and turned around. She touched a shirt button, he didn't relent and for some reason she enjoyed playing with the male clothing item.

He picked up the discarded dress and slowy put it on. He tightened the lace at the back and then added the soft orange stomacher."I will not be joining you for dinner, you may request a private one." His fingers worked nimbly at the task and she felt confused at his kind actions.

"I will, but why did you undress me?" She asked politely. She slowly returned to the bed and wrapped herself on the luxurious furs again. It smelt of oak and it was very comfortable. It was her only protection if he went further.

He put on his shirt and buttoned it up again. Sighing. He was an ass. He was a horrible excuse for a human being. But he wouldn't tell her that, she would laugh in his face, like his father. She would exclaim she told him so, that he was a violent fucked up bastard. He wished he was someone better and he ran a hand through his hair thinking.

He looked to the evening sky. It was growing late, but a ride would do him no harm. Besides work could wait."Nothing to concern yourself with, wife. I will see you tomorrow." He bowed and left the room. He left Jacqueline.

She waited before she reacted, she didn't want him to catch her defeat. Tears streamed down her face. Her inspection was complete. Like the cattle she had become, before a sale there was a check up. But who was he selling her to?

+++++++

William cried joyfully, hugging the child tightly he glared at the man that had almost killed him."He is mine to do as I wish from now on. Do not touch him."

The words rolled so easily and William knew he would protect him no matter what. He thanked the lord profoundly for this gift to him.

The ship had docked but the man had dropped him onto the rocks and Lord Smith had been reading at the bottom. The solider caught him, although wounded Samuel was not dead. A serious gash was on the side of his head.

He had run up with the unconscious child, blood on his back and his face. And gave him to William. The man most likely knew that Smith, being a well known solider and a good friend of Dominic, wouldn't hesistate to kill him if he didn't give William the child.

Smith allowed the men some privacy but stood further away, watching. The man was still furious at William's interruption, and probably his too."This is how I deal with all my useless slaves."

William ignored him and rocked the unconscious child into his arms. Walking towards the castle, the man sighed only angrily before sitting on the shore side. Looking towards the waves."Smith you may leave now,"

The man nodded and waved, walking towards the rocks were he had been before. The man cursed William loudly, laughing at how he had taken a weak slave and he would die in a matter of days anyway.

William did not speak to him instead focused on getting Samuel to safety.The child's eyes were fully shut and he couldn't see what was going on William was glad. No one wanted to see what had just happened.

"What is going on?" William turned around slowly. He wouldn't risk injuring the child and the fact it was almost midnight meant all the highway men and crooks came out.

The voice repeated it's question, and William sighed in relief as well as dissatisfaction, that it couldn't be anyone else"Nothing, Lord DeFleur."

Dominic got off the horse and William bent his head towards him. He knew Dominic did not like him and the fact was frankly he didn't care. "What's that in your arms?"

"It is a child he was injured that's all I am to take him and get him some medical attention,"

"And you wanted to walk?" William nodded mutely, Dominic shook his head and stepped closer toward the child.

He peered into his face"He has a strong face." Dominic mumbled.

William couldn't see it, but then Dominic as a warrior, and now swordsman to his majesty did."Thanks,"

Dominic looked away from his face and looked at William's. There were bags and large ones. A flow of blood had dried from the child to William's face most likely when he picked him up.

"I'll accompany you back, it is late and dangerous you may ride with me."

"Thank you, my lord,"

Dominic nodded and the two men lifted Samuel onto the horse, his body did not stir obedient as William crooned him to stay still and rest. Dominic got onto the horse and outreached for William's hand and as he was lifted the two men smiled at each other before Dominic lurched into motion.

They arrived back at the castle and it was as peaceful as when Dominic left. Not very peaceful. A servant came and took Dominic's horse and taking the child William thanked him again."Servant boy,"

Two boys came out of the shadows, one black and one white. William smiled at their obvious friendship and they bowed towards the men."Get some food and a bath prepared to some spare chambers immediately."

The servants nodded and bowing didn't even ask for Dominic's name and scuttled away. "You didn't have to be so impolite, my lord."

Dominic turned around smirking. The little priest had an opinion"Servants should be treated as such I am a noble they are not my equal, brother dearest."

"Servants are the same blood and skin, they will be judged as you will be." William hissed. Samuel groaned and William touched the gash on his head. That would need to be cleaned.

Dominic kept quiet on continuing the debate"Come with me."

