The Past Awakened (Distorted...

By SarahJessicahBethany

*Warning, topics of mental illness and trauma are brought up in this novel.* Living a calm life after years o... More

Chapter 1- A Handsome Stranger
Chapter 2- Paranoia
Chapter 3- Another Handsome Stranger
Chapter 4- Eyes
Chapter 5- Home Alone
Chapter 6- A little too much
Chapter 7- Hangover
Chapter 8- Nervous
Chapter 9- Three Friends
Chapter 10- Though someone else's eyes
Chapter 11- Too Close for Comfort
Chapter 12- A morning run
Chapter 13- Running through the past
Chapter 14- A Morning in someone else's Head
Chapter 15- Before things changed
Chapter 16- Crossed wires part 1
Chapter 17- Crossed wires part 2
Chapter 18- Informant
Chapter 19- Company for the Night
Chapter 20- Moving forward
Chapter 21- Getting ready
Chapter 22- Hurt, Jealousy, Anger
Chapter 23- Growing closer
Chapter 24- A Glimpse from Before
Chapter 25- Not a Date
Chapter 26- From Desperation to Nothing
Chapter 27- Ice cream
Chapter 28- Sorrows and bad habits
Chapter 29- Conflicted
Chapter 30- Is change even possible?
Chapter 31- A Mother's Love
Chapter 32- Apologies
Chapter 33- A Dream of the Past
Chapter 34- The morning after
Chapter 35- Apparitions
Chapter 36- Reasons
Chapter 37- Words exchanged
Chapter 38- Denial
Chapter 39- A Collection of Dreams
Chapter 40- Exchanged texts
Chapter 41- A new normal
Chapter 42- Friends
Chapter 43- Sunday
Chapter 44- A Forgotten Tradition
Chapter 45- deja vu
Chapter 46- Drowning
Chapter 47- His side of things
Chapter 48- Farewells and final goodbyes
Chapter 49- Games and Taunts
Chapter 50- Trouble breathing
Chapter 51- Please, not again.
Chapter 52- Failed to see the signs
Chapter 53- Comfort
Chapter 54- Peace
Chapter 55- A sweet evening turned sour
Chapter 56- Last job, I promise
Chapter 57- Reliving a Nightmare
Chapter 58- A nightmare turned sweet
Chapter 59- Maze
Chapter 61- A shift in routine
Chapter 62- Really?
Chapter 63- A Rainy Day
Chapter 64- Breaking Through
Chapter 65 - Walking Home
Chapter 66- Feelings
Chapter 67- A Normal Teen
Chapter 68- What was that?
Chapter 69- Too Familiar
Chapter 70- Lies and Confusion
Chapter 71- Keep it Together
Chapter 72- Did I do something wrong?
Chapter 73- Numb set in
Chapter 74- Overprotective
Chapter 75- What's my next move?
Epilogue - A new side of the conversation

Chapter 60- Confessions

2 1 0
By SarahJessicahBethany

With the rain pouring down just before me, the air clings with a cold mist. I close my eyes for a moment and breath it all in. Picturing the wet grass as I take note of its scent. This kind of weather has always been a comfort to me. The intense rain that's not needing caution. A couple clicks further into the red would trigger my anxiety, but settling just before, it's my perfect comfort zone instead. The sound always clears my head.

The water drops on my skin a craving with my bare feet longing to dance on the damp ground as wet grass or mud squishes between my toes. I try my best to hold back. Right now I enjoy my other favorite comfort, Kalston right beside me with the heat coming off his arm close enough to warm mine.

"This really was a good idea," I tell him as I take a sip from my still-hot coffee.

"I'm glad it's making you feel better."

He takes a pause before furthering his words.

"Hey, Love, what are you up to tomorrow?"

I turn my gaze to him, wondering what he might have in mind. A little sad that I have to postpone whatever it is, but still glad that I get to see Matt again. He's become a close friend now. Someone I've noticed I share things easier with that I haven't with anyone else.

"I'm hanging out with Matt, why?"

