40 | a newfound lighthouse

Start from the beginning

"It was me who summoned you, child. Avgustine is in a meeting with your father right now." His voice was grave, lacking the nonchalance it usually had.

"Is something wrong?"

"Ask me if anything is right at this point of time," he said wistfully. "I have something to ask of you. I know it isn't fair to dump this upon you but, I could not think of someone better. I can imagine how unhappy you are, betrothed to my son against your will."

Lysandra's eyes widened into saucers. She did not know how he knew of the fact that she did not like his son. She was a fool to think her act was convincing. She gulped in uncertainty. "I am sorry, I can't be the wife your son needs, I am just a teenager who knows nothing of royalty and well, Avgustine is in his early twenties and he is ruling Russia. I can only imagine how intellectual he is."

The words left a bitter taste in her mouth but they were true. His father doubting her was the last thing she needed on her plate then. Besides, she did not know how to convince him or assuring him she would not protest her parents' decision for the time being. She could not let all of their efforts go in vain.

"Your marriage to my son is the least of my concerns, darling. I am talking about the huge plan your father is making."

That caught Lysandra's attention and the bolts in her head started twisting and turning. "What do you mean?"

"Why don't we sit down, this will take a while."

After ten minutes of silence and downing two cups of steaming tea, Lysandra finally prodded the Russian King. "What is it that you want from me, King Georgiy?"

"Nik, please. Call me Nik. It is very complex you see and I can't help but feel ashamed of myself for what I'm doing. However, it has to be done."

"You're scaring me," Lysandra murmured.

"I do not agree with my son who is on a mission to conquer the world and rule it together with King Eucarpus. It will be the genesis of all misery if you ask me. And Avgustine isn't the type who listens to me."

Lysandra's lip curled. Uncertainty spread through her body and she did not know if she could trust the old man. "Go on. What can I do in this scenario? If you are thinking about asking me to convince your son, then I must say I'm incapable of doing so."

"No, my son needn't know of our little chat at all. I just need you to do something to stop your parents. We can do something together," he stated grimly. His mouth turned downwards and his eyes reflected the worry he felt for his son. "His stubborness will get him killed and my loyalty will get me killed. He won't give up on his belief so I thought it best to sacrifice mine."

"It's complicated." Lysandra let out a breath. "I am not sure how I can help you, Nik."

She was not an idiot to tell him about their plan but, she wasn't about to let an ally go by. She wanted to know what his intentions were very clearly. He sounded genuine but she did not know what to say him to, especially without consulting her cousin.

"I know its complicated," he grunted, taking a sip of his tea before continuing, "but see, I am willing to let you in on your father's plan. I don't reckon you'd agree with him even if you knew by now and that is the reason I have sought it best to consult you."

"You're willing to make a trade without any leverage?" She knew for a fact that nobody would do things if they did not benefit through it, be it small or big. It was human psychology. She knew very well 

"Lives are at stake, child. I have my own reasons to consort with you."

Lysandra debated if she should simply hear him out or make an excuse and go inform Seraphine about it all, see what she thinks about the Russian. Nikolaus, however, let nothing show upon his face, he remained stoic as ever. The composure that almost all royals she had met possessed irked her. Back in the earthen world, most of the people were easy to read and she took pride in herself for being clever enough to act according to the intentions of people. Despite not liking the company of people, she got to know a variety of personalities, thanks to the diverse fighting rinks she always found herself spending time at.