π‘‡β„Žπ‘’ πΉπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘Žπ‘˜π‘  πΊπ‘œ 𝑂𝑒�...

By tyragathers

Imagine that life was perfect. It was normal. You were popular and happy. Everything was going your way until... More

Synopsis
Characters
Welcome to Sunnydale
Dead Body In The Locker
Prowling
That Guy Just Turned To Dust
First Kill
Sexual Tension
Deliver
New Man
Heads Up
Just The Beginning
She's On Fire
We're Basically Dating
Semi Nude Engravings
She's A Witchy
Grow Up
Am I Dreaming?
Growing Closer
Bug Ugly
Claw
Crush On An Insect
Is He A Virgin?
She-Mantis
Chambers
Not together
Tonight Is The Night... Again
Dead Date
Use The Book
Attack Pack
Different
Brutal Game
Wee Little Piggy
Welcome To The Jungle
Wild Dogs Attack
Zookeeper
Broken
Time
Change
Melted Shoes
Moloch the Demon
Now You Get A Taste
Our Love Life Is Doomed
Be My Deputy
Invisble Girl
New Things Coming Up
Have A Nice Summer
Can You Say Gulp
Who Do I Like?
I Don't Want To Die
Death
I Got All Pretty
𝑺𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝑰𝑰
Hate This
She's Back
She's Different
Serious as Cheese Fries
Trout
Sledghammering Her Issues
New Hunk Vamp
Spike, Snyder, and Sour Lemonade
Women and Axes
Author's Note
Empty Graves and Pick Up Lines
Secrets and Zombie Armies
Jealousy and Human Parts
Dead Heads And Dead Boys
When The Past Comes Back To Bite You In The Butt
Unrequited Love and Musical Chairs
Exhange Students
Seals and Bands
Mummies and Desire
Extra Terrestrials With Movie Star Looks
Lies, Guys, and More Orgies?
Toasts To Being Tired Of Maturity
I Don't Wanna Play No Games
Move Like A Snake
Not An Update
To Be Truly Happy
Just A Little Envy... Make That Jealousy
Beautiful Brunettes
Secrets and Boos
Enough Method Acting
Did I Just Hear A Baby?
Stay Away
Hot Cocoa & Bromances
When The Past Comes Back To Haunt You
All Your Dramatics Are Driving Me Crazy
Talk Of Cures And Futures
Good Cop Bad Cop
Handbooks and T-Shirts
Three Heads Are Better Than One
Hi
Birthday Blues and Terrible News
Kisses, Secrets, And A Big Blue Dude
Down Low Meetings And Down 'Bad' Good Guy
Rocket Launchers and Smurf Parts
To Be So: In Love, Distraught, Lonely
Love Letters And Death Notes
The Boy Who Cried For Someone To Love Him
Romeo Oh Romeo
Orbs, Spells, and 'Forgive Me' Candy Bars
Without Passion, We'd Truly Be Dead
Boogeyman and Ghosts
Monster Killers and Secret Visits
Unexpected Visitors and Unfathomable Feelings
The Ghost Whisperer And The Disk
It Was Never About You
It's The End Of The World As We Know It
If The Apocalypse Comes... Beep Me
I Can Go To School?... Yay
Season III
Andrew The Gymnast, No Wonder They Can't Catch Him
Wanna Go A Few Rounds?
Civil Picnics and Disco Daves

First An Undead Cat... Now A Booze-less Hootenanny

527 33 35
By tyragathers

3rd Person's POV

Buffy walks along the road on the sidewalk, looking around as a truck drives by. She hears something fall to the ground and break, and stops to look in the direction of the sound. Slowly she starts to walk in that direction.

The sound takes her to an intersection in a nearby alley. Buffy comes around the corner and looks down the adjoining way. There she sees a man dressed in black, walking suspiciously, as though looking for something. She begins to follow silently, but doesn't notice an empty aluminum can on the pavement, and steps on it.

