Chapter 24: Part 2

Allie

"So you guys don't eat together?" I asked quietly.

Alix shrugged. "My Dad is supposed to be buying a new table, but I like eating alone in my room."

"What happened to the table anyways?" I asked.

"My parents were fighting. Something happened ... I'm not sure what, but I believe my Dad must've done something to it on accident." She said quietly.

"Understandable." I said.

Alix and I are sitting on her bed. We're sitting apart trying not to look too suspicious just in case someone walks in. We've been waiting for Tiffany to enter the room and ruin our mood. She's in the kitchen with Alix's parents. I can hear her loud obnoxious fake laugh echoing down the hall. She's laughing out loud purposely cause she knows she's crashing our get together.

"I wanna knock her head off sometimes." Alix said.

I chuckled. "You and me both."

She groaned. "How are we supposed to enjoy each other?"

"Hey, how many times do I have to tell you I have something planned for us tonight - well for you. Trust me. We'll have fun." I said.

"You keep saying that. It better be fun." She said.

"It will, I promise." I smiled.

"Sneak in one last kiss? Before she walks in here and destroys everything?" She said quietly.

I nodded. "Deal."

We quickly stretch and lean into each other's lips and pull away. I'm not used to all of this. I'm not used to hiding and playing safe. This is completely new to me. It makes me feel like if I make one wrong move, Alix can become endangered. Tiffany already has enough on us.

"I'm just happy you're here. I don't feel alone like I usually do." She said softly.

"I'm happy we'll be in your room for the remainder of this. Your mom's stare is deadly." I said.

"I know and I'm sorry about that. In my head this was a much better idea." She shrugged.

"Everything will always run much smoother in your head." I smiled.

She smiled back. "How was work?"

"Short. Got some money in though." I answered.

"Do you have enough for rent yet?" She asked.

I sighed. "Almost. I'm actually going to apply for food stamps pretty soon ... I've just been lazy."

"Well that's not bad. Those things help." She said cheerfully. "We used to use them."

"Yeah, they do. I just have a lot of things on my mind, that's all." I said.

"Well Ms. Samson, take the time to breathe. You're here with me. You don't need to think about anything else right now." She said softly.

I smiled and nodded. "You're right Carter. I'm here with the leader of the pack."

"See, now you're gettin' it." She smiled.

Alix's door busts open as we see the person who's responsible for giving us a mini heart attack. Tiffany has a smirk plastered on her face. Her dingy yellow hood doesn't match with her grey suede sweatpants. Her short black hair sits just centimeters above her slim shoulders.

Her taunting eyes switch between Alix and I.

"Hey, ladies." Tiffany said.

"Look what the cat dragged in." I said cheerfully.