nothing like a mad woman

004. CHAPTER FOUR
nothing like a mad woman

THE Great Hall was big. It's not an exaggeration. The large foyer held five tables, one for each Hogwarts house, an extra for the faculty. Hundreds of students sat at their determined tables, all decked out in their selected house colors in forms of jumpers and t-shirts. The ceiling above was enchanted to look like the night sky when in use, the dark blue oblivion sitting, looking infinite above the occupants. Thousands of candles were invisibly strung above, burning eternally.

        It was about five days since the intensely awkward study group session, the party deciding it probably wasn't a good idea to meet up again.

        It was a sunny Sunday morning, the students at the four tables basking in the peaceful ambiance of an early weekend morning. Saiorse Evans was placed at the end of the Hufflepuff table, holding her favorite Muggle book, Fahrenheit 451 in her hand while taking a bite of her croissant. The people around her thought it was an oddity that the girl wasn't sorted into Ravenclaw, taken by creativity and curiosity. She was always found with a book in her hand, or studying the latest assignment in different subjects.

        Truth was, she didn't have anything else to do.

        As she read the enigmatic tales of Guy Montag and his dystopian society, the tall, long windows of the Great Hall opened to reveal dozens of owls with parcels in their hands. Although the Post was closed on Sundays outside of the wizarding world, inside was when the mailing system most fluctuated. Saiorse was used to the chatter of new mail around her, but what she wasn't used to was a letter falling onto her plate from her sister's owl.

        Saiorse hadn't received any mail since the middle of fifth year after her parents caught light of her affairs. They called her a disgrace; told her that Lily had always been the model child. Saiorse felt the pain of the insults they sent her deeply, she didn't even have the people that were supposed to love her unconditionally by her side. Yet, she couldn't help but feel a pang of hope at the sight of the beautiful cursive writing that read her full name on a wax paper envelope.

       She tentatively grabbed the letter, breaking the wax seal on the back. It was from someone she would've never expected; it was someone who didn't turn on her for the reason that everyone else did.

To: Saiorse Josephine Evans

Dearest Sister,

You probably weren't expecting this letter, correct? Thought so.

Let me get straight to the chase without the stupid 'how are you' bullshit. I ABSOLUTELY, 100% BELIEVE YOU ARE A FREAK OF NATURE. You and Lily's abilities have always made me so uncomfortable, so unnatural! Nonetheless, I have a proposition for you.

I've been engaged, Josie. To a sensible, practical man named Vernon Dursley, a man I think I love. Well, I have to love. We're getting married in January, and I wanted to invite you.

Mother and Father forced me to invite Lily, but they have no clue I'm inviting you. As I said before, I still think you're a freak for your magic, but you've always been my favorite sister. I know that I've got a stick shoved up my arse, but I like your guts. I like that you stand up for yourself, Josie. It's a good trait to have.

    Anyways, I have a small catch. I know you're in the social reject phase, but I need you to bring a date. Please, just do it for me. Me, your favorite/glorious older sister.

    Please come. You're one of the only people I tolerate in our family.

    From your fabulous sister,
    Petunia Evans (Soon-to-be Dursley)