Welcome To The Jungle

3rd Person's POV

3rd Person's POV

"Check this out-- Hyenas."

Buffy says as she holds up a book. On the page is an engraving of Noah casting two angry Hyena off his arm into a driving rain. Willow skims the text.

"Wow. Apparently, Noah rejected Hyenas from the Ark because he thought they were an evil, impure mixture of dogs and cats. Just another reason not to date out of species."

"I don't get it-- He obviously let cockroaches on board." Willow frowns.

They look at another engraving to see the two Hyena's cling to the top of a submerged tree, watching the Ark float away. They look mad as hell.

"So what happened? The Hyena survived anyway."

Buffy shakes her head, "Barely. But afterwards, they definitely had some issues with Noah..."

Giles enters, holding another ancient book.

"Perhaps I've discovered the way in which they intended to get even."

"How?"

Giles places the book on their table. He opens a page to show an engraving of an animal making eye contact with a human. Horrible squiggles connect their eyes.

"The Masai of the Serengeti Plain believe it is
possible for animals to possess the souls of humans in order to accomplish their various desires."

Buffy frowns, "Do you think Xander and Laney could've been possessed by... the Hyenas?"

Willow looks skeptical, "C'mon-- do you really believe this stuff about 'animal possessions'?"

"Perhaps Willow's right-- otherwise, I should think we would recognize our young friend's behavior in these..."

Giles suddenly looks horrified. Buffy and Willow lean in, to see what he sees.

The last engraving is hideous-- a group of possessed humans tear apart a small animal with their bare hands and mouths.

Buffy jumps up, "I gotta find them!"

They watch her as she bolts out the door.

The Pack prowls across the empty Courtyard. Their's are now the hunched, low movements of animals as they slink onward.

The pack turn to their hyena abilities. The only sound heard is the low thumping of a dozen heartbeats from somewhere inside the dark Woods.

Xander moves with them. Then he stops and sniffs their air. The rest of the Pack continues on. Laney stops and turns around to see Xander standing smelling the air.

"You coming?"

"I'll be there in a sec. Gotta deal with the slayer."

Laney pouts, "You like her more than me."