Chapter 25

Day 50

     The experience at the museum was amazing. It was a perfect contrast between historical and contemporary art. What I expected of to be boring, turned out to actually be fun. We probably made mockery of at least half of the exhibits on display, ate foods with weird thought off names and most likely didn't learn anything educative, thanks to Milo's constant Milo-ness.

     We all stumbled into the bus an hour early courtesy of Courtney and Noah. They kept complaining of a headache and couldn't seem to keep still for a minute. We resumed to the seat we first came in, bringing Aidan back to my side.
By
     The mood as we rode back to the institute was quite relaxing. It reminded me so much of the drive I took when going off to summer camp years back. A popping jam played in the background as we all whispered the lyrics, bopping our heads softly to the beat. The air in the bus was clean, smelling like wild roses. The cooling system above our heads circulated the car freshener scent perfectly around us. Everything seemed to be in order. Everything down to the way his hand fitted nicely in mine. He gave me a gentle squeeze from time to time; somehow reminding me that he was right here with me.

     Cherry hopped off last, shutting the passenger door. "Well off you all go." She waved us off. "Go enjoy the rest of your weekend. " She smiled, beckoning to Courtney and Noah to come join her.

     The gravel crunched beneath our feet as we headed to the garden. The birds chirped happily above us, flowers waved shyly to the ryhthm of the breeze and the sun shone timidly behind the fluff of a broccoli shaped cloud.

     Milo swirled, facing the group. He clashed his hand together, a mischievous smile playing on his face. "So, where are we off to? "

     Someone behind me pushed forward. "The lake!"

     The lake? What lake? There's a lake?

     Aidan instantly tugged on my arm, sensing my confusion. He flattened his thumb down the middle of my brows. "You look kinda cute when you're lost in thoughts, trying to figure something out," he whispered. I could feel my cheeks getting warm.

     He locked his hand with mine and pulled me forward. "Let's catch up with the others." Only then did I notice we were tagging behind the group.

     The route we took was well concealed; hidden. If you didn't know where you were going, you'll probably get lost. There were overgrown bushes sprouted everywhere with a glimpse of young flowers and branches of untamed trees woven loosely together, blocking out the sun. It reminded me of a scene from The Secret Garden. It was almost magical, except from the gentle brush of hairy plants against my calf and ankles; like snakes curling around my leg.

     We walked for about three more minutes before bursting into an open yard. From where I stood, the sky looked wider, closer even. It was so blue, decorated with the softest looking clouds I had seen in a long time. The air was cool and the lake...

The lake was far beyond my simple words. Its surface glittered under the warm sun, like stars in a dark night. The water so clear I could see shiny pebbles laying on its bed. What hooked me more was the scent that travelled around; the forest after a downpour with a hint of old wood scent. It was homely. It was Aidan.

     Speaking of Aidan, his hand was protectively wrapped around mine. "How is this possible?" I waved my free hand around. "It feels like we're somewhere else. " I laughed, not knowing how else to feel.

     He tightened his hold. "Yeah." His eyes crinkled by the side. "It's a long story. In short, Milo and I found this place while wandering off during free time." He took a moment to admire the surrounding. "I think the institute just kinda forgot this place ever existed or something," he shuggered.