A look of disappointment washes over his face for a moment before he wipes it clean. He tries hard not to let his emotions show. I can't fault him for it, not when I do the same most times. It's a habit to most not to worry those they care about even if it is a bit of toxic behavior that affects yourself most.

"Nothing, I just was going to ask if you wanted to do something tomorrow, but it's fine. Maybe another day. You know, I get a bit jealous of the guy sometimes. I know you two are just friends, and I guess he could easily wish he was in my shoes since I get to see you every day, but I still hate that he's the one always getting to take you out."

Surprised that he's so open about it when I figured he'd shut down again about how he's truly feeling, I hate that I've made him feel this way. I'm so used to seeing it as a good thing that Kalston and I hang out at home, or at least one of our homes, that I didn't put much thought into how he might feel. Grant it at first I had good reason to not want to go out with him as I knew he'd tease me about it being a date, but now I don't feel the same.

"Okay."

Leaving my response simple, he looks at me confused.

"Okay, what?"

"Okay, you can take me out."

I smile, but can't keep my eyes on him any longer. Even without seeing his expression, I can feel the lightness of it and imagine his playful smirk.

"Really? So, I get to take you on a date?"

And he goes exactly where I thought he would. I try to hold back a chuckle. He always has a way of making me smile uncontrollably.

"Yeah."

I take another sip from my coffee as a silence settles for a moment. Kalston the one now thrown for a loop, I enjoy it while I can. I've been picking up on his behavior and enjoyed lately catching him off guard the way he does me.

"Wait, what?"

I pull my gaze back to him.

"Let's go on a date. Of course, it will have to wait for a couple of weeks, but yeah. I'd love for you to take me out. Though we might not know everything about each other, I think we know each other well enough to go on a date. I mean, it's not like we haven't really been doing so. I'm sorry for making you think I didn't want to go out with you still. I'm just more comfortable at home, so I didn't think much of it."

I try to be open with my response. It's something I've been trying to do more between the two of us, at least with things I'm certain of. I don't want to speak about things that still need to be processed, but I've been trying to be fair with everything else. This leads me to speaking aloud as well something I don't want to be simply assumed on either of our fronts.

"I like you Kalston. I always kind of did, but that's why I needed to be careful."

Something flickers in his eyes for a second. The warmth they've had more often, but it doesn't stay. The grin that came with it does though.

"Really?"

"Really."

We sit there in silence the rest of our time on the swing letting everything settle in until we decide to head in.

Once inside, I begin to realize how hungry I am and head to the fridge. Grabbing out some Chinese food from the night before. Picking out a piece of sesame chicken to munch on before grabbing out the other containers.

"Hey, do you want anything to eat?"

I turn to Kalston who's currently locking the sliding door.

"Yeah, sure."

He heads over to me before stopping.

"What are you doing?"

Confused, I finish the second piece of cold chicken in my mouth before responding.

"Uh, getting food out. I thought it was kind of obvious."

About to head for a third piece, he stops me.

"Madison, you heathen! Why the heck are you eating it cold, and who eats Chinese food for breakfast?"

I try hard to keep a smirk off my face as it's clear his seriousness isn't meant to be taken as so.

"Uh, the Chinese?"

He narrows his eyes at me as he is now the one trying not to smile.

"Okay, Ms. Smartalick. Just put it back and I'll make us something."

He grabs out eggs and other ingredients as I put back the leftovers. Once done with my end, I sit myself at the island and watch him.

"Do you need any help?"

"No, it's good, Love."

Bailey soon joining us in the kitchen, I stay silent and observe. One of my favorite habits.

She heads for the fridge to do exactly as I did. I keep quiet and grin as I wonder how this will turn out. Kalston might be able to deter me easily at times, only because I let him, let's make that clear, but Bailey, I don't think she will persuade so easily. Her stubborn layer is a bit higher set than mine. Though I might give in to situations that don't have many consequences to them to keep the peace, Bailey will straight up play hardball if only to prove you can't boss her around. It's one of her charms.

"Good morning, Bailey. I have..."

