CSI:New York : Who Are You? (...

By DebraJay

Olivia Cordukes had been living in a fragile state for years. Her life torn apart at an early age she has nev... More

Part 1 : C O N N E C T I O N
The Standoff
Realisation
The Evaluation
Another Day, Another Crime
At The Other Side Of Town There's Another Crime Going Down
Just Playing The Game
Blind-Sided At The Blind Tiger
Rooms On Fire
Cold Light Of Day
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Something Fishy This Way Comes
Judgement Day
Late Lunch At The Empire Diner
Jimmy Edwards
The Arrest
- - IMPORTANT: Author's Note - -
Part 2 : T O U C H
Reading The Fine Print
Face...Off?
Sweet Basil
Live By The Sword...
House of Flying Pigs
Touch and Go
Tachi Saya & Thai Food
Burn
Crash Landing
Another Level
Crossing Swords
...Die By The Sword
Remembering Yesterday
The Edge Of Sanity
Reaching Out
- - IMPORTANT: Author's Note - -
Part 3 : C H E M I S T R Y
Come To Be
Heart Of Glass
We All Fall Down
Piece By Piece
Mess Around
Rockefeller
This Thing Between Us
What A Tangled Web We Weave
Unquiet Spirit
Causality
Hearts...
...and Flowers
Reconstruction for Dummies
Mikey McCarthy
Professional People
The Ties That Bind
First One's On Me
Sex-Files
Montana
Tangled
Part 4 : F R A G I L E
The House No Longer A Home
The Lion's Den
Innocence
Already Seen
Hush
Chaos Reigns
Cruel Twist Of Fate
Thinking Outside The Box
Traffic
Gracie
What More Is There?
Crossed Wires
Stuck On You
Run With It
Saving Gracie
IMPORTANT: Author's Note

Game On

819 15 15
By DebraJay

'You coming along tonight, Lindsay?' Hawkes asked her as they processed evidence for a case they had just been assigned. As if the bike messenger case hadn't been tough enough, Mac had given them an even tougher assignment: the mindless murder of a nightclub DJ who - they had since discovered - had a list of enemies a mile long. Too long to narrow it down. All they had on this was that a tool of his very own trade had murdered the DJ; his throat had been cut with a 12" vinyl record.

Lindsay had concluded that being assigned this particular case had something to do with Hawkes still being relatively new out in the field and having to prove himself further; Hawkes preferred to think of it as their boss laying on a test and one they were expected to pass with flying colors. Not looking up from the fingerprint she was staring hard at through the microscope, she said, 'What's happening?'

'Drinks at Sullivan's,' Hawkes reminded her.

'Oh yeah, Olivia mentioned something earlier. Are you going?'

'Only if you show up wearing a cheerleader outfit complete with pompoms.' Danny had just walked into the lab and threw a grin in Hawkes direction, waiting until Lindsay straightened to give him that look she was so fond of when she was outraged at something he said. She didn't let him down.

'How many times, keep me out of your schoolboy fantasies,' she warned, eyeing him.

Danny chuckled. 'That's twice today I've been told that.'

'Maybe someone's trying to tell you something,' Hawkes told him with a smile. 'Who was the other?'

'Duke.'

'Olivia? Ooh, I thought you weren't going there?' Hawkes asked still smiling.

'I'm not, but y'know, a girl's hot, a guy's curious. What you gonna do?' shrugged Danny.

Hawkes shook his head. 'Unbelievable.'

'Loathsome is the word I'd use,' Lindsay corrected.

Danny only grinned at her. 'Getting jealous over there, Montana?'

She clucked her tongue signalling her displeasure. 'Heard you'd closed your case, so don't you have some reports you should be getting on with?'

He wiped his hands together and replied smugly, 'Done. Already posted in Mac's inbox.'

'Well...then if you don't mind, we're a little busy in here - '

'Ah, loosen up, Montana,' he said leaning against her workstation, folding his arms over his chest. 'I've seen the way you look at me.'

Even though her heart jumped into her throat at the mere sight of the way he leaned, she managed to say in her best icy tone, 'Oh, you mean like you just crawled from beneath a rock, kind of look?' and made Hawkes chuckle from the other side of the room. 'Because you'll be slurping on Sno-Kones in hell before you get anything else from me.'

'You getting this?' Danny said turning to Hawkes. 'You feel that, how cold it just got in here?'

'There's an old saying, I think it goes something like: Give up while you're ahead,' he offered with a shrug.

'Too far in the game, man.'

Lindsay looked at Danny and blinked. Okay...what? Had he just said that? And what the heck did he mean anyway? 'Excuse me?' she said, although her heart was no longer jumping, more like frantically leaping. 'There is no game. And what's that supposed to mean anyway?'

Danny only grinned at her and Lindsay decided then and there that the guy should be made illegal. 'You think you're the only one playing it for all it's worth, Montana?'

