Under His Watch {16th Century...

By MeepyM

Mistress Jacqueline DeWhite is married off to Lord Dominic DeFleur. She is not told anything and is expected... More

Author's Note:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 15 (Part 2)
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19 Part 1
Chapter 19 part 2
Chapter 19 Part 3
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue

Chapter 18

44.7K 1K 23
By MeepyM

A week later:

Francis rolled off the warm bed, the light hit him on the face and he took off his night gown. The large room he was in was not uncomfortable and he the scent of rose lingered as it had been cleaned that night, and was to be that morning as well.

Opening the window he was calm, the wind blew gently here near to the shore but slightly inland for the relationship between William and his parish members. He relaxed and felt now not as a king but a normal man, after seeing Dominic's disgusting behaviour he had knelt in his private chapel for hours. Francis needed relief, he needed a friend without connections and he had left court deciding to go to William for comfort.

The priest had been an accepting host, gracious and polite and he had offered his servants for his disposal but that was exactly what Francis did not want. He had dismissed them all with a flicker of his hand and demanded no one knew of his presence.

Instead he had been given this haven of privacy, clustered with books for his leisure and a warm flickering fire he had enjoyed the two days he had been here. An apple cut and washed for his morning appetite before breakfast, he took a slice and ate.

It was crisp in his mouth and he took the other half and let his long black hair tumble down his back.

Grabbing his clothes off the chair they were on he noticed the neatness of its condition. It must have been pressed, white and long sleeved it fitted him perfectly however it was not his. Frowning slightly he put on his pantaloons and tied his hair in a ponytail before putting on his boots. Shined to perfection he knew that someone had been in his room, and he would demand why.

However instead of commenting at that moment he let the light stream into the room and opened he bedroom door walking out.

Heading towards the parlour Francis was still in awe of the tiny house. There was barely any furniture but the simple rugs and tapestries on the wall were tasteful and somehow suited William.

He sat down in the warming room, the flames flickered and everywhere, the door was shut light streamed from the side windows but the grand one had not been opened. Francis closed his eyes in peace before a knock and a cough startled him awake.

"Good morning your majesty," William bowed low as the king sat in his parlour room, Amelia was in tow behind him holding some two bowls with a younger girl in tow holding two cups.

"Good morning Father William," The king acknowledged her with a smile which was unheard off and Amelia smiled in response.

"You look well this morning your majesty and you to father,” She commented placing the food down and her and the younger child curtsied low about to withdraw.

"Thank you,” William mumbled clearly embarrassed a blush formed on his cheeks.

"That's polite of you to say so Mistress Haert," The sovereign responded and she curtsied again ushering the little girl out the room. "Mistress Haert please sit with us if your master has no duties to attend to." The king looked at Amelia smiling.

He was intrigued, he wanted to know more about this woman who had snared the priest and turned him into a love struck puppy.

Francis had heard so much about her as William had unconsciously been talking about her all night. I would marry a woman, a decent one such as Ms Haert. Were his words and a plan forming in his mind Francis did not comment instead sipped the wine offered and excused himself to change.

After dressing he went back into his study and began reading, Francis entering afterwards for a drink they had conversed and his addiction towards Amelia had been somewhat annoying.

He was very intrigued.

"As you wish your majesty"

William ate slowly and Francis finished quickly smiling at Amelia." My compliments to the chef Amelia"

"I am the chef, your majesty, so thank you" She replied, looking at William. He continued eating not once looking up from his plate.

"Father William,” She spoke nervously, the cooking reminded her of something and she needed to get it off her chest. And as quickly as possible.

William looked up. "Yes Amelia,”

"I have a question,”

He relaxed, nothing personal, nothing that would make him blush or giggle like a school child and have to clear his throat. "Yes Amelia would you like to talk in private as confession or..." he trailed off not wanting to offend Francis.

Francis was quiet, flicking a dark lock out of his hair he watch these two stare at each other longer than deemed polite.

"It demands no privacy father," She spoke firmly. Francis traced the carving in the table, a smooth straight line and he enjoyed its coldness.

"I am concerned I am of a marriageable age and no man many have wanted to court me but since no family I wanted you to help me pick one" A sad tone was in her voice.

No one wanted her. No one needed her and the moment when her last suitor had left her because of her ten pound dowry she knew she needed to get married and quickly.

She would have to obey her lord god and wed soon for the good of the country and his household otherwise she would be a disgrace, a fool in the eyes of others. Especially her brothers, they did not love her and her they and they had disowned her to prove it.

She would die old and alone, a salty tear slid gently down her face every night, signifying one more day of loneliness.