The man reacts instantly to the noise, spins around and swings at her with a stake. Buffy throws up her arms and cross blocks the swing, then deftly takes the stake from the man's hands and raises it to counter attack. He steps back, and the white cross hanging from his neck swings around, standing out in marked contrast to the rest of his attire. Buffy sees that it's Xander, and stays her attack. Xander is taken completely by surprise and just stares back at her.

Buffy stands lowering the stake from him then shakes it playfully, "Didn't anyone ever warn you about playing with pointy sticks? It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye."

"You shouldn't sneak up on people like that!"

He breathes hard, trying to catch his breath. He looks at her, trying to convince himself that it's really her, and finally manages a weak smile.

"Jeez, Buff!"

Suddenly a vampire smashes his way out of a crate leaning against a wall. He lunges at Xander and Buffy, knocking them and himself to the pavement. Xander quickly tries to grab the vampire as he gets up, but the demon grabs Xander instead and pulls him up. He draws his fist back for a punch, but Buffy jumps in and hits the vampire in the stomach with a powerful side kick, making him fall backwards into a pile of trashcans and bags.

Cordelia's voice comes over the walkie-talkie at Xander's belt, "Come in, Nighthawk! Everything okay?"

Buffy halts taken aback, "Nighthawk?"

The vampire is back on his feet and comes at them.

"Ooh!"

He tackles Xander and sends him reeling backwards into a chain link fence. Buffy tries to stake him, but he sidesteps her and shoves her into the fence as well. Xander tries to come up behind him, but the vampire swings out with a backhand fist to Xander's face, knocking him to the ground. Buffy gets to her feet and sweep blocks two punches from the demon. She high clocks his third punch and gets a hand under his chin to hold him at bay. He pushes her back into the fence as the two struggle for control.

Now Willow, Cordelia and Oz come running. The two girls grab the vampire by the arms and drag him off of Buffy and across the alley, slamming him hard into a steel roll-up door. Buffy catches her breath as she looks on in astonishment. The vampire growls at the girls as Oz tries to move in with a stake, but the vamp roundhouse kicks Oz, sending him to the pavement next to Xander. He then shoves Cordelia away, and Buffy quickly moves to catch her so she won't get hurt. The vampire then throws Willow aside, and she falls onto Xander and Oz.

Cordelia looks at the person holding her and recognizes the short blonde, "Oh, hey, Buffy."

Buffy pushes her aside and wields back her stake when she sees the vampire come after them. Cordelia loses her balance and falls to the pavement next to Willow. Buffy plunges her stake cleanly into the vampire, and he bursts into ashes. As the dust settles down, she looks over at her friends staring up at her from the ground. They are all breathing hard. Buffy gives them a little wave and a weak smile.

"Hey, guys."

They just keep staring back. Xander lets his head drop back to the pavement. As soon as Buffy goes to speak another vampire pops out from the dark shadows and grabs her. She fights against him but seeing as it shocked her, he has a tight grip on her arms keeping them tight by her side. Everyone yells out ready to leap up as his teeth graze Buffy's neck, until he jerks back and hisses in pain. Letting Buffy go, the vampire curses and steps back holding a hand to his chest. Buffy stares at the arrow in his hand as he falls to the ground in ashes.

"Welcome back. Home sweet home... right Buff?"

The group freezes on the ground waiting for the worst as they look between the two teen girls. Buffy smiles softly not noticing the tight grip Laney had on the crossbow in her hand. Buffy takes a step forward then halts as Laney holds up the crossbow with a serious face.

"Laney?"

Laney drops the cross bow to her side and smiles her eyes still hold a hard stare, "I'm totally fucking with you. You're lucky I was there huh?"

Buffy bites the inside of her cheek tilting her head in confusion, "I would've been fin-"

"What happened over the summer? You got sloppy..."

Buffy's mouth twitches in slight anger and embarrassment as she remembers how familiar this talk was.

"I-I had him."

Laney shrugs stepping forward, "Didn't look like it from where I was standing." Laney walks around Buffy in a circle almost like a predator and her prey.