William soothed the child and followed him. Taking him to a spare room William lay Samuel down. His eyes fluttered slightly but then closed again.

The room Dominic had brought them in was large. It was a guest room Dominic knew it was one of the hundreds that Francis never used for guests. Saying it was too outdated even though Dominic thought they were fine. A large king sized bed with the finest silks used as sheets and furs for warmth. A large fire place held coal and wood but was not alight. There was a bookshelf and a large landscape image of an afternoon summers day.

Dominic lit the fire and waited for it to cackle before getting off the floor. He used the fire to light five candles and then he started to pace. There was a knock and Dominic opened it. The two boys came in armed with a two plates of food, two drinks and bath tub. The water unherbed.

"Where is the third plate of food please?" William asked ripping off Samuel's measly undergarments . He rolled the child onto his stomach before taking the water and rollig up his sleeves.

"I didn't know you wanted some for the boy sir," The white boy answered.

The black child stayed quiet and Dominic roared at them to get him some food and clothes immediately. Running out again Dominic rose an eyebrow.

"Yes yes... If I don't order the servants they won't know what to do." Dominic chuckled lightly and went brought the water to William using his shirt as a sponge.

"Lord DeFleur I am grateful." William revealed whilst slowly cleaning Samuels wounds. The whip makes deep into his skin.

"It's what I would of done, I hope," Dominic knelt beside Samuel,"Get some rest William."

"Ye-Yes of course, my lord," He stuttered, slightly happy that Dominic cared somewhat."How is Jacqueline ?"

Dominic paused thinking of an answer that wouldn't get him a kick in the groin or a punch in the face."Well enough, she has every luxury." Dominic looked at the sleeping child, he looked so peaceful. Was Jacqueline peaceful? I doubt it. "Well I am to retire," William nodded, still cleaning the wound.

The children returned with bandages, clothes of Samuel's size but more wealthier, and food."Place it over there. You are dismissed for tonight. Be back tomorrow."

"Yes, my lord" They boys bowed and turned to leave, but the black boy lingered.

"Yes what do you want?"Dominic asked. Servants that lingered normally wanted gossip and some masters were well known for learning an extra thing or two for some pennies.

William looked up, the child was looking intently at Samuel's asleep form."Nothing, my lord." The child whispered.

"Well then leave."

The child bowed again and opened the door to leave."Wait!" William called. His eyes focused still on Samuel.

"Yes sir,"

"I wish to speak to you," He saw the child look fearfully at Dominic"Goodnight Lord DeFleur."

Dominic rolled his eyes and walked out, slamming the door at his displeasure."Do you know him?"

The child blinked rapidly"Yes sir, he's my brother." A tear slid down his cheek."Master doesn't' like Samuel. He beats Samuel. He don't beat me because I'm a good boy but he beats Samuel."

William nodded"I will look after him if it's okay," A big smile grew on the child's face."He will of course be able to visit you maybe weekly but for now he is recovering."

The child came closer"I'll leave you two alone."

The child thanked him and William realised how much he towered over him. The child hugged him tightly and then bent his head down. Too scared.

William enveloped him and the child cried, before William walked out. The child knelt beside his brother and whispered a quick prayer kissing his head and walked out.

+++

Dominic returned to the room, William was next to the child dribble running down his face his blond hair sticking all over the child's face. The child on the other hand brown arm was flung on William's face and Dominic chuckled lightly.

Smiling he sat down opposite them and sighing bored as they snored he dropped a note for William to join him for lunch and walked out again.

He went to his room. Dermont armed with his shaving items Dominic finished changing quickly. He partook in a small breaking of his fast before heading to Jacqueline's room. She was still asleep. She looked so happy asleep.

Maybe it was because he couldn't see her eyes. But she seemed, free and beautiful, a Lilly. She floated independently from the world that they were in. Her long chestnut brown hair was indecently out. Her body was covered by the thick furs and Dominic shuddered as to how cold she could be. He relit the fire and shut the window.

He did it for his mother when she was dying. The horrible memories flooded back. Her last weeks, days, hours spent in her bed. The child that grew in her womb was a timer towards her death. She use to ask only Dominic to closer her windows, light her fire or read to her. She wouldn't allow her husband anywhere near her as she was pregnant and the last hours after. Dominic felt as just doing that simple duty for the woman he loved- his mother, showed his need to love, to be useful.

