Chapter 27

Day 55

     The bed felt somewhat warmer the longer I laid in it. I could feel the slight dampness under my armpits and between my thighs. My constant tossing every few seconds, kicking and pulling back the blanket had me awake in the wee hour of the morning. In simpler words, I was restless. I was too tired to even sleep. I was mind-sore, you could say— even thinking hurt.

     I laid on my back, staring up at the boring ceiling. The air was still and the creatures at sleep. It was one of those moment where everything's at peace; the early hours of the morning when everyone and everything is silent. Those moments when your thoughts are kept so frozen you can't even hear the voices in your own head. The said silence wasn't scary, if anything it was peaceful and welcoming.

     With a final decision, I kicked the covers off, secured my hand around the golden locket resting between the swell of my bosom and tiptoed to the window. Camila was still fast asleep. I was few steps away from the window when I stepped on something.

"Ouch!"

      I immediately placed my hand over my mouth to mute anymore sounds. Thankfully Camila wasn't disturbed, she was still sleeping soundly. I crouched down to see what I had trampled on. It was a flower stud earring; the same one Camila had been searching for the previous night.

     I gently picked it up and placed it on her desk, all the while raining expletives on its maker. Under my foot was a bit sore, so I had to slightly limp the rest of the way to the window. Now on top of my restlessness, I had a limp.

Great.

     I drew in a deep breath before giving attention to the view in front of me. A warm golden hue was slowly breaking through the cobalt sky. It was breathtaking. After drawing in a couple of the fresh morning air, I cautiously skipping back to the bed and pulled out my journal.

...

       Slow. That was one word to describe my day. Compared to that of the dawn, the morning air was slow. Time was moving backward. People moving around me were sluggish.Even my heart raced at a pitiful state. The day just wasn't right.

Everything felt so off balanced and I had no idea why. It also didn't help that I had a limp thanks to what happened in the morning with the earring.

   By lunchtime, I was pretty certain everyone had caught on to my bad mood, including the cafeteria monitor. My table members were quick to notice and tried to cheer me up.

"I never said it, but I really like your locket." Madison smiled. "It's really antique, yet cute."

"Truth me, I heard that today's bonfire night is gonna be totally awesome," Scott said seconds later.

     Camila had a wavering smile. "Are you sure you're alright? "

     Even the gooey goodness of a classic cheese burger did nothing to brighten up my day.

Room 21

     Three solid knocks. "Come in."

     Three seconds later I waltzed in. "Andrea!" Miss Aeliana beamed. "Just the young lady I was waiting for."

     She directed me further into her office, stopping me by the window. Beside it, sat a lone metal chair with a covered structure in front of it. She further instructed me to take a seat.