A small gasp escaped Lindsay. 'I'm not playing anything. Least of all with an arrogant, obnoxious, overly-confident - '

'Oh, just keep hurtin' me, doll,' Danny said, then tossing her a wink he turned and walked out of the lab.

Lindsay watched him go. Feeling both infuriated and somewhat...excited. Damn him. She had never given Danny Messer any inclination to think that she was interested in him, that wasn't Lindsay's style. She was reminded of a conversation she'd had with Olivia not so long back when she'd told Olivia she was no good at the "batting your eyelashes and keeping him dangling" thing.

She knew Olivia hadn't said anything to him, they may not know one another that well, but there was a mutual trust between the two women. And she hadn't done either of those things - batting or dangling - so why had he come out with that ridiculous comment? Too far in the game. Was it his usual annoying way of telling her he liked her? Or was he just being Danny Messer? Flirtatious, overly confident, cocky...Lindsay sighed. She had absolutely no idea and why did she care so much anyway? She wasn't very good when it came to reading men. In fact she was downright hopeless when it came to men. Which was why when she'd come to New York to start a new life she had sworn off them completely. But she hadn't planned on meeting Danny Messer. The man was infuriating beyond all belief and yet, she had never encountered a man who could stir her up - in more ways than one - the way he did.

She groaned. She needed to speak with Olivia again. Now there was a girl who knew the talk and walked the walk. She'd know what to say to wipe that smug grin off Messer's face while still maintaining his interest. And maybe she could give Lindsay an idea what the comment even meant.

Yeah, she'd talk to Olivia...maybe later at, say, Sullivan's perhaps...

Lindsay smiled to herself and carried on with her work. Because she had to go. Oh...did she ever. The game, as it were, had just taken a rather interesting turn.

*

'Would you look at that? The guy can't even go to the bar without being accosted by adoring females,' Lindsey said in disgust. She gave her head a shake to further signal her displeasure.

It was almost nine pm and as planned they were at Sullivan's. Hawkes was making work talk with Adam, Flack had excused himself to take a call on his cell phone, Chad and a couple of the other interns were embroiled in a raucous game of pool and as it was Danny's round, he was at the end of the bar. Watching Danny at play could be considered voyeurism, but in actual fact it was more like entertainment. In the space of the thirty seconds he'd been stood there, three women had already made a beeline in his direction. Like bees to a honey pot, they each clamoured for his attention, enraptured when he turned on that cocky grin.

'Y'know, most of us wish we were him,' came a sudden voice. Marty Pino, one of the lab's part-time ME's. Not for much longer though. He was soon leaving to work in Miami. A lot of the girls at the lab were sad about that. Marty was gorgeous. Cute, adorable smile, gentle voice, boy-next-door looks, in general a nice guy. But like Danny, he had a bit of a reputation for liking the ladies some.

Olivia smiled at the handsome Doctor. 'From what I've heard about you, Pino, you're just as bad.'

Marty grinned. 'I resent that. The guy's a first grade player if ever there was one.'

'And you're not?' chipped in Lindsey.

'I get play, doesn't make me a player,' Marty amended.

'Don't hate the player, hate the game,' Olivia coded and then gestured at him. 'Pull up a chair, Marty. We could use a guy's insight into the workings of the average alpha male's brain.'

'Assuming the average alpha male actually has a brain,' Lindsay said, making Marty chuckle as he sat down.

'He has a brain, he just doesn't always put it to good use.'

'That's because he tends to think with what resides in his pants,' said Olivia.

'Oh, man,' Marty chuckled, 'remind me again why I came over?'

Olivia picked up her beer. 'Because you couldn't resist the lure of our feminine charms, Marty. Admit it.'

'I don't get it,' Lindsay shook her head.

'Our feminine charms?' wondered Olivia.

'No. That.' She pointed over to the group of women hanging around Danny. 'They have to know he won't even remember their names by tomorrow and if one of them does go home with him, he certainly won't call.'

Marty followed Lindsay's firmly fixed gaze. 'Isn't that part of the draw? Each vying for his undivided attention, hoping they'll be one to win the Messer lottery,' he said, leaning back in the chair and observing Danny at play.

'It's pathetic. They're reducing themselves to sex objects,' Lindsey said shaking her head.

'Isn't he every woman's dream wrapped up in a well worked on package?' Marty asked. Olivia merely snorted into her beer while Lindsay just rolled her eyes. 'How much longer are you going to be able to resist the lure of the Messer radar?'

'Oh, please,' Lindsay snorted. 'I'm not about to reduce myself to a giggling, quivering girl just because he turns on the charm.'

Marty leaned in to Olivia. 'Am I picking up on something? An unrequited crush, perhaps?'

'Crush is one way of putting it.'

'Ah, so she just wants to get some.'