Kalston turning as he speaks to her, he stops before finishing. Bailey has an eggroll in her mouth and looks at him as confused as I was a moment ago. Silence, that's all there is for what feels like a minute, but probably realistically is only ten seconds or so. Bailey's the one to speak first, giving Kalston an annoyed look as she does.

"What?"

"Heathens, I live next door to heathens!"

Kalston throughs his hands in the air to add dramatic flair to his defeat.

Bailey isn't taking his joke as that as she straightens before popping off with what I call her level-one attitude. She has about five. I've never gotten five from her, but have seen it and don't recommend being in its range. Level one is more so, 'You better check yourself before I do it for you.'

"Uh, Excuse me?!"

"You and Madison both are over here eating cold food and all. Why not at least heat it up first?"

Now, level two. 'Who are you to tell me what to do?' With eyes narrowed and her tone firm.

"Why does it matter to you? If I like it cold, then I'll eat it cold. Mind your own space and I'll mind mine. Seriously, this is my house, my fridge, my food, what I decide to do is none of your business."

Kalston taking a breath, he realizes where he misstepped. I know he wasn't meaning ill intent and wasn't meaning his words to be taken seriously, Bailey even if knowing, doesn't have the level of care this early in the morning after such a late night. Bailey's a morning person, but only when having the rest she needs. Her filter takes longer to adjust with little sleep.

"I'm sorry, you're right. I wasn't trying to overstep. Now if you accept my apology, I would like to offer you an alternative. I had already planned to make you an omelet if you're up for it, is that okay?"

Bailey's demeanor stiff for only a second longer, she relaxes soon after.

"Now that's better. Yes, I would love one. Green onions, ham, cheese, and potatoes if you don't mind. Have you guys had coffee yet this morning?"

Looking back and forth between Kalston and me, she waits for one of us to respond. He does before me as I'm still in observer mode and it takes a moment to turn it off.

"Yeah we did, but I was about to make another pot for us all."

"It's good, you're cooking, I'll get it. Maddy's fine though if she's already had some. Hey, did you take your medicine this morning yet?"

She turns to me for a moment to see if I have. I give her a smile before getting down off the bar stool.

"I was about to, but thank you for reminding me."

Heading off to the bathroom, Bailey and Kalston talk amongst themselves.

Once in the bathroom, I close the door behind me. At the mirror, I open it to see the medicine cabinet that lays behind it and grab the bottle of red pills with my name on it. Taking one out before putting it back and shutting the cabinet closed. I stare at myself for a moment before looking down at the pill.

I take a breath before running the sink and dropping the pill in the toilet. I'd drop it down the drain if I wasn't afraid residue would be left behind in the catch somewhere. I know it's a paranoid thought that someone would check behind me, but sometimes my paranoia does me well in protecting myself. I logically know that there's nobody watching me, anyone counting my pills to make sure I've been taking them, or even someone that would take apart the sink just to see if I've been dropping them down it. I can't so easily shut the thoughts off that tell me to be careful, so sometimes it's easier to go along with them when no harm will come from them.

"Hey, Maddy? What do you want in your omelet?"

Bailey's voice comes from the other side of the door.

"Uh, the same as you is fine. I'll be out in a moment, I have to pee."

"Okay."

Not a lie, I'm thankful for my nervous bladder for times like this to where it might be suspicious that I would close the door for something that wouldn't normally require it. Bailey's used to my frequent restroom use at times. It's not long before I'm back with the other two and we enjoy more time spent together. The day quickly shifting into the next.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 6.4K 82
Even though I'm a mess and I still don't think I'm good enough for him, I want to date him. I haven't managed to scare him off with my panic attacks...
3 0 15
A life that before felt normal, the recent changes in Madison's life seem to be both giving her hope of a future she longed for, and one she's fearfu...
Altered By Luella M Opal

General Fiction

173 30 30
Have you ever met someone who alters the course of your life? For good or for bad, they've come in, given and taken, and then- BOOM! Your life was...
838 147 81
First Book of the Mind - Celesi Veil Trilogy A Remembrance of one's Life, or a Life of one's Remembrance, four girls from different corners of a fant...