Chapter 52: Part 2

Allie

Ever since I gave them their pep talk, they've been playing like a team. They started using these random call outs to help coordinate things better. Alix still looks like she's ready to pass out, but I can tell her adrenaline is starting to pump through her.

The score is now 24-23. They just need one more point and they win. It hasn't been easy. I already started sweating from all the excitement. Every time they score I automatically stand up and start screaming for them.

The sponsor's have been taking pictures all around the court. Some have been exchanging words with each other, pointing at different girls, including Alix.

The libero on the opposite side bounces the ball over the net. Alix hits it upward to prepare to hit back over the net and she does swiftly. The ball flies over to an outside hitter. The outside hitter hits the ball over to their setter. The setter then smacks the ball straight toward Tiffany, who jumps and adds power to her swing. She grunts loudly.

Everything feels like it's moving slow motion. My own anticipation is making me anxious. One small mistake can cause the game to do a complete 360. The setter on the other team almost misses the ball, but recovers while she still can and passes it over to her other teammates. The ball goes straight for another outside hitter on the Wolves.

She doesn't react as fast as she should've and the ball smacks her face, but she manages to recover and hit the ball toward someone. The libero steps into help and puts all her force into hitting the ball back over to the other side.

The libero spikes the ball toward Alix's feet. Alix drops to her knees and bumps the ball over the net with ease in a matter of seconds, but her facial expression is strained and concentrated. She trains for countering spikes. The spike wouldn't have counted anyway, but Alix is a perfectionist and never misses an opportunity to show off her stuff. Plus, I don't think anyone ever expects someone to hit a spike.

The ball is in the air for what feels like forever. It ends up getting hit back over the net by the middle blocker and straight toward Tiffany. Tiffany hits the ball to the girl in front of her, the right outside hitter. Back over the net it goes, this time hard and fast. I can see the frustration in these hits and passes.

The ball takes a dip. Two girls in the front dive for the ball at the same time, causing confusing and for the volleyball to touch the ground. My body instantly reacts and my legs push me up out of my seat. Before I know it, every one is standing and cheering.

My eyes dart to the lady Wolves. Instead of celebrating, they've all thrown themselves on the ground. They look like someone had just shot all of them dead. They're chests are pumping up and down. Alix is lying flat on the ground with her hands over her head. She's smiling.

People begin to walk out on the court. I follow them, ready to scoop Alix up off the floor. She sits up before I can get to her and turns her head in my direction. Her eyes move up toward me. I smile at her and shrug my shoulders, stopping in my tracks. She laughs and slowly pushes herself up on her feet. Her hair is a mess. It's damp from her sweat and her team shirt has wet stains on them.

She's wobbly on her feet. I step closer to her and her arms that sling around my neck. I wrap my arms around her lower back. Her weight is ten times heavier than normal. Her chest is pushing against mine and her breath is tremendously hot against my neck.

I said softly, "You did good out there kid."                                                                                                

In small short breaths she said, "Couldn't have done it without your support. Thank you."

Alix kisses my cheek softly and moves her lips to mine. I don't reject the kiss, but I freeze remembering that her parents are here - definitely watching us. She pushes into my lips harder signaling me to kiss back so I do. She's obviously fully aware about her parents, but I guess she doesn't care anymore. She's too tired to care.