60 | distress

Miliani's POV

He was here, with his head on my stomach and eyes so hopeful they twinkled. my breath got knocked out of me. Maybe I was drowsy from the medicine or it was just a fragment of my imagination that I saw him smiling. The ends of his lips tipped into the most surreal expression. Dot dimple on the side of his cheek, a handsome expression that took my heart all over again.

I only saw Caim smile a handful of times, I could count on my one hand the number of his smiles. But now looking at him, all smiley and twinkly I couldn't help but smile back. I really am imagining things, no way in reality would Caim smile like that. So happy, so.....pure.

Like an instinct my hand went to the brown of his head, brown or white? My eyes widened, the silver hair were sparkling in the dim lighting of the room. His hair was white-no silver. The purest of silver. Shadowing his eyes in the most inhumanly way possible. If I was falling before, now I might have touched the ground and bounced back to fall once again.

A languid smile plastered on his face, he slowly closed his eyes and breathed. Just inhale and exhale only for a few seconds, everything was silent and I loved it. Every second of the sweet silent in his presence, I loved all about it. My fingers stroked his hair. It was soft, if possible, softer then his hair before. My fingers played with his strands like they were familiarizing with the softness, with the intimacy of unknotting every knot.

The eyes that remained close, opened slowly, leisurely and looked at me, gazed into mine with a ferocious dose of affection and something more docile, hiding in-between the lines. I could read it, the scribbles between the affection. I could name the emotion but I stopped before it becomes too real and I'll get left behind with an aching chest that knows it's just a dream.

"Thank God, you're fine" he lift his hand and touch mine on top of his head. Taking it in his and slowly pulling it towards his mouth and kissed it. I blinked and stared. I was blank for the most part of this moment. My hands and eyes and heart is working but my brain is taking too long to process what was happening.

He slowly lifted his head from his position and scooted closer to me on his chair. My eyes following the sway of his very new hair, I was entranced in the fact that someone could possess such trait. My hand unconsciously reached forward to feel the strands once again, I was curious, the color might transfer into my fingers like it does when you touch a butterfly's wings. Leaving behind the imprint of something so beautiful.

But he was no butterfly. Caim was a moth and I, the flame. Waiting for the moth to come and wrap itself around the blaze. maybe this time the moth wouldn't burn as the flames would put out. I looked into his blazing eyes, they were filled with hues of different emotions.

"are you okay?" he whispered, each word was closing off the distance between us. I found myself anticipating the last words to finally feel him closer to me. I nodded. it was another miracle when he closed his eyes and nodded, the smile staying on his lips.

"you scared me" he opened his eyes and this time there were unshed questions, glistening. "when I saw you in this bed, injured...barely making any noise, I got scared." he cupped my face, coming closer.

"you scared the fuck out of Miliani Snow, you don't know how difficult it was for me to look at you and not scream. to stand there, watching the nurses hooking you with so many needles, tubes" the questions were slowly unleashing from his eyes, wetting his cheeks and flowing down to drop on my hands. I wanted to wipe them, to clear any sort of despair his heart is feeling but I was afraid that my touch will end this dream. he will vanish.

"First, it was Grammy and now, you. please just give me a break" he wiped his cheeks. "I can only take so much" his hands tightened around my cheeks. I could feel his cold hands. he was shivering, shaking. from the cold? I don't know but I wanted to get him warm and pull him under the covers with me until his heat surrounds me.