The Girl Who Stayed (Doctor W...

By filmgeek97

Jordyn Avery lived a half life. After her parents divorce, she learned to only depend on herself. When the Do... More

The Interview
Run
Rose
The Tyler's Flat
The Plastic Boyfriend
Into the Future
In The End
The Lady Cassandra
Earth Death
A Look At The Past
The Unquiet Dead
The Gelth
The Anger of the Gelth
Missing: Rose Tyler
Bleeding Out
Gridlock
The Alien Body
Downing Street
The Slitheen
Mickey Saves The Day
Rose Comes Home
The Living Specimen
The Last of My Kind
Jordyn Avery Is Dead
The Broken Dalek
The Time Lord and The Empath
Floor Five Hundred
Rose's Father
Peter Tyler
The Wedding No One Will Forget
World War 2
The Doctor and the Captain
The Captain and the Empath
The Doctor Dances

The Empty Child

515 13 0
By filmgeek97

"Who was the last one in?" Nancy demanded.

"Them." Ernie pointed at the Doctor and me.

"No, they came round the back. Who came in the front?" Nancy asked.

"Me." One of the boys replied, staring at the ground with wide eyes.

"Did you close the door?"

"Er."

"Did you close the door?"

"Mummy? Mummy? Mummy?" The child by the front door called.

"What's this, then? It's never easy being the only child left out in the cold, you know." The Doctor told her, grabbing my hand and walking to the front door.

"I suppose you'd know." Nancy rolled her eyes.

"I do actually, yes." He replied.

"It's not exactly a child."

"Mummy?"

"Right, everybody out. Across the back garden and under the fence. Now! Go! Move!" Nancy ordered.

The children grabbed their coats and darted out of the dining room. Nancy walked over to the remaining little girl who couldn't be more than four She looked scared to death.

"Come on, baby, we've got to go, all right? It's just like a game. Just like chasing. Take your coat, go on. Go!" The little girl ran out after the others.

"You're really brave, you know?" I told her.

"How? I'm just keeping myself and these kids alive."

"You're growing up in the middle of a war, so they don't have to. You could still be a teenager but you became a parent figure for these kids in the middle of a war so that they wouldn't have to learn to fend for themselves. That's incredibly brave."

She grinned. "Thank you so much." She hugged me, and I hugged back tightly.

"Mummy? Mummy? Please let me in, mummy. Please let me in, mummy." The child outside begged. A hand reached through the letterbox.

"Are you all right?" The Doctor asking, reaching to hold the child's hand.

"Please let me in."

Nancy grabbed something and threw it at the child's hand so it withdrew. The item she threw broke into pieces.

"You mustn't let him touch you!" She shouted.

"Why?" I asked. "What happens if he touches us?"

"He'll make you like him." She muttered.

"And what's he like?" The Doctor glanced at Nancy and the door the child stood behind.

"I've got to go." She told us before trying to run away. I grabbed her by her collar and held her in place.

"Nancy, what's he like?" I asked.

"He's empty." She whispered.

Suddenly, the phone started to ring.

"It's him." She muttered. "He can make phones ring. He can. Just like with that police box you saw."

I stared at the phone in fear and the Doctor slowly picked up the telephone. I walked over and he let me listen in.

"Are you my mummy?"

I placed the phone back on the hook. Just then, the radio in the dining room started up.

"Mummy? Please let me in, mummy." Then, a clockwork monkey started up.

"Mummy, mummy, mummy."

"You two stay if you want to." Nancy told us before running out the back.

The boy put his hand through the letterbox again and I noticed a scar on the back of his hand.

"Doctor, I think we should go." 

"Hold on just a minute."

"Mummy? Let me in please, mummy. Please let me in."

"Your mummy isn't here." The Doctor told the child.

"Are you my mummy?"

"Doctor!" He held up one finger asking for just one minute. "UGH!" I started to pace the hallway in frustration.

"No mummies here. Nobody here but us chickens." I glared at him. "Well, this chicken."

