Chapter 13

Day 23

Sic parvis magna- Greatness from small beginning.

     That quote had been on repeat in my head since my meditation class on Saturday. Miss Aeliana, the instructor talked about appreciating the smallest of things in life as me and several others sat crossed legged on colourful mats. The whole room was filled with some kind of calming incense, lavender maybe and scented candles burnt brightly around us. She talked about how everything starts out small; how our progress may seem to be at a slow pace, but the same small movement would lead to greater things or something like that, I can't quite recall.

     She also encouraged us to say one positive word or sentence a day. My word for the day was hope. I hoped that my first counseling would go well.

     The day after I arrived, after breakfast, I visited Mr. Sebastian's office like he asked. Pleasantries were exchanged and soon a light knock interrupted before he could begin conversation.

"Come in."

"Mr. Robo, you called for me?" An angelic voice said. I couldn't see her face as I was backing the door.

"Yes Mrs. Peña, please have a seat," Mr. Sebastian instructed, signalling to the empty chair beside me.

     I turned my head slightly to the side to catch a glimpse. She was a tan skinned, pretty lady and just like her voice, her face was also angelic. She had dark brown wavy hair, small facial features with full pink lips and freckles scattered across her nose. She was dressed simple and formally, like everyone else who worked there.

     Mr. Sebastian cleared his throat. "Mrs. Peña, this is Miss Andrea and she will be under your care starting Monday," he said, his hand stretched out to me. "And Andrea, this is Mrs. Peña, your therapist...

     So back to where I was.

     I had just wore my new favourite beige coloured sweater over my black cotton jumpsuit, the weather was a bit windy. Camila wasn't in the room, she left ten minutes ago, saying her had a pending appointment or something along that line.

     I exited the room, locked the door and placed the key into my little bag. I briskly walked to the elevator, the doors were starting to close. There was someone else when I made it in. I knew her, we weren't friends or anything, but I had seen her around. I tried to talk to her yesterday during lunch, but once she saw coming, she took off.

     She was a chubby, average height, dark skinned girl. She was truly beautiful with her big hazel eyes and curly full hair. We were almost the same height and probably the same age as well.

     We both stayed quiet as the elevator descended. She was still looking down at her feet, just like she was did when I first jumped in while I was watching the numbers of floors decrease on a glass pad at the side of the elevator door.

     I don't know if it was just me but the ride was very slow and awkward. I couldn't take it anymore; the silence was killing me.

"Hi."

     No response, nothing.

"I'm Andrea," I tried once more. She didn't respond, she just looked quite uncomfortable; her hands were shaking and her forehead was glittering under the white lights of the box.

     I suddenly felt guilty for causing her any discomfort. I planned to apologise-.

Ding!

     She didn't even wait for the doors to open completely, she dashed out before I could get another word out. I thought it was strange, maybe she didn't like people, like my Aunt Carol. I shuggered, got off the lift and exited the building, pushing what just happened to the back of my mind.