Buffy opens her mouth to reply but nothing comes out. She opens and closes her mouth like a fish as she stands staring in frustration.

Laney stands face to face with her letting the cross bow hang by her side as she stood tall with her hands in her back pockets.

"Gives you a bit of Deja vu... doesn't it, Summers?"

The Scooby Gang's mouths all drop as they watch Laney chuckle shaking her head.

"This was fun but since little ole Slayer is back, all the demons and monsters are gonna come out to play. I'm sure you don't mind me slaying tonight instead."

And with that, Laney turns around and struts down the dark alleyway and out of sight.

Buffy looks over at the group and pouts as they all help one another get up to their feet.

"What happened to her?"

...

"She's back. I mean of course she's back. But why is she back? Why now? I was just getting used to life without her."

"Um Laney I'm not quite sure I am the right person to speak to about this topic."

Laney rolls her eyes as she sits in Giles' living room. She had walked from the Bronze to his apartment hoping he would help her in some way figure out her feelings. But like he said he wasn't the right person. He was Buffy's watcher. Her mentor. He was bias. He could see nothing wrong with her.

"Ugh it's just... I have no one to talk to now about this. I don't want to bother Colby and push him away by this. He could care less. He's a sophomore now in college. He's got so much on his plate already. And Cordy is basically in the middle. Her liking big head Xander, keeps her on their side."

"There is no sides, Laney."

"There is to me..."

Giles sighs and sits down beside Laney as she looks down at her hands.

"There is to me," Her voice cracks as she twists her ring on her finger, "I was the side of reason. Of evidence that everything would surely crash and burn. I was the brains. She was the disaster. She used action and rage rather than logic. And in return we lost Kendr-" A tear slides down her cheek.

"It's not fair Giles. She can leave and move on then come back and think everything is back to rainbows and unicorns. That everyone will be so forgiving. Why is everyone so forgiving? It makes me feel like a bad person. Like I'm broken or something. I'm allowed to feel hurt right? To feel betrayed. To feel... not heard?"

Giles looks up from wiping his glasses and frowns, "I'm sorry what?"

Laney's mouth drops in disbelief, "Giles! Have you been listening to anything I said?"

Giles cracks a smile, "I'm just jesting, I thought it would bring some life to you."

Laney makes a pft sound as she shakes her head. A second later a smile bursts on her face as she shakes her head.

"Seriously? How lame."

"I believe lame enough to bring out... ah there it is." Giles points to her.

Laney tilts her head confused, "What?"

"Your lovely smile."

Laney smiles once more pushing Giles' arm jokingly, "Alright you got me."

Giles pays her knee, "Laney you are free to feel whatever you feel. However you express yourself is your business. You are allowed to feel those things. You did lose two dear people who were close to you. And you're right, it isn't fair. But life isn't fair. Yet here you are living day by day with the same confidence and determination with each step you take. The same power you have possessed and grown in. It hurts now, it hurt before, but don't let it stop you from being Laney Rosenberg. The strongest person I know. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart."

Laney tears up as she looks at him smiling softly, "You're such a softie, Giles."

Just as Giles goes to speak, a loud knock sounds from his front door.

"Giles! It's us."

Laney stands up wiping the tears from her face as she quickly goes back into no emotion Laney.

"Why the hell are they showing up everywhere I do?"

"Language..."

"Whatever doc... I think I'm gonna head home."

"So early?" Giles looks at her in concern.

She nods and stands walking to the back window, "Yeah I'm getting sleepy. It's getting late and-"

"I understand, Laney. Just be careful."

"My middle name is carefu-"

Giles clears his throat giving her a look.

"I'm kidding. Okay I will." She smiles then rolls her eyes as she looks to the front door hearing another round of obnoxious knocking, "You might wanna answer that before they knock your door down."

Laney quickly exits the apartment through window. On the opposite side, the Scooby Gang all stand waiting for Giles to open the door.

Buffy grimaces as she looks around, "You know, I--maybe it's too late. Maybe we should just come back tomorrow."