"I'm scared." The child cried.

"NOBODY CARES YOU'RE GOING TO KILL ALL OF US!!" I shouted at the door.

"Jordyn!" The Doctor exclaimed.

"Well, it's the truth." I sighed, taking a seat on the steps.

"Why are those other children frightened of you?" The Doctor asked.

"Please let me in, mummy. I'm scared of the bombs."

"Okay. I'm opening the door now." 

"DOCTOR!"

"He's a scared kid, Jordyn."

"Yeah, a scared kid who's going to kill you, and me, and Rose and EVERYBODY ELSE! Nancy wouldn't run away from an innocent child who's just scared and you know it."

The Doctor rolled his eyes and opened the door to an empty street. He glanced around and nobody was there.

"Great! He's gone! NOW LET'S GO HOME!" I stood up and started walking away, but the Doctor stayed in place.

"Where did Nancy go?" He wondered.

"OH MY GOD!" I slumped back against the door.

"No, but seriously, where did she go?"

"She left out the back after the clockwork monkey."

"Let's go." He grabbed my hand, and I groaned as he pulled me towards the back of the house.

"Doctor, for once in your life can you not be so self-destructive?"

"Nope."

We ran to a railway station and saw Nancy hiding food she took from the house we were in.

We walked over and smiled at her and she jumped back when she saw us.

"How'd you follow me here?"

"He's good at following, him. Got the nose for it." I told her, tapping the Doctor's nose lightly.

"People usually can't follow me if I don't want them to." She muttered.

"My nose has special powers." He told her.

"Yeah? That's why it's-" She trailed off.

"What?" He grinned, knowing what she planned to say.

"Nothing." She shook her head, discarding the thought.

"What?" He insisted.

"Nothing. Do your ears have special powers too?" She asked innocently, and I burst out laughing.

"What are you trying to say?" The Doctor grinned.

"Goodnight, Mister, Missus."

"Oh, no we're not-" The Doctor and I both shook our heads.

She frowned. "Are you dating then?"

"Well, yeah, but..." The Doctor trailed off for a moment and glanced down at me as if worried he could possibly offend me. I gestured for him to continue.

"We're dating, but no marriage, at least not anytime soon." The Doctor told her and she nodded.

"I'm glad you're dating, I would hate to see that kind of love gone to waste, it's too beautiful. Now, if you'll excuse me. I have to say goodnight."

"Nancy, there's something chasing you and the other kids. It looks like a boy and it isn't a boy, and it started about a month ago, right?" I asked and she nodded. I was reading her emotions, she had deeply rooted fear, but not the kind that makes you willing to spend the rest of your life running, the kind that is recent. 

I glanced at the Doctor and nodded at him. This was it. This was the spacecraft we had been chasing. 

"The thing that I'm looking for, the thing that fell from the sky, that's when it landed. " There was a brief moment of realization on Nancy's face. "And you know what I'm talking about, don't you?"

"There was a bomb. A bomb that wasn't a bomb. Fell the other side of Limehouse Green."

"Take us there." The Doctor ordered.

"There's soldiers guarding it. Barbed wire. You two will never get through."

"Try us." I smirked.

"You sure you want to know what's going on in there?" Nancy asked apprehensively.

"We really want to know." I nodded.

"Then there's someone you need to talk to first."

"And who might that be?" The Doctor asked.

"The Doctor." Nancy replied.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 2.1K 19
Life was normal for Lily, normal and boring. She’s twenty-three and still living at home, though by her own choice, she still wished she could get ou...
74.5K 3.4K 72
"I thought I told you not to wander off," the Doctor reminds her but she ignores him. "I changed my mind," Cherry muses, a small smile playing on he...
20.6K 625 35
She goes by many names. The adventurer, the genius; A liar, a truth seeker. But in the end, all of that won't matter any more. Why? The universe is...
13.3K 546 24
When Nine regenerates into Ten, Rose feels like she needs to adjust to the change and get to know this new Doctor, like she did the old one. But even...