sad, beautiful, tragic love affair

024. CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
sad, beautiful, tragic love affair

          SAIORSE didn't understand what it was about summer that everyone loved so much.

Sure, there wasn't any school work or finals to study for to worry about or professors patrolling your house at night to make sure you're not sneaking off into the kitchen after hours. But it's never truly been her favorite season.

She thought about it as she was sweating her skin off sitting in the rickety old building ( that had no air conditioning ) with Lily behind the dusty counter. The third Thursday of the summer of '77, and Saiorse was working in a shop that almost nobody visited, and in the blistering heat of mid day. In Lily's hand rested a trinket that had sat behind the counter, in Saiorse's, a treatise on a wizarding philosopher, Nicolas Flamel. "Where did Ms. Figg say she was going again?" Lily asked, her eyebrows furrowed as she began to fan herself. Saiorse pulled her tank top strap back up from her arm and onto her shoulder, sighing as she turned another page.

"She said something about sweets, I wasn't really paying attention." She mumbled, setting the book down as she began to press buttons at random on the register. Both girls remained in silence as Lily grabbed a feather duster from beside the register, leaving from behind the counter as she spread the feathers around each antique around the room.

Both of the girls' head snapped to the door as they heard the small bell above the door ring twice, a grin making it's way to Saiorse's face as she realized who the boy was. "Ren." She smiled as the blonde boy got to the counter.

"Saiorse, hey." He smirked, nodding to both of the Evans girls. "So, uh, I asked Potter where I could find you two, so, here I am."

Lily sarcastically smiled at the newly graduated wizard, widening her eyes as a warning towards Saiorse as she turned back around to the shelf she was dusting. "Why were you trying to find us?" Saiorse asked with her own smirk, leaning over the stone counter.

The boy scratched the back of his neck, leaning on one of the wooden columns as his grin widened. "I was going to ask you two if you and a couple friends wanted to come with my brother and I to our beachside. Rory wanted to invite you, but he was so wrapped up in inviting Remus, so I was forced to invite everyone else."

Saiorse nodded with a smile, looking over to her sister for confirmation. Lily widened her eyes again, slightly shaking her head, earning an eyebrow furrow from her sister. ". . . Yeah. Yeah, we'll go." Saiorse replied, her eyes still narrowed in on Lily as Ren nodded, ignoring the odd exchange between the sisters in front of him.

"Cool, cool, cool." He smiled quickly, drumming his fingers on the counter. "Rory'll send a letter in a few weeks as to when. I guess, uh...I'll see you."

"See you." Saiorse grinned, watching as the boy slowly made his way to the door, holding his hands behind his back, feigning courtesy as he walked by the large windows with a wide smirk. Lily cleared her throat, bringing her sister's attention back onto her.

"You didn't just do that." Lily bemusedly stated to Saiorse, setting the feather duster down as she crossed her arms.

"What's so wrong with going with the two boys?" Saiorse asked, copying her sister's actions as her eyes narrowed once more.