No one makes a move to go. Buffy looks at the door, then back at the others.

"What if he's mad?"

Xander frowns confused, "Mad? Just because you ran away and abandoned your post and your friends and your mom and made him lay awake every night worrying about you?" Grimacing as he looks to Oz and Willow seeing their awkward stares, Xander chuckles nervously, "Maybe we should wait out here."

Buffy gives him a look. She turns around to face the door, reaches for the knocker just as Giles opens the door. His face remains expressionless for a long moment, as Buffy stands there flanked by the others.

Xander pats Giles' shoulder, "Check it out. The Watcher is back on the clock."

Giles slips on his glasses and moves to the side as they all walk past him into his home.

"And just when you were thinking career change, maybe becoming a... a looker or a... a seer." Xander jokes.

"Thank you, Xander." He looks at his Slayer, "Welcome home, Buffy."

Buffy smiles up at him. He pulls the door open further and steps back so they can all come in.

Oz, Willow, Buffy and Xander are all on he couch. Cordelia is sitting in a facing chair. Giles is leaning on the backrest of another chair.

"I got in a few hours ago, but I wanted to go see my mom first."

Giles nods, "Yes. Yes, of course. How, how did you find her?"

"Well, I pretty much remembered the address."

"Ah, eh, I mean, uh..."

The teakettle in his kitchen begins to whistle.

"How are things between you?" He notices the whistling, "Ah. Excuse me."

Giles goes into the kitchen as the group continues to talk amongst themselves.

"Hey, so you're not wanted for murder anymore." Oz smiles.

Buffy nods, "Good. That was such a drag."

Xander sits up interested, "So where were you? Did you go to Belgium?"

Buffy gives him an odd look, "Why would I go to Belgium?"

"I think the relevant question is why wouldn't you?" He smiles hugely and giggles, "Belgium!"

They both laugh.

In the kitchen, Giles gets the cups out of his cupboard. He smiles as he listens to the conversation in the living room, pleased that they are getting along so well again so quickly. Then he frowns thinking about one person who was missing. Laney. Would she forgive the group? Would they all be close once more? He wasn't really sure.

"What about you, Xander? What's up with you?"

"Oh, you know, same old, same old."

Giles removes his glasses and leans with his arm against the cupboard, enjoying the sound of his Slayer's voice again after so many months.

Cordelia rolls her eyes, "Hardly."

"Okay, I lied, a whole lot is new."

Buffy nods, "Well, that's good, isn't it? New is good."

Giles shakes himself out of his reverie and puts his glasses back on.

"Oh, yeah, absolutely, except for the obvious. It's not too much..." he replies inaudible.

"Yeah, 'cause you weren't at the hotel."

Giles lifts up the serving tray and takes it into the living room.

"Cordelia's parents dragged her onto a luxury vacation."

Buffy grimaces jokingly, "I feel for you."

Cordelia shrugs, "It wasn't that bad. I had Laney. And she was able to bring Colby. They had a great time."

Buffy opens her mouth to ask about Laney and why the harsh tude but Giles walks back into the living room as if perfectly timed.

"Here we are then." He sets the tray on the coffee table, "Cheer us up."

He sits down in his chair and takes the teapot. Buffy and Xander each take a cookie from the tray.

Cordelia sits back in her chair watching Buffy, "So were you, like, living in a box, or what?"

"Well, it's a long story."

Xander shrugs, "So skip the heartwarming stuff about kindly old people and saving the farm and get right to the dirt."

Giles pours several cups, "Perhaps Buffy could use a little time to adjust before we grill her on her summer activities."

Buffy smiles softly, "What he said."

"Fair enough. In fact, you can leave the slaying to us while you settle in. We got you covered."

"I noticed. You guys seem down with the slayage, all tricked out with your walkies and everything."

Cordelia gags, "Yeah, but the outfits suck. This whole Rambo thing is so over. I'm thinking more sporty, like Hilfiger maybe."

Willow nods, "Still, we were getting good. We dusted nine out of ten."

