15 | asphyxiated psyche

"Look, trailing behind me is a waste of time

"Look, trailing behind me is a waste of time. Are you actually that dumb?"

"Do you think I would've approached you without any confirmations, Lysandra?" Seraphine scoffed. "I have seen fear in your eyes when I deemed you a Mikhael. I have seen astonishment mixed with keen familiarity that was hard to miss when you were exposed to my magus. How many days do you wish to waste in denial?"

"I am not in denial, you hear? You terrify me - you and your lunatic prophesies. You should leave," Lysandra finished, pacing around her room.

It was the evening of the day after her Vancouver fair terror and according to Jade and Adrianna, Laurent was the perfect gentleman who had brought her home and even carried her to the bed with utmost care and affection. Laurent had become a faraway person for, she had been avoiding him like the plague, not even bothering to go to her classes in the fear of stumbling upon him somewhere or the other in the campus. She had taken precautions not to keep her windows open or the balcony door ajar to prevent Theon or Laurent himself showing up unannounced.

Although, what she did not expect was Seraphine showing up at her doorstep whilst she was alone that afternoon and expecting a pizza delivery home. The food did come, after the unwanted intruder forced herself in, however. After a while of dilly dallying, Seraphine had lost her patience and initiated the dreaded conversation, leaving no means of escape for poor Lysandra. She couldn't run out of her own house, she thought to herself, cursing herself for getting stuck in such a phenomenal situations that she had somehow always managed to stay away from in the past years.

"Your attempts to stop what is inevitable will fail, woman. Death haunts you. Your powers, they are unknown as of now. Even to you, I presume and people do not fancy having a mystery laid bare in front of them. They will pry, ultimately leading to your demise for heaven's sake!"

"Are you done? I am sure your hyperactivity will make you a wondrous actress," Lysandra cackled, sarcasm clear in her tone. "I have no powers contrary your confident claims!" To prove her point, she jutted her hands out, twisting them into various positions to yield nothing but a groan from Seraphine. I am just as sick of everything as you are, she thought bitterly.

"Quomodo potest fieri ut tam contumax?"

[Quomodo potest fieri ut tam contumax? - how can you possibly be so stubborn?"]

"Ego iustus trying ad punctum, ex tali hebetudine. Videtur non accipere admonitus," Lysandra accused, her tone turning deadlier by every passing second.

[Ego iustus trying ad punctum, ex tali hebetudine. Videtur non accipere admonitus - I am just trying to point out your idiocy. Seems like you cannot take a hint]

"If you avouch so, would you be so kind as to tell me how you speak Latin with a learned fluency?" Seraphine pointed out.

Lysandra spluttered, looking like a fish out of water as her mouth opened and closed on its own accord, trying to induce another excuse into their pointless conversation but, running out of all reason and sanity once she realised she had no idea how the foreign words bubbled out of her lips. The phrase that she had gotten tattooed on her neck since it ventured way too close to her arcane past, was a part of some novel that she had her hands on when she was fourteen and to her utter bewilderment, she could read and perceive the riddle without the slightest hesitation.