William was quiet, colour returning to his face. But from anger. He didn't want Amelia to be married, she would leave him. He would be alone again in his own home. He stayed calm. "It would be my pleasure Mistress Haert,"

He would miss her, she was such a good person. But she would belong to her husband and William had no right to befriend her if it was his wish she didn't.

Being also a herbal woman, she helped the poor and sick for a small fee only what they could afford. She used her pay to pay for the rest. "I have a baron that is in sore need of a wife." Francis interjected, a plan forming in his eyes.

"He is looking for an able wife and you able to read and do physical tasks would be useful to him he lives in Surrey,”

Williams’s breath caught. Surrey! It was weeks away from his miniature home in Cornwall. But he couldn't compare to a baron especially if the king wanted the match. A baron would look after her and treat her like a princess.

"My lord, I am too low to marry a baron,” She retorted. He was probably better than no one since even William didn't want her.

"Nonsense," He continued. "Actually when I return to court you must come with me and meet the man you may come also father to inspect the man let's say."

Amelia and William stayed quiet. They didn't want this. She should have asked in private he thought. He was going to lose her.

"It's an honour your majesty,” She replied monotone.

"Good we leave in a fortnight." Francis got up and smirking walked out the room.

They looked at each other and pissed off William slammed the country house door and left. He needed to walk and more importantly he needed Amelia.

+++

"Father!" William spun around "Father,"

He sighed. "Good morning Peter,"

The child ran and hugged William's leg, the tuft of dirty blond hair was clean for once and William ran his hair though it. "How is Emmanuel?" William asked.

The boy looked through glassy grey eyes at the priest. "He is well father but he's ailing. He sent me outside to play. Miss Amelia said I should find you, she gave me this."

The five year old held a basket filled with bread, meat and herbs for Emmanuel. He was chewing on a small boiled sweet and William ruffled his hair before returning to the scene he was in front of.

William looked pitifully at the boy, his older brother Emmanuel had looked after him since childhood, their mother had died and father left for work never to return. Coming here, to his parish Emmanuel had looked after the boys without another desire for himself. But he was often ill, the flu or the cold and when he was bed ridden, Peter was supposed to play then.

"I shall visit him, come lets go." William took Peter's skinny fingers into his own and headed away from his land into the town.

Peter walked proudly with the priest, William wearing a neat riding outfit consisting of a long flowing grey buttoned cloak and black buttons. His boots pointed and shined to a high standard he smiled at his parish members.

"Good morning,” William greeted and everyone smiled back whilst Peter tugged him for his attention and led him to his house door.

Opening the door William stepped in and greeted Emmanuel a good morning. "Peter says you are sick."

Emmanuel's light brown eyes inherited from his deceased mother was surrounded by a old layer of sweat was drying on his face. His light brown hair stuck to his forehead and the rest was hidden behind him and his usually smiling face was in agony.

"Nothing of concern father." He coughed. "I will be bed ridden for a while." He laughed at himself before coughing again.

"I will pray for you Amelia sends her good wishes."

Emmanuel grinned. "You are finally with the woman of your dreams."

William frowned, that reminded him of Amelia. "She is to marry a baron." Emmanuel's face dropped he knew the childhood crush William had on the servant.

Emmanuel closed his eyes as his fever continued to take over him and his sweat broke to his face. "Forgive me I have forgotten about you."

"No no father." He reached shakily for his water and William rushed to the water passing it to him. He brought it to his lips and Emmanuel drank it.

Peter ran in the room. "Do not run in the house Peter."

Peter cast his eyes shamefully to the ground. “I'm sorry brother."

Emmanuel affectionately ruffled his brother's hair and told him to make a cheese sandwich for himself, the child simply nodded and smiling at William ran to the kitchen.

"I will sleep father." Emmanuel said tiredly. "Thank you for the visit. God bless you." Emmanuel's eyelids fluttered and he snuggled in his duvet.

William went into the kitchen and Peter was now cutting the sandwich he had made. The little boy looked down at the sandwich and apologized for only making one, to share. “You can have mine Father"

William simply looked outside, it was about mid-day he needed to go home, the king would be severely angry if he disrespected him any further. "I'll see you later."

Peter bit into his food and waved goodbye and William realising a lot grinned putting his cloak on again and walked out the house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 130K 65
Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Charlotte, and plenty of opinions on what...
156K 11.8K 42
To many, Scarlett James is known as the illustrious Lady Humphries. To a select few, she's recognized as Madame Mischief, the woman who pens London's...
41.4K 1.5K 55
Dealing with her father being a school bus driver and her mother's drug addiction. Nina Jewel Harris is having trouble achieving her dreams: wanted t...
569K 33.7K 43
A younger sister cannot wed before an older sister. It's a law of their society, a rule vehemently obeyed by prominent families in the nobility, and...