Oz whispers to Willow, "Three out of ten."

"Three out of ten." Willow grimaces, "You got one tonight. And the other six were Laney. She's been training super hard."

"Doesn't matter how many, we were kicking a little undead booty."

"Well, thank you for the offer, but I think I just wanna get back to my normal routine. You know, school, slaying... kid's stuff. In fact, I'm jonesing for a little brainless fun." She turns to Xander, "What are you doing tomorrow?"

"Oh, I would, but, uh," He reaches his hands around Cordelia's arm with a smile, "I'm kind of tied up."

"You wish." Cordelia scoffs pushing him away.

Xander sits back into the couch, embarrassed.

Buffy turns to Willow, "Will?"

"Um, tomorrow I--"

Buffy frowns, "Oh, come on. Friends don't let friends browse alone."

"O-okay," Willow stammers, "I had some schoolwork and uh... but I can change my plans."

She couldn't change her plans. Willow knew if she did, then she was in for a world of trouble. She had promised Laney that she would fix her computer that had a glitch on a system she used religiously. Well she promised Giles who told Laney she would. Laney had yet to talk to her and Xander directly. She was really honing in on the 'you're gonna miss me when I'm gone' approach. It was working.

But maybe she could change the time she would fix Laney's computer. She would do her homework, fix Laney's computer, then try to hurry and catch up with Buffy. She could do that.

Giles raises his cup, "As for school, Buffy, uh, you know you'll have to talk to Principal Snyder before--"

"On it. Mom is making an appointment with His Ugliness. I know she can break him."

Giles looks up from his tea and gives her an unsure little grin.

...

She didn't.

Joyce had tried her hardest to talk Prinicpal Synder into letting Buffy back into the school. But the little troll was just so mean and nasty that he wouldn't even try to give her another chance.

"Oh, uh, before I forget, uh, Willow just called." Joyce says nonchalantly as she looks around the kitchen for a knife to cut up some vegetables.

Buffy stands suddenly attentive, "Where was she?"

"Uh, she, she got held up, but she said she tried to call."

Buffy frowns confused, "Was there a message?"

She steps over to the fridge and gets out a pitcher.

"No. But I had a thought. What if I invited Willow and Mr. Giles and everybody over for dinner tomorrow night?" Joyce smiles, "Don't you think that would be nice?"

Buffy just opens the pitcher and pours herself a drink.

"Since I sort of already did, I was hoping for a yes."

Buffy looks up at her mom and gives her a little smile and a nod.

"It'll be fun."

As Joyce turns around Buffy loses her smile.

"Great. Uh, do me a favor? Run down and get the company plates."

"Mom, Willow and everybody aren't company-plate people. They're normal-plate people."

"We never have guests for dinner. Indulge your mother?"

Buffy just sighs and heads for the basement door. She walks down the steps and stands in the middle of the basement floor, turning on the light. Buffy grabs a stepstool and sets it down in front of an old bookcase full of stuff. She steps up on it and notices a picture on an upper shelf. She pulls it out into the light. It's a photo of her with Willow, Xander, and Laney. They were on a lawn, and she is sitting with Willow behind her, Xander laying his head on her legs with his eyes turned up at her, and Laney laying on her stomach legs crossed in the air cheesing with a big grin on her face. Buffy looks at it for a long moment, remembering the time it was taken. She then puts it back and looks up where the good china is. She reaches for the box and starts to pull it down, when a dead and rotting cat suddenly falls off of it.

"Oh!"

She jerks her head forward, and the cat falls behind her to the floor.

She looks down at it squeamishly.

"Eww."

Moments later, Buffy grunts as she shovels out a bunch of dirt among some bushes to make a shallow grave for the cat in her backyard.

"Next time, I get to pick the mother-daughter bonding activity."

Joyce lifts a bag with the cat over the hole and drops it in.

Later that night around 11:34, Buffy reaches over to the lamp on her nightstand and turns it off. She lies back in her bed and hugs the covers to herself. She looks around in the dark, lonely room and waits to fall asleep.

