Motivation of Memories: The S...

By NubianGoddess494

After the death of her grandmother Genevieve Elise Anne Bonsu is finally moving out of her parents home. Grow... More

Welcome (A/N)
New Beginnings
Nice 2 Meet U
Final Straw
What U Deserve
Impulse Decisions
Party at Paisley
Party at Paisley: Part 2
Wake Up
Greatest Showman
Music To My Ears
Its All Accidental
Bad News
Closure
Morning Bliss
Eruption
Full Disclosure
Dinner on Me
Dinner On Me: Part 2
Talking Through The Turbulence
Long Way Home
Comfort
Internal Conflict
Just U & Eye
Safe Distance
Cars & Conversations
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Eye Know
Dancing with the Devil (Roles Reversed)
Later That Night
Just the 2 of Us
Morning Introspectives
A Dark Day
U Should Go
Mind on U
Home Is Where the Heart Is
Home Is Where the Heart Is: Part 2
Resistance
Meet Me in the Middle
In A New Light
Phase One
Temptation
Getting Acquainted
Come Clean
Be-U-Tiful
Preparation
Beach Party with the Band
B Mine (Roles Reversed)
Eye Remember 2
Let Me Make It Up 2 U
Eye've Got an Itch 2 Scratch
Eve've Got an Itch 2 Scratch: Part 2
The French Mistake
Rehearsal Gone Wrong
Interpersonal Exploration (Roles Reversed)
Tonight We're Gonna Party
Tonight We're Gonna Party Part 2
Imposter
The Voices
Meeting Madonna
First Day
Visitation
Rest, Relax, Reveal.
Slipping
We Will See
Expect The Unexpected
Eye Promise
On the Road
On the Road: Part 2
Late Night Arrival
Sound Check
Show Up
Show Up Part 2
Show Up Part 3
Deceit
1 Month 2 Go
Rude Awakening
LA Bound
Hold It
New York New York
New York New York: Part 2
Fear and Sensitivity
4 U
Eye Am Her Keeper
Truth B Told
Dreams and Nightmares
Do My Eyes Decieve Me
Waiting Game
Home Sweet Home
Smoke and Mirrors
Old Friends New Feelings
Deep Sigh
Genny from the Block
Let Me Carry That
Runway
Holidays On The Road
Holidays On The Road: Part 2
Holidays on the Road: Part 3
Christmas at Paisley Park
Unspoken Feelings
Tell Me Something Good
Rest & Realizations
New Year's
New Years: Part 2
Valentine's Day (Roles Reversed)
Valentine's Day: Part 2 (Roles Reversed)
Wake Up Call
Eye'll Tell U
Show Me Who U R
Disappearance
Pleasant Realities
Sweetest Dreams

Family Ties

69 7 4
By NubianGoddess494

Genevieve's POV

After the plane ride, I hail a cab and make my way across the city. I stop a few streets shy of the restaurant when I see a familiar hotdog cart. I pay my driver and quickly grab all of my things before running across the street.

"Paulie! Let me get polish with onions, peppers, and extra mustard!"

"Ahhh, Genevieve. Glad to see you back in the city, kid. One polish your way coming up!" I watch as he prepares my food, the familiar smells filling my nostrils and welcoming me home. "So what's this I hear about you being some type of celebrity?"

"I'm not famous yet but, I did work on a movie and I joined a band."

"No shit! Well you keep doing what you're doing and don't forget about me when you make it."

"How could I forget the best sausage vendor in all of New York?" He hands me my sausage and a few napkins and I reach into my purse to pay.

"This one's on the house. Consider it a welcome home present."

"Thanks, Paulie." I smile walking away with a mouthful of sausage.

"Anytime, kid!" I make the walk to the restaurant and quickly feel myself getting tired. It may be fall but this city holds heat and I haven't had to walk this fast in months. I cross the street and smile as the maroon awning comes into view.

I peek inside the windows. The chairs are flipped on the tables and the kitchen light is out. Everyone must be upstairs. I walk around the corner over to the side door, take out my keys, and make quick work of the door. I carry my bags up the stairs and sigh once I reach the door to our home. I insert my key and turn the knob not sure what to expect. Quietly, I drag my luggage into the living room and turn around. Tears fill my eyes as I see my Baba sitting on the couch.

"There's my Ellie Bean." I walk over to him and take a seat beside him. He hugs me close, kissing my forehead.

"How are you, Baba?"

"I'm alright, my dear. No pain. How's my girl? How's the movie?"

"I'm alright, Baba and the movie was great! We wrapped up filming earlier this week."

"And the band?"

"Prince is giving us all a break before we start rehearsing for the tour."

"Tour? You mean you're gonna travel the country and dance on stage?"

"Yes."

"Will we get to see you?"

"I hear we're performing in Syracuse but I will let you know. I'll send you and Ma tickets to the nearest show to here."

"I always knew you'd be a star." He smiles. "What about that boyfriend of yours?"

"I broke up with Tyson a long time ago, Baba. Didn't I tell you?"

