Chapter 12

Bryan

     I was never one to complain, but prison life was terrible; it was no life at all, period. After my first trial, I was transferred to a state prison. I had never felt more humiliated in my life. I was stripped, disinfected and subjected to a very thorough inspection to ensure I wasn't smuggling anything into the prison. The only thing I had with me was a little photo of Andrea that I had in my wallet.

     As if having to wear the ugly orange jumpsuit wasn't enough, they had my hair shaved off. I went from a mop of curls to a buzz cut within minutes.

     And don't even get me started about my cell and cellmate; both were equally disgusting. I didn't know his real name but everyone called him Snakes. He was the typical big, bad, gangsta guy with loads of tattoos and he was boss around here. I don't know why, but for some unknown reason he seemed to have some kind of interest in me because he singled me out of the rest of the newbies; claiming me as his boy toy.

     With tired legs, I stood there fanning a half conscious Snakes with a plastic fan, trying to recall what day it was. Trying to recall how many times I've envisioned killing Snakes in his sleep, but I can't be reckless. I knew that if I wanted to get out of this hell hole on time, I had to be on my very best behaviour.

     My whole body was aching like crazy because I had been beaten up for something I didn't even do and locked up in solitary for a duration of twenty four hours.

"Faster!", Snakes growled, stirring up.

     I quicken my pace, pushing through the pain I felt in my upper body. I haven't been able to sleep properly due to Snakes' monstrous snores and the food here was stale and tasteless; everything was mushy, even the bread.

"I said faster!", he complained, his face marred with a frown as he stared at me with one eye opened.

     The only thing that kept me going was Andrea. In the few nights I did manage to catch some shut eye, she always visited me. She always came with her beautiful face; her alluring smile, wearing the olive sundress I admired on her. It made the green in her eyes stand out. She looked like an angel; my guardian angel.

"Are your hands useless or wh-", Snakes boomed, however he was interrupted by the warden.

"Hey!. Break it up, it's time to go to the courtyard!", he yelled, banging on the iron bars and staring at us darkly.

"Open cell C13", he commanded, speaking into the two way radio placed on his left shoulder.

     The double iron bar doors slid open slowly, emitting a clanking sound as the mechanism of the door operated. Every other day by the same time, the prison guards gathered all the inmates at the courtyard for a head count. We were meant to walk in a straight line, one metre apart like a bunch of kindergarteners.

     After the census were recorded, we were then allowed to roam around the yard, doing whatever we wanted, for an hour or two. It was the perfect opportunity for the other inmates to pick on the newbies;  the fishes as they referred to us. But despite that, it was the best part of my day; out under the sun and knowing that soon I would see Andrea again.

"Yoo!, five ninety!", yelled one of the inmate, calling me by my serial number.

     On arrival, every inmate is given a serial number. That same number is then imprinted on our jumpsuit, making identification easier. So as you guessed it, my number was 590.

     I sighed, turning around slowly to meet harden stares directed at me but one particular pair of dark brown oculus caught my attention; Snakes. I had gotten so used to the foul situation that was about to occur that I no longer seem surprised by it.

     You see, the other convicts that had been there for much longer took it upon themselves to openly humiliate "the fishes". Forcing us to do things that were odd and uncommon. I had painfully observe others go through the unbearable mortification, but I guess today was my turn.

"Come on over!"

"Pretty boy!"

"Baby boy!", they mocked, wearing dirty sinister grins.

     I scuffled towards them, standing in the front of the now gathering crowd and awaited my challenge.

"I'm feeling a little bored today. I think we need some entertainment, don't we boys?", Snakes smirked, stirring up the small crowd.

"Yes!-".

"Yeah!-".

"You're right", they all mumbled, looking at me like I had something hideous on my face.

"What do you say?, I think pretty boy over here should dance a little for us, aye?", Snakes gagged, smirking my way. "Do you think that's a good idea, pretty boy?", he mocked, laughing in my face and pretty soon the whole crowd erupted as well.

     I furiously fidgeted, bouncing on the heels of my feet; my hands balled into fists. I kept taking deep breaths, all red faced and wanting nothing more than to wrap my hands around each and every one of their necks, especially Snakes'. To watch as the life fade away from their eyes. I advanced forward, fully amped up; throwing my whole good behaviour plan out the window.

     First step.... Second step... Thir-.

"Hey!"

Fweet!!!.

"Break it up!... I said break it up!", came a yelling stern voice at a far off distance. More guards could be heard as they trampled over to the other side of the court and more loud whistles were blown, trying to calm down the commotion.

     Apparently, a fight broke out between two guys. They were fighting over a knife;  the same knife that was being consificated by the guards. Guess that settled who got the knife.

     The guys were separated and taken away, probably some sort of punishment awaited them while the crowd was dismissed by the remaining guards on ground.

     I guessed my murderous intentions would have to be put off for yet another day, as always.

     As we were hurdled back to our respective cells, all I could think about was how another day had come to a close; another day less for me to see Andrea again. However that wasn't the only thing on my mind. I couldn't help but count down the seconds until dinner time. The food was far from being great but it was food nevertheless.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Author's Note

     Hi.. How's your week going? Hope you're keeping safe in this pandemic period?

     P. S. I don't apologize for making Bryan's character this way. Not everyone can be a knight in shining armor.

     Remember to vote, comment, follow, share and drop a music suggestion for this chapter. See ya🌈.