Joyce's is sound asleep in her bed across the hall. On the wall in her room, the Nigerian mask eyes begin to glow a deep red.

Outside in the backyard, the dirt covering the dead cat begins to move. A moment later the cat pokes its head through the soil, meows menacingly and claws its way out. Once out, it continues hissing and growling as it walks off.

...

Buffy stares into the refrigerator while she listens to her mother talking.

"I've been on the phone with the, uh, Superintendent of Schools. At least he seems more reasonable than that nasty little horrid, bigoted, rodent-man."

"Mom..."

"Anyway, um, I'm going in to speak with him this afternoon. Uh, as for private schools, uh, Miss Porter's accepts late admissions."

Buffy closes the fridge and turns to give her mom a look.

"I, uh, I wrote the information down for you."

"A girls' school?" Buffy goes to the island to read the slip of paper, "So now it's jackets, kilts, and no boys? Care to throw in a little foot-binding?"

Joyce sets down her coffee mug and steps over to her daughter, "Buffy, you made some bad choices. You just might have to live with some consequences."

Buffy looks down at the island, knowing that her mom is right.

"Nothing's settled yet." Joyce looks for something to do and spies the trash, "I just wish you didn't have to be so secretive about things. I mean, it's not your fault you have a special circumstance. They should make allowances for you."

Buffy watches her mom tie the trash bag and walk to the back door, "Mom, I'm a slayer. It's not like I need to ride a little bus to school."

"Couldn't you just tell a few people, like Principal Snyder... and maybe the police?"

Buffy looks at her like she's got to be kidding.

"I mean, I would think they would be happy to have a... a superhero."

Buffy can't believe her ears.

"Is that the right term? I mean, it's not offensive, is it?"

Joyce opens the door to take out the trash, and gasps in fright when she sees the dead cat run in. It stops and meows at them menacingly.

About thirty minutes later at the front door, Buffy opens it to admit Giles holding a cage.

"Welcome to the Hellmouth Petting Zoo."

She goes to close the door but it's blocked by a pointed black bootie. Looking up at the person, Buffy frowns seeing her own reflection in a pair of black sunglasses. She grimaces as the girl stands with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Well are you gonna let me in or what? We don't have all day."

"Laney... be nice."

Laney chuckles as Giles walks to the kitchen leaving the two girls alone. Buffy looks down at Laney's outfit and frowns feeling once again slightly intimidated. Laney wore baggy jeans with a black corset like crop top, a silver cross necklace, and her hair up in a claw clip. The girls style was unmatched.

"What are you doing here?"

Laney shrugs moving past Buffy, "Got a free period. I was researching some stuff with Giles already. Figured I'd help him catch a crazy kitty."

Footsteps sound from the kitchen as Giles enters the foyer with Joyce behind him. Joyce smiles seeing Laney.

"Hello Laney how are you?"

Laney smiles softly placing her shades on top of her head, "Hey Joyce. I'm good. How's the gardening going? Last time I saw you, a squirrel was messing with your wildflowers."

Joyce waves a hand nonchalantly, "Oh thank goodness he's long gone. The wildflowers are starting to bloom. I think they look exquisite."

"That's fantastic. I'll have to check them out later."

"Oh please do."

Buffy frowns looking between the two. Giles sees the face and gives her a stern look as if saying hush. Sighing Buffy nods then indicates up the stairs. She begins to climb the stairs while everyone follows behind.

They walk to Joyce's bedroom and find that the cat is hiding under the bed. Giles grabs it by the back of its neck and pulls it out.

"Well that was easy." Laney says standing in the doorway.

Giles frowns, "Oh, my God, what a stench!"

He takes the cat over to the cage, puts it in and closes the latch.

Buffy sighs, "You know, I wanted Forest Pine or April Fresh, but Mom wanted Dead Cat."

Joyce looks at the cat, grossed out by its appearance and smell.

"I'll, uh..." Giles steps back for a moment, overcome by the stench, "Ugh! I'll get it back to the library, see if we can determine its exact origins."