Sighing in pain Dominic left the room. He had already invaded her privacy the day before, he had without asking her removed her clothing like a whore- without consent and did not tell her the reason. Now he stood like a statue, slienty, watching her as she slept.

He saddled his horse and headed to James' house...

Dominic grabbed a drink pouring himself a large glass of wine, as he angrily waited for William to arrive. He began gulping down the drink before James stopped him with his comment.

"God your acting like a love struck crone, we've been waiting for a bloody hour already, I don't think another minute will kill you." James commented.

"He's taking his damn time," Dominic motioned for the servants to take away the bottle and then unbuttoned one of his shirts buttons. "And yes it will at this rate,"

James rolled his eyes at his friend. Always the dramatic. That reminded him, "I am thinking of going to England,"

"Pardon?" Dominic sipped some of the drink slowly.

"England, London or Devonshire. I have a sudden distaste for France and with my father's background and estates I will be able to live decently in England."

"But why now?" Dominic said sourly. He knew the answer. James' English father, the orginal Duke was long buried in the soil in England. James' had always prefered his mother's French roots and had lived in France most of his life, apart from the business he conducted in England, he had no other reason to mention it. It was her. Dominic wouldn't allow his friend to ruin his life for a woman."England is for the desperate."

"I seem to fit into that category, besides I have two properties and one apartment. I will live in comfort. I will sell the town house for the funds to go and the retinue, the food and inns. I will find a wife, as you suggested and maybe in two years we will do this in England."

"England cusine could not be as good as this." Dominic used his friend's love of food who sighed in fustration before coming up with a response. The two men had met at James town house for lunch and the food already brought in, both men gazed longingly at meat on array.

"I'll being a French cook. I'll have dinner parties of the English ton." James' mouth watered slightly as he looked at the beefs, pork, joints and pies. The meal was set up simply for men. No lavish items, just meat.

The servants had served the meal and excused to take theirs. James enviously dimissed them, desperate to devour at the meals on hand. The auroma of herbs drifted into their noses. The freshly baked bread stood proud and golden waiting to be eaten. But he was too polite to begin without their guest.

"The English are just a bunch of ass. They own nothing and laughed are by Europe. France is wanted for its army and alliance. You are one of the most powerful men in the county, in the world."

"I know, but unlike you I don't suck up everything Francis spurts out. I can live without him, and without France."

Dominic flipped around furiously at James glaring at him evily and poured him a drink, giving it to him James sipped before glancing at the clock"I'm fucking starving, get a servant to call him!" James continued.

"Boy," Dominic called, James rolled his eyes, the servant looked tiredly up at the guests call.

"Paul," James corrected.

"Yes, my lord?" He stood up brushing the dust off his uniform and stood respectfully.

"Please see if Father William will be joining us for lunch," James politely requested."I want a messager to take a note to the Palace." He said calmly.

Paul looked at his master, the man was looked very calm. James in the inside, wanted to rip a leg of duck and begin his quest for filling his empty belly. But he knew his servant would most likely gossip about it and he was in a delicate situation wih his reputation, and repulsed that thought. The boy scraped a bow and walked out.

Dominic rolled his eyes at his friend and continuing pacing the room. The servant opened the windows and the heat reduced in the room.

"My lords, I apologise for being late." William bowed low entering the room, his face covered in perspiration. His clothes neat, a grey doublet with golden buttons and dark black pantaloons, his shirt white and pressed. His shoes shined to perfection, were all the exact message to his face.

"You took your bloody time DeWhite." Dominic mumbled, sitting down at least William took his seat opposite him with James at the head of the table and they said grace.

"Again I apologise." William repeated, dipping his hands in the bowl of water given to cleanse them he waited for the two nobles to begin eating before accepting a plate of steak.

"William, this is one of my closet friends and duke Lord Wilson."

William glanced up at his host. A broad smile on the man's face."It's an honour, your grace." The care was in his voice, the pity too.

James nodded"You've heard about my wife?"

William looked up, flushing slightly. It was a DeFleur trait. Flushing easily and it embrassed him. He did not want to talk about court gossip. Apparently the handsome, charming lord Wilson had been conned and used by his gold digging wife. Rumors flew around the court that she was King Henry's Mistress, the butcher's whore and anyone's slut. And the duke, her husband had left court for his town home, in shame.

"Yes, your grace." William's mind drifted onto Samuel, his mind too busy to think of gossip, whilst looking at the older lord.

