never thought we'd have a last kiss

006. CHAPTER SIX
never thought we'd have a last kiss

A year. The day was October 1st, 1976. A full year since Caspian Bronwen's last breath.

        The thought hit Saiorse like a brick. Thinking of how it felt to hear the words escape from Headmaster Dumbledore's quivering voice, Saiorse couldn't move. Something dark dragged her down into the abyss, an abyss she wasn't sure she could get out of.

         The professors in the school took pity on the girl for the days of the anniversary, letting her stay in her dormitory with her assignments. If she wasn't so melancholy, she would've been overjoyed to have the opportunity to miss class and get off the hook with it. But she wasn't overjoyed. In fact, she was the complete opposite.

         If Saiorse was to be honest with herself, Caspian was one of the only people she truly loved. He was understanding, funny, caring for others around him. He made Saiorse a better person. But it was taken away.

         She could barely even get out of her bed the morning of. She simply stared at the dome-like ceiling, memories of the boy flashing through her mind.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" the Sorting Hat atop of Saiorse Evans' head yelled after three minutes of deciding between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. The girl sighed in relief, the weight of becoming a hat stall lifting off of her shoulders. She heard woops of approval from her sister at the Gryffindor table, smiling for the other girl. Both of the Evans girls were a bit sad to be separated, but they knew they would find a way to see each other no matter what.

        She looked to the gold and maroon covered table, waving excitedly at Lily. The latter waved with just as much enthusiasm, sitting down once her arm got tired.

        Saiorse walked over to the yellow and black adorned students, sitting with the rest of the excited, yet anxious first years. She looked around at all of the faces, all smiling at the knowledge and history of the beloved badger house.

        "Bronwen, Caspian!" It called out once more, a tall blonde boy walking to the center of the stage to where the sorting hat was waiting in Professor McGonagall's hands.

        "Hufflepuff!" It called out before the hat could even touch the boy's head. He grinned, walking over to the farthest table on the right with a spring in his step. He decided to sit across from the pretty red haired girl, the one he didn't recognize.

        "Hello." He nervously greeted the girl as they met eyes. Her breath hitched in her throat when she looked into the blonde boy's blue eyes, the beauty being completely mesmerizing. The boy thought her eyes were a beautiful hazel color, the happiness placed in them being contagious.

        "Saiorse Evans." She smiled breathily, holding her hand out for the boy to shake. He took it, shaking it briefly before letting go in fear of his hand being sweaty.

        "Caspian Bronwen, if you couldn't already tell." He laughed, grabbing a spoonful of mashed potatoes from in front of him. The girl giggled, doing the same.

        The rest of the crowd of first years were sorted, the Great Hall filled with chatter from the charismatic students. Dumbledore had already said his speech, talking about the usual rules and dangers of Hogwarts. Honestly, with the way he spoke about it, Hogwarts didn't seem that safe at all.

        But, he was a wacky old man after all.

        "Which class do you think will be your favorite?" The boy across from her asked. He was still grinning, grabbing the spoon from the right of his bowl.