'I heard that,' Lindsey said, dragging her gaze away from Danny.

'Yet she isn't denying it,' Marty said.

'Believe me, this is good,' Olivia told him, 'because up until last week she was heavily indulging her denial.'

'I am here, you know,' Lindsey huffed.

'But wouldn't you much rather be over there?' Marty teased, nodding towards Danny and the now giggling group.

Lindsey scowled at him and pulled a face at the women. What was with the giggling? It was so high school. And what was he saying that was so damn funny anyway? She finished off her small beer and looked at Marty and Olivia who were both smiling at her, waiting for a reply. She didn't give one.

Olivia sighed. 'She's a tough nut to crack, Marty,' she told him, taking a drink of her own beer.

'I've cracked tougher.'

'See,' Olivia nudged Lindsay, 'we need this guy's insight. So slap it on us, Zen Pino. I'm getting nowhere with her, I've already tried explaining the whole diverting his attention thing. What's your spin on it?'

'I think your spin's working,' Marty said. 'The player is being played.'

'I'm hearing that a lot,' Lindsay said managing to look confused.

Olivia glanced towards the bar and saw Danny looking over at Lindsay. Just as she was about to turn back to Marty, his gaze flicked ever so slightly to the good-looking young Doctor before returning his attention back to the women fawning all over him. She grinned. 'Trade seats, Pino?'

'Glad we're on the same page,' Marty said, shuffling over so she could slide into his chair.

'Is this a new game? Are the rules the same? What are the two of you doing?' Lindsay wanted to know as they swapped seats and Marty dropped his arm lightly over the back of her chair. She didn't even notice the gesture.

'You have much to learn, Lindsay,' Olivia said settling herself into the chair Marty had vacated. 'Danny is no longer paying the kittens as much attention now, because he's giving it all to you.'

'And me,' Marty whispered in her ear.

Lindsay jerked back and frowned at Marty. 'What are you doing?'

'Flirting,' he smiled. 'Isn't that rather the whole point?'

Lindsay stole a glance at the bar in time to see Danny quickly turn his head. Had he been watching her? Then she realised Marty was getting closer. 'Okay, what are you doing now?'

'See how his attention has been diverted?'

As ridiculous as it seemed, from where she was sitting Lindsay could see that Danny was actually craning his neck to see around the many people milling at the bar so he could see what was happening at their table. She couldn't resist a small smile. Or stop the tiny flutter in her stomach.

'Oh boy, Pino,' Olivia chuckled, 'less than sixty seconds, you're good.'

Marty flashed her his most becoming smile. 'I really am.'

'Okay, so while we're all agreed that this whole flirting thing is, I'm surprised to say, actually working, I am somewhat concerned over how far we have to go to prove our point,' Lindsay said.

Marty chuckled. 'Don't worry. It won't get that far. And also, a little offended.'

'I could think of worse people to go home with,' Olivia said with a shrug.

'Well, y'know, once my work here is done and if Flack doesn't come back any time soon...'

Olivia laughed. 'As enticing as that sounds, you know you can't play me, Pino.'

'A guy can try,' he grinned.

'Hey, I'm the novice here. You're supposed to be flirting with me,' Lindsay said.

'Incoming,' Olivia said, watching Danny cut his way through the people and over to the table. 'Game on, Marty.'

'I can't believe I'm actually doing this,' Lindsay said in disbelief. 'It's so - '

'Juvenile,' finished Olivia.

'Exactly,' Lindsay nodded.

'But fun too, right?' Olivia grinned.

Lindsay rolled her eyes and said to Marty, 'No funny business,' she warned him. 'Your hands stay exactly where I can see them.'

'I'll only bring them into play if the situation calls for it,' he promised.

She didn't get a chance to reply as Danny arrived, dropping the tray of beers down on the table he gave Marty a nod. 'Pino, you working that boyish charm on these beautiful ladies?'

'Actually,' Marty said moving the hand draped over Lindsay's chair ever so slightly so that it grazed her shoulder, 'these beautiful ladies are working their charms on me.'

'Tell it like it is, Pino,' Olivia said. 'Glad to see you made it out of Sweater Kitten's R Us in one piece, Mess.'

He grinned at her and dropped down into the chair opposite Lindsay, his leg brushing against hers. If he noticed he didn't let on. He certainly wasn't to know that the slight touch had Lindsay's stomach fluttering. He picked up his beer and took a drink, his gaze ticking ever so slightly to Marty's hand on Lindsay's shoulder. He was curious what it was doing there, but even more so that it was still there. If he tried something like that with Montana she'd snap it clean off.

Marty, of course, was onto him. Which was why he moved his hand further around Lindsay's shoulder and when he felt her stiffen slightly, he gave her a gentle squeeze, reminding her it was all part of the game.

'Working it as always, Messer?' he said.

