43 | ballgowns and royals

The guest chamber held a deathly silence

The guest chamber held a deathly silence. It was so dark that Nikolaus could not see anything as he closed the door behind him, wondering why his son wasn't in yet. He stepped ahead, careful not to step on anything. As he tried to look for a lantern or the fireplace which was usually always lit, a slight crackle alerted him of another human presence. As if his senses had just come alive, he could smell the strong odor of cigarettes in the air. 

Avgsutine.

"Done betraying me, father? Or, is there something more you wish to do?" The fireplace lit up as Avgustine threw a lit lighter into it, his furious face suddenly visible. He seemed furious than ever, his light eyes coated with disappointment. Nikolaus's blood ran cold.

"Nervous for your wedding, moy syn?" he diverted the topic.

"Displeased at how low you've stooped," his son snapped, making the father reel back. "Couldn't you have trusted me enough to keep our people safe?"

Nikolaus sighed. There was no point lying anymore. "You are young and jumped right in when offered power. You don't know how utterly complicated this whole thing is, Gus. We were better off ruling our kingdom in peace, don't you think?"

"In the whole of history I know, father, you are the only stupid King who refuses to swoop in for a power grab." Avgustine walked towards his father, cornering him to a wall before sneering, "You thought I wouldn't notice, huh? You think I won't know that you were slinging army generals behind my back so they obey you when you need them to?"

"I have been doing no such thing," Nikolaus stated, crossing his arms and maintaining his facade.

Avgustine roughly grabbed his father by the throat. "Don't bother. I could gladly slit your throat right now but your lack of appearance in the summit tomorrow will raise suspicions. Let me get over with that and my wedding to the firecracker. You will be handled." 

Nikolaus gasped at how vile his son was being. Avgustine was in a mad fury to think before speaking and after taking care of things his own way, he excused himself to his room, leaving his father awe-struck and thwarted. 

It was all a matter of time to find out if the good would prevail or end up dead, suffocated in the clutches of people who were too greedy to rule kingdoms.