"Oh right. We've moved on to someone new. The leader of the band, what's his name again?"

"Prince." I smile.

"Is that really his name?"

"Yes, Baba."

"Wasn't he married?"

"They're getting divorced. She's a very mean woman and she's done some very cruel things to him. I told him when his divorce is finalized he can take me on a proper date." I smile actively choosing not to mention that we've shared a bed and kiss sometimes.

"Well tell me about him. What's he like?"

"He's not as shy as he is on tv. He's loud and fun but also just very reserved. He's been a great friend to me. He was there when I found out my apartment got broken into and has given me a place to stay and to work when I need it. He... takes care of me." He puts his hand on mine and smiles.

"It's sounds like he makes you really happy."

"He does, Baba. I just hope you all like him too."

"As long as he treats my daughter right, I'll love him like my own. It's your mother he'll have to convince."

"Gen Gen!!!!" Jack Jack screams as she enters the house. She runs to me jumping into my lap. Her tiny arms wrap around my neck and I hold her writhing body in my arms. My twin brothers are next to enter.

"Hey, you're back!" Tyler smiles.

"I told you I would be." I give each of them a high five and they walk passed us to their room. My mother enters last and walks around the house without noticing me.

"Florence, look who is here! Our baby girl has come home." I put Jack Jack down and walk over to my mother. She drops her bags and looks up and the light returns to her face.

"Genevieve, my star. Come here!" She pulls me into a hug and pulls away to examine me. "Hollywood has made you skinny! Let me make you sometimh."

"It's okay, Ma. I grabbed a sausage from Paulie before I came."

"Okay. Well I just went to de market. What do you want for dinner?"

"Your chicken and pelau."

"Your favorite." She smiles. "Go unpack and come back to help me cook." I walk over to where I left my luggage and see it isn't there.

"Jackson took it for you." Baba calls answering my question for me. I walk down the narrow hallway passed my parents room and into my old room. I look over the room and see it's just how I left it except for Jacklyn's bed. Jack Jack has always shared a room with me even when she was a baby. We had the second biggest room to accommodate our two beds but when I left I told her she could sleep in mine. I crawl into the creaky bed and lay in my back looking up at all my old photos and posters.

It feels good to be home.

I unpack my things and place them in the empty drawers they keep for me. I smile seeing one of Prince's shirts in my bag. I hold it close and his scent wafts off the fabric. I tuck it into the drawer and finish my unpacking. I tuck my toothbrush into the bathroom and walk back to the kitchen.

"Let me make a phone call and then I'll be ready." My mother nods and I make my way to the phone on the wall. I dial a familiar number and wait fir a familiar voice.

"Hello?"

"Hello?"

"Hey, Genevieve. I take it you made it back okay?"

"Yes, the plane ride was good."

"I'm glad. Did you see my surprise?"

"Yes, thank you for the shirt and the plane ticket."

"Don't mention it. Well I'm sure you've got plenty of catching up to do. I'll talk to you soon."

"Talk to you soon. Bye."

"Bye." I smile to myself as I hang up the phone. I walk into the kitchen a wash my hands while I wait for instructions from my mom.

"Chop me vegetables. While I start the chicken." I nod and make my way to my station. I watch as she pulls the large chicken thighs out of the refrigerator along with several vegetables and begins to season them. She hands me the vegetables and I pull a knife from the knife block. I rinse each vegetable and begin chopping humming softly to pass the time.

"So who was dat on de phone?"

"Prince, he's the leader of the band, remember?" She sucks her teeth.

"I don know bout him. I saw that album wid his naked body and the other one when he had on a woman's bathing suit."

"He doesn't dress like that anymore. He's actually a very good man. He bought my ticket home."

"I heard he throws sex parties and cheats on his wife! What kind of man is that?"

"That's not true, Ma. Who told you that?"

"I read it in a magazine." Is uck my teeth.

"You can't believe those people. They lie to make a living. Those same people tried to say I'm not a citizen and that my body is fake."

"Fake? Ha! Dese Americans and dere plastic surgery. Dey wish surgery could make them look like you!" I make quick work of the vegetables and toss them into the pot where she's making the pelau. She waves her hand to dismiss me from the kitchen and I walk over to the couch. Baba oats the seat beside him and puts an arm around me.

"Don't worry, Ellie Bean. I'll work on her." He whispers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 15 18
They had it all yet they had nothing Megan Kingston and her sister sage's lives are turned around by just a tiny little change, and have to part way...
12.1K 1K 77
The continuation of the love story of Prince and Gigi Nelson. Follow them through this, the final journey of their lives and their unconditional lov...
250 14 6
A mother and her children were relocated to Minneapolis, Minnesota do to the California's wildfires. No more room at the seventh street women and chi...
74.4K 2.7K 42
β€βž· β‹†Λšβ‚Š [✳] ˚* Β· Β° β—Œ ❝may the king rest in power.❞ π–Žπ–“ π–œπ–π–Žπ–ˆπ–, two exes are reunited and fall in love all over again while saving their country.