He lifts the cage and hands it to Laney who teases the hissing cat.

"Hi kitty kitty. Who's a pretty kitty?" Laney gags for a second then frowns, "A pretty stinky kitty."

As Giles goes to leave the room he turns to face Joyce. He notices the mask on the wall behind her.

"It's, uh... striking and... Nigerian."

Joyce smiles, "Oh. Yes. I-I-I have this wonderful dealer who specializes in ancient artifacts, I don't know if you--"

Buffy interrupts, "You know, I love art talk as much as the next very dull person, but we have work to do, Giles. Research mode." She heads for the door.

Laney rolls her eyes at how rude the girl was then does a double take at the mask on the wall. It was almost as if she saw the eyes glowing for a moment. Frowning she looks away from the mask and glances over at a mirror. She gasps lowly as she sees a zombie like person behind her. Quickly turning around, she calms down noticing there was no one behind her.

"How weird..." She mutters to herself not gaining the attention of anyone.

Giles watches as Buffy heads to the door then stammers out awkwardly, "Sh-sh-shouldn't you stay with your mother, perhaps, Buffy? I mean, you must have--"

Joyce shakes her head, "Please, no. I, it's fine. She can go with you."

Giles turns to Buffy grimacing trying to figure out how to break the news to Buffy, "A-actually, she can't. Um..."

Laney rolls her eyes. Couldn't he just spit it out.

"What Giles is trying and failing to say is that... Summers you're not allowed on school property."

"Oh." Buffy smiles ironically feeling a tad bit upset that the Scooby Gang meeting wouldn't be the same.

"I'm sorry. Um, uh... I'll, I'll call as, as soon as I know something."

He reaches for the doorknob. The cat growls and hisses.

"Later Joyce." Laney smiles as she follows Giles out the room without another glance at Buffy.

Joyce smiles, "What a sweet girl."

Buffy frowns, "Yeah..."

...

In the library, the caged cat is on the table as Oz inspects it closely, apparently not bothered by its stench. Willow is engrossed in research. Cordelia keeps her distance while Xander shares Oz's fascination, but from a bit further off. Laney files her nails sitting on the checkout desk looking around bored.

"It looks dead. It smells dead." Xander nods at Oz in agreement, "Yet it's movin' around. That's interesting."

Cordelia chuckles, "Nice pet, Giles. Don't you like anything regular? Golf, USA Today, or anything?" She sits opposite Willow to help research.

Giles comes down from the stacks, "I'm trying to find out how and why it rose from the grave. It's not as if I'm going to take it home and offer it a saucer of warm milk."

Oz grins, "Well, I like it. I think you should call it Patches."

Laney raises an eyebrow grossed out, "Ew... how about Dead meat. That's what it's going to be if I come over there."

"Well it's your fault for trying to pet an undead cat."

Laney glares at Cordelia playfully before looking at the small scratch on her hand, "Yeah well it better hope it has eight more lives if I get a hold of it."

Willow smiles to herself shaking her head, "Good one."

Laney purses her lips looking at Willow then shrugs and goes back to fuming her nails, "I know."

Willow frowns then smiles once more. Laney had actually answered. She actually replied to her. It was short but she said something. Maybe she would come around.

"Alright it seems as though we are no where near close to figuring this out." Giles huffs, "I need more time."

Willow shakes her head, "What about Buffy's welcome home dinner tonight? I had told her mom we'd help out. Bring stuff."

Cordelia nods, "I'm the dip."

Everyone looks at her. She doesn't notice and continues reading.

Xander chuckles, "Uh, you gotta admire the purity of it."

Cordelia looks up at everyone, "What? Onion dip. Stirring, not cooking. It's what I bring."

"I'm the chips."

Everyone looks at Laney in awe that she was even going.

"What? Cordy threatened me."

"Ah makes sense." Xander replies.

Oz leans back in his chair, "We should figure out what kinda deal this is. I mean, is it a-a gathering, a shindig or a hootenanny?"

