13 | i'm okay

Miliani's POV

Sound of birds chirping filled my ears with the soft ripple of water. Subconsciously I scooted closer to the warmth which was no doubt something soft, the wind flew through the small strands of hair, tickling me in the process. I slowly opened my eyes and faced the beautiful orange sky with dark clouds surrounding the expanse of infinity, it was bleeding the shades of red-orange pink and slight purple also made its appearance. The sight alone was enough to start a beautiful day. I sat up straight on the roof of the car, still mesmerized by the beauty of all the colours scattered across the sky. I pulled the jacket closer which I realized was the source of my warmth.

"I told you to not send him there alone" I looked down at the sound of Caim's voice coming from the lakeside. He was sitting at the same rock where he sat yesterday, talking or more like screaming, if I could still hear him clearly, at the poor person this early in the morning. I jumped of the car and walked towards the brooding man. He didn't notice me and kept on shouting at the person.

I sat on the rock nearest to the lake and dipped my hand inside the water to feel its temperature, the water was a little cold but it was soothing so I dipped my feet in it and relaxed. I felt a little tingling feeling on my feet. I looked down in the water to see some fishes were circling my feet and their tails were caressing it. I giggled a little but kept my legs dipped in the cold water, liking the sensation.

"I think we should go" I heard Caim behind me. I twisted my body to look at him and felt a small blush creeping up my face. He was wearing a dishevelled appearance, his hair was completely messy and was sticking up in every direction, his shirt was untucked. But somehow he pulled it off without any effort and here I am, looking like a homeless beggar with an oversized jacket and hair like a birds nest.

"Yeah, we should, we have school today," I said remembering Ailey and Karlos, they must be worried sick about me. I forgot my phone at the house as well, they must be calling. I left without informing them, oh god they are going to kill me.

" you can skip school today," he said not looking at me, I sometimes can not understand him. He is one complicated man, last night he was cuddling me with his head on my stomach and now he doesn't even want to look at me.

" No, going to school will help me take my mind off of things and I want to see Karl and Ailee," I said and stood up from the rock, I passed Caim and walked towards his car. I could see the dent on its roof by our weight, so I opened the door and applied the pressure on the inside of the roof and popped it back up.

"Alright" I heard him mutter but I ignored him and quickly opened the passenger side door to further annoy him, he hates it when I open the door myself, it's like he wants to be chivalrous and I don't let him. He huffed like I expected and walked towards the driver side, with a shake of his head he opened the door and settled inside followed by me.

The car was warm inside which helped my shivering body to warm up its temperature. My shivering stopped after a while and we were off the road. Caim was quiet as usual so I let my thoughts run wild in the silence.

I started to think about the message I received the other day from Sean, i'm coming baby girl, it said. The simple text was enough to bring back all the buried pain deep inside my heart, all the painful memories of him killing my sister to my mother and father abandoning me.

We were once a very loving family with perfect parents and stable financial conditions, Layla and I were the perfect daughters with perfect grades but everything shattered when she died. Layla was the most important person to tie our family together and when she was gone the thread snapped and I couldn't hold onto it for longer, the thread too ragged to hold on and everything fell apart. I not only lost my sister but my parents also, on that horrible night, and now he is back.