CHAPTER 5

August 13th

The mornings are always the hardest; something I've said before. It's just like an epitome of a war between your body and your mind. They both want separate things, but at the end of the day, they're still the same being. What I hate most about it however, is that it signified the start of another day. The beginning of having to pretend to be okay.

I hastily woke up with only one word in my mind, 'Court.' It's all I've been able to think about since yesterday. For me, this day would be marked out as an important day in my life; a day where my honour may be defended or not.

I took a quick shower and got dressed, wearing the black dress I picked out the previous night. I specifically wanted it black so it could reflect how I was feeling inside. I put on some perfume, wore my pearl studs earrings and slipped on my black ballet flats. With one last glance at the mirror, I made my way downstairs.

The house was more quiet than usual, something that had never happened since my brother discovered his new love for loud speakers. My family were at the dining table having breakfast; well trying to. My entrance gained attention and soon everyone was staring at me. They were staring at me like I would grow an extra eye and cry out a river.

"Hey honey," my mother said with a barely noticeable smile on her face. "Come have breakfast," she smiled, stretching out her hand. I shuffled slowly towards her and took my seat. I wrapped my hand around hers.

"Hey kiddo. Want some pancakes?" My father asked, wearing a fake smile. I really didn't, but I raised up my index finger. He smiled for real this time and dropped one on the plate in front of me.

"I would take more than one if I were you," Andrew smirked. Thankfully, he was still being his plain old normal self, or at least pretending to be. Ever since that night, he have been trying to act as if nothing had changed and for that I was a little grateful.

Breakfast went smoothly even though I was unable to eat anything, due to my enraging nerve and then some. Before I knew it, we were in the car and heading straight to the courthouse.

We arrived at the courthouse at exactly nine am sharp. I couldn't stop staring down at my watch, counting down every second; so of course I would know. We all got out of the car, walked or rather stalked—like a group of starved zombies—to the entrance. Thankfully we spotted my lawyer standing right near the door.

Mrs. Hayden smiled and acknowledged each of us with nods and handshakes. "Mr. and Mrs. Coleman. Andrea. Andrew. Welcome, shall we go in?"

My parents and the lawyer walked ahead, while Andrew and I followed shortly behind. He took my hand in his. "Everything's gonna be alright," Andrew assured with a squeeze.

...

I was seated by a table on the left, with a fence separating me from my family and friends, while he sat at the opposing side.

"All rise for the Honourable Judge Michael," exclaimed a tall man with salt and pepper hair.

"That's the Court Clerk," Mrs. Hayden whispered. As I stood, I tried to remember what Mrs. Hayden and I had discussed concerning the duties of a court clerk.

Judge Michael, a rather tall, dark skinned, middle age man with a well trimmed beard came waltzing in; quite majestically if I may add.