Laney frowns jumping off the counter and walking over to sit beside Cordelia, "What the hell is a hootenanny, Oz?"

"Language..."

Cordelia ignores Giles and holds up a finger, "What's the difference?"

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig..." He nods to Cordelia then Laney, "Chips and dip. Now less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny."

Xander gags, "Well, I hate brie."

Cordelia nods, "I know. It smells like Giles's cat."

Laney bursts out laughing as Giles rolls his eyes making Cordelia laugh along as well.

"It's not my--"

Xander interrupts, "And what'll we talk about at a gathering anyway? 'So, Buffy, did you meet any nice pimps on your travels? And oh, by the by, thanks for ruining our lives for the past three months.'"

"Oh wow."

Willow frowns, "Xander..."

"You know what I mean. She doesn't want to talk about it, we don't want to talk about it, so why don't we just shut up and dance?"

"Well, Buffy said she did want to loosen up, you know, have some kid time." Willow turns to Oz, "Aren't you guys rehearsing tonight? Why don't you play at the party?"

Oz smiles nodding, "Yeah, I think I could supply some Dingo action. What do you think Laney?"

Laney shrugs, "If I'm being dragged into staying might as well sing a little."

Giles raises up a finger interrupting the group, "Uh, I-I'm not sure that, a, a, um... shindig..."

"Hootenanny." Oz corrects.

Laney groans dropping her hand on the table forcefully, "Can we please stop saying hootenanny?"

"H-hoote-" Giles clears his throat halting on his words as Laney raises an eyebrow at him, "That word i-i-is really depending on the time of the day. Uh, uh, it should... maybe something a little more intimate. I-I-I mean, Buffy has just got home. I'm, I'm sure she's still feeling a little disoriented."

Willow shakes her head, "All the more reason to make her feel welcome, a-and a big party says, 'Welcome, Buffy.'"

Xander slaps Giles on the back. Giles turns to give him a look.

"Okay, so one vote from the Old Guy for a Smelly Cheese Night, and how many votes for actual fun, huh?"

Everyone but Giles raises their hand and smiles. Giles glances at Laney wondering if she was going to answer. Cordelia looks to Laney and nudges her playfully. Laney rolls her eyes and raises her hand.

"Don't think we're all back to being buddy buddy. I mean smelly cheese and smelly cat? No thanks. Plus if I was given a choice before Cordy threatened me, I would only go for the free food and booze."

Giles rubs his temple, "There will be no booze. You are all underage."

Laney throws her head back falling sinking drop into her chair, "This day can't get any worse. First an undead cat, now a booze-less hootenanny?! Gosh darn it, now I'm saying it."

Giles sighs, "Alright, alright. Have it your way. I'm just glad to have her home."

The cat meows again. Giles continues to page through a book.

"Now things can get back to normal."

He flips a page, but looks over at the cat instead. On the page is a drawing of Joyce's mask. He flips another page before turning his attention back to it.

Laney scoffs, "Nothing is ever normal, Giles. I thought we were all used to this by now."

JUST FOR FUN
Laney's Outfit

Woohoo!! It's been a WHILEEE!!! Welcome back everyone!! I'm home for a couple of days so I'm actually already starting to work on the second update!! Life is hectic but I will always be back!!!

How are we feeling so far?

Do we enjoy emotionless badass Laney?

Future predictions?

Any special requests...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.1K 1.9K 28
My name is Katerina Giles, I am a good witch and demon expert. A perfect edition to the Scooby gang, but am I ready for what the gang holds? Am I rea...
39.9K 1.1K 34
This is some Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfiction! A lot of the story is just about Spike and Buffy being cute together. It takes place after Sunnydal...
3.4K 36 13
Yilfa Summers, older twin sister to Buffy Summers by exactly six minutes and 6.6 seconds, has a story to tell. When the Summers women are forced to l...
7.2K 251 13
*note, due to many requests, this book is created* The town of Sunnydale resides on the Hellmouth underneath the school, and though most people are...