Danny shrugged. 'Just talkin'.' He glanced at Lindsay and found she was watching him with a quiet amusement. It made him wonder. 'One's an ex-cheerleader,' he said, prompting her to recall their conversation back at the lab.

'Exactly your type,' she replied, still smiling. 'Will she be shaking her pom-poms for you later?'

'Maybe. Don't worry about it.'

'I'm not,' Lindsay replied.

Both Marty and Olivia smiled. She was learning fast.

'So when did you two get so cosy?' Danny asked, looking across the table at Marty.

'We've been cosy for a while,' replied Marty. 'Isn't that right, Linds?'

'That's right,' she smiled.

'Yeah, Linds has been telling me all about Montana,' Marty said, giving her shoulder another squeeze. 'The space, the rolling hills, the riding. Horses, that is,' he added with a quick grin.

Olivia was trying desperately not to laugh. But hell, if Marty wasn't playing it for all it was worth.

'And that little tale about your Uncle Bob, Linds...Oh brother...' He began to chuckle.

Danny shifted in his seat. What was with the Linds thing? When had they got so chummy that he got to call her a pet name? And as for they way the two of them were all cosied up and smiling...and who was Uncle Bob when he was at home? It seemed that Marty knew quite a bit about Lindsay. Which made Danny wonder how many times they'd gotten together and then he wondered why it would even matter to him. He liked Lindsay, probably always had, regardless of the merciless teasing he insisted on inflicting upon her, but it just occurred to him that maybe he liked her a little more than he initially thought.

Which would explain why he didn't like Marty's hand creeping around her shoulder the way it was. Or maybe it was because "Linds" didn't seem to mind.

'How come you never told me about Uncle Bob?' he said to her.

Lindsay gave him a coy smile. 'You never asked.'

Flack came back just then, shaking his head and looking seriously ticked off. So much for enjoying a couple hours down time. One of the cases he was working had just taken an unfortunate turn and he was needed back at PD.

'Hey,' Olivia said as he neared the table, 'I was beginning to think you'd ditched me.'

'I gotta split,' he sighed.

'Work?'

'Isn't it always?'

Olivia nodded. 'Don't worry about it. We can do this another time.'

A smile slowly spread out over Flack's face. 'Y'know, you are way too understanding a girl - ' He immediately stopped himself from completing the sentence. He had been about to say girlfriend only she wasn't. She was a girl and a friend, and they were sleeping together, so technically the two words should fit; only they didn't.

Olivia understood and smiled up at him. 'Who understands the job better than another law enforcer?' She got up out of her chair. 'I'll walk you out.'

After saying goodbye to the others, Flack took her hand as they cut through the ever increasing crowd inside Sullivan's and when they finally made it to the exit, he pushed open the door and they stepped out into the cool, night air.

'C'mere,' he said, pulling her into his arms. 'I doubt I'll get back tonight.' He kissed the top of her head and drew back to look at her. 'I'll call you tomorrow. When you get home.'

He knew she was flying to Boston the next day, but he didn't know the reason. She had told him it was 'something she had to do' and he had accepted it. What Olivia didn't know was that part of Flack was wondering if the trip had something to do with this other guy he thought she was involved with. He hadn't said anything to her though. He wasn't about to apply any pressure, the memory of the previous night was still fresh in his mind. He just hoped that whatever the trip was about, whomever it was about, in the end she'd make a decision. And that she'd decide to be with him.

He kissed her, told her to have a safe journey and she waited while he got into his car. Before he drove away he lifted his hand in a wave and gave her a wink. She stood there for a moment watching until his car was out of sight. She'd wanted to tell him the reason why she was going to Boston. She had been thinking about it all day.

She had actually wanted to tell him.

The realization of that had the thoughts rush through her head at a hundred miles an hour. She was getting too involved. She knew that. Crazy thing was, she didn't know how to stop it. Or even if she wanted to.

She went back into the bar and sat down with the others once more. Lindsay and Marty were still embroiled in their fake flirtation and Danny had the same perplexed look on his face, wondering what the heck was going on between his fellow CSI and the charming Dr. Pino.

But Olivia was no longer paying attention to what was going on around the table. Her thoughts were still with a certain Homicide detective and a flight she wished she didn't have to make.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2006

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.1K 366 121
A traumatised Nikki seeks comfort in Jack, but their actions lead to life long complications.
73.4K 1.5K 76
Detective Don Flack knows a thing or two about self preservation but when it comes to Grace Sullivan, Don doesn't know when enough is enough...
88.9K 6K 85
✨COMPLETED✨ I took a few steps before I stopped to face him again. "Jay?" I said, barely above a whisper. "Hmm?" "I love you. You know that right?" I...
1.4K 7 34
Sequel to NOLA Rising. After being rescued from a hurricane in the Big Easy, Augusta Broussard is given a new start in the Big Apple. She finds a new...