25 | starting of the storm

Authors POV

"Boss, we have some bad news for you," Josh said, as the man huffed and appeared to be having trouble breathing normally. Lucas was standing behind Josh, and they both wore a brooding expression that was a dead giveaway for a red flag.

Caim turned around to see the timid girl looking over at them with a puzzled expression, her gaze moving from Lucas to Josh and finally settling on the blue-grey orbs. He could see the curiosity building up in them and before she could ask him anything he told josh to wait for him outside.

He nodded and walked away from the three teenagers, each of whom was wearing a different expression.

"What was he talking about?" she asked as she fiddled with the hem of her white shirt. She ran through various scenarios in her head about what the bad news was and why the guy had just called Caim his boss. She couldn't connect all of the dots because there were still some blank spaces to be filled. Her faith in Caim was shaken once more, and she refrained from asking if he had killed those men. The question was gnawing at her mind, and she almost wanted to ask how he got out safe from the attack unarmed.

"Nothing," Caim said clearly, leaving no room for debate. He was already stressed out by Grace, and now this bad news, he was certain that whatever it was, it had something to do with grey. This is not the first time he has received a red flag, the red flag means that people were killed during the attack.

"Lucas, stay with her" Lucas nodded his head and walked towards where Miliani was standing. He knew that if Caim didn't go, the problem would worsen and he might lose his life. This time, what they all thought was a minor threat turned out to be a major attack.

Caim turned around to see Miliani standing there looking right into his eyes as if she knows he's hiding something. He was afraid that if Miliani caught a whiff of what he'd been up to his entire life, she'd despise him and see him as an accuser and a criminal. That's why he wasn't ready to commit to anyone. All his life, he protected himself by avoiding people, and those who dared to speak to him would always return home crying because a'mean' guy punched them. Caim would always feel sad after harassing those kids, but he couldn't do anything because he was designed to be a mafia, so he forgot what empathy and affection meant and was left with the facade of emotionlessness, which soon became his reality.

He exited the building and entered the parking lot, where he found Josh sitting on the hood of a white car with some random designs. He was on the phone, with his back facing Caim.

"I don't know Sam, just keep them locked," Josh said loudly enough for Caim to hear. After he hung up, he ran his fingers through his hair and slipped the phone into his pocket. His stress was visible on his face, with dark bags under his eyes. He jumped when Caim banged his hand on the roof of the ugly white car.

"B-boss, I was just talking to Sam. H-" he was cut off by Caim, who raised his hands in a stop motion. Josh clammed his mouth shut, knowing how cruel his boss could be if he didn't obey him.

What is it?"Caim asked calmly before pulling out his phone and dialling a number. His fingers were hovering over the familiar number, and it would only take one click to find out what had happened. He raised his brows and tilted his head slightly in a predatory manner. Josh was already frightened by Caims' presence, but his calm demeanour and rage-filled eyes were enough to make anyone kneel in front of him.

Josh jumped off the hood and pulled his hoody down, gulping and bracing himself for the impending wrath.

"Boss, another robbery occurred last night, 5 people were killed, and 7 were injured," Josh said as the parking lot fell silent. Caim suspected it had something to do with his drug trade. He was also certain that the person behind all of this was Grey, but one thing remained hazy. Why would he target Caim's men and the drug trade if he wanted to destroy him?