No one had heard from him and when being invited by Dominic and the man himself he had, has to wake up early to look after Samuel and watch the doctor administer the medicine. Just in case. The hatred of black people was still there in some communities and William wouldn't let Samuel come under any harm.

"And?"

Being offered a dish by James' he took it before answering, William bit into the meat slowly chewing under Dominic's quiet gaze before replying."And what, your grace?"

Dominic shook his head and belched."Of course your opinion, priest,"

William looked up"Yes of course, my lord."

James expected an answer," It is not my business and all I can pray for you is that you both find happiness again for something that was not your fault." He paused" Your grace."

James got up, not commenting but his head full of respect for the man's answer. He had not said James' should punish Anna as society and Dominic had, nor had he said he had neglected her. Instead he just wished for the two people to be happy. This was a good man. He was like his sister.

There was a knock at the door, and James' deciding to occupy his body with something, strode towards the door"Yes?" The door flung open and there was Anna.

She wore a french hood, adorned with simple white pearls and it covered the abundance of soft red hair. Her dress was a green afternoon dress. High necked but fanned out dramatically, showing off her narrow waist but curvy hips. "How are you darling?" She tried to kiss him on the cheek, and angry he flung away the arm about to hold his neck.

"I hope you are well lady Anna I did not know you had left court," Dominic jested, who was quickly at his side.

He knew she had been banished by her husband. Everyone knew, rumors grew and Edward Thomas confirmed it, but everyone was too polite and too scared to mock The Duke in his face.

She rolled her eyes and ignored his comment, and hitched her skirt slightly showing a pale white leg.

"Come to bed husband and I'll show you I only desire you."

James looked longily at her body, her breasts which showed and the lavish jewels on top of them, covering what rightly belonged to him. Making him want to ravish it there and then."Anna, please leave before you disgrace yourself even more,"

"Please excuse me. Lord Wilson," Dominic got up "Whore." He shoved Anna onto the floor, her hand twisted painfully as she landed on it, her body weight crushing it. She cried out as he walked out the house.

++++++

"How is he?" Francis asked as he poured a small glass of wine for the two men.

Dominic took the glass and looked around the office Francis had. It was near gardens, servants ready with trays of food and a comfortable chair for Francis to do petty work in, or gossip. "He is better your majesty but she is there."

"Fine," Francis said, his head was irritated at the whole affair, he had duties to attend to and not just gossip. But before he did," and Jacqueline?"

Dominic stayed quiet, he hadn't seen his wife properly. It felt like Francis knew the failure that was their relationship. Mainly because of him but partly her fault. And if he lied Francis would know"Go find her Dominic now."

"Yes, your majesty"

Dominic walked out of the king's greeting room and headed for their room. She's most likely in there.

Their room was empty, the windows blowing fiercely, the candles blown and the bed newly laid."Lady DeFleur"

Dominic called several times for his wife. He was searching around, checking the spare parlour Francis had added to their rooms at court.

"Where is my wife?" Dominic asked a walking servant.

"I don't know your lordship I have only seen her this morning." Alice repiled. He walked off and Alice curtised, just in case he turned back.

Dominic was angry, he decided to go riding. Clear his thoughts of life and focus on being young for once. Saddled and ready Dominic wouldn't even find the horsewoman and thank her but is read took a greedy gulp of the flask of lemonade and didn't even bother to check if there were enough bullets. She always did.

Riding out he enjoyed it, being fast and free with Storm by his side. The wind slapped him in the face constantly but it got him off his mind about Jacqueline. She had probably had gone dress shopping or some other womanly pass time.

He had given her enough money to do so. He had gone to the most expensive stores in Paris, near the castle and left credit in her name. He had left a note somewhere too saying so, but he wasn't sure she had read it.

Dominic continued riding across the green. Storm cantered to his masters whim, and didn't slow down as Dominic tightened the reins and forced it to go further.

"Who's there?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.4K 1.5K 55
Dealing with her father being a school bus driver and her mother's drug addiction. Nina Jewel Harris is having trouble achieving her dreams: wanted t...
7.4K 61 9
You're good friends with JJ Maybank, but when all of a sudden you stop talking to him, it gets complicated.. what happens when this pushes you into t...
14.3M 437K 71
Ever since her mother's death, Adelaide Emelry has been living with her abusive father, who also happens to be the king of Soleria. Despite living in...
173K 7.7K 42
"I will never marry a woman like you" Benedict vowed fiercely. But Cassandra smiled. "Vows are always made to be broken. Just like you broke you'r...