Tonight Is The Night... Again

3rd Person's POV

3rd Person's POV

Buffy is getting ready for her date. Xander, Laney, and Willow are there. Willow holds up to outfits for Buffy to choose as Xander and Laney sit on her bed.

"Pick."

Buffy tilts her head, "Let's see. Do I want to appear shy, coy and naïve, or do I go unrestrained, insatiable and aggressive."

Xander stands up and walks over to her closet, "You know, Chambers is a little homespun. He probably doesn't like that overly-assertive look... Hey, here's something. A nice, comfy overcoat."

He pulls a drab, floor-length overcoat out of her closet. He reaches for something else.

"And this ski cap. The earflaps will bring out your eyes."

Laney scoffs then looks up from her nails, "Buff mix-n-match."

Buffy nods then turns to the boy in the room, "Xander, guy's opinion." She uncaps two lipsticks holding them up, "Which one do you think Chambers will like better?"

"Oh, you mean for kissing you and then telling all his
friends how easy you are so that the whole school
loses respect for you and talks behind your back?
The red's good."

"Thanks. I'll go with the peach."

Willow hands Buffy some clothes, "Put this on."

They stare at Xander a beat.

"You're not bothering me."

Willow turns Xander around as Buffy changes into her outfit. As Willow and Buffy talk, Xander tries to get a glimpse of Buffy's reflection in the doorknob.

Laney sighs, "So, where's he taking you?"

"I don't know. Where do you suppose the young kids are going on dates these days?"

Willow shrugs, "Well, I read somewhere that sometimes they go to movies."

"Movies... Interesting."

"And once on TV I saw a bunch of people our age at a party." Xander replies.

"Wow. I never knew being a teenager was so full of possibilities."

Suddenly the doorbell rings.

"That's Chambers!"

Buffy runs down the stairs and opens the door. The gang stands in the hallway behind her.

"That's Giles." Buffy says with a frown.

"Tonight is absolutely the night."

"I'm not home."

She starts to close the door. He stops her.

"The prophecy is happening. Look."

He flips open a newspaper. The headline reads: 'SEVEN DIE IN VAN ACCIDENT.'