Chapter 18

Narrator

A warm enough Monday morning made Allie put on her favorite type of shorts; basketball shorts. They're a nice soft red color with black strings. She slipped her black short sleeved t-shirt on and smoothly tied her long black hair into a ponytail. She put her red plugs in her ears. A day of work is ahead of her that she's not exactly looking forward too.

She's tired and a little drowsy from being up all night on the phone with Alix. She smiled around the apartment thinking about their small talk and the way Alix snores a little when she sleeps. Allie stood up for a few hours to comfort Alix to sleep because Alix is afraid of the dark.

Allie spent most of her life in the dark, creating a certain darkness within herself. It seems only Alix can walk through the darkness with a small light and get by without being eaten alive and without being scared, but of course, Alix never thought of it that way. She doesn't see the darkness in Allie.

Allie walks out her room and stops by the room next to her filled with boxes of her old stuff. Almost every day she contemplates whether or not she should go through them. She's afraid of what she'll find. She promises herself every day, that one day she'll raid through the boxes to find anything useful about herself, her past.

Whenever Alix isn't around the emptiness starts to settle in again. Allie depends on Alix now, which isn't a good thing in her mind. Two rules are already broken and there isn't any way of remaking them. Tiffany's words continued to play over and over again in her head:

"Players can't break the game."

Allie fought the doubt out of her head. Alix is different. She's not just an ordinary girl you can have sex with and never speak to again. The spark in her eyes and her cheerful attitude isn't something you can just let slip by you. Everyone needs balance and Alix is a perfect example of a perfect balance.

Allie jumps to the ringing of the house phone. She quickly walks to the kitchen and grabs the phone off the hook on the counter. The caller ID read 'Jimmy Turner'. Allie smiled, tapping the call button and putting the phone up to her ear.

"What's up?" Allie said.

"Well hello stranger, haven't talked to you in a while." Jim chuckled.

Allie smiled. "Sorry dude, been a little busy."

"Been a little busy with a certain lady friend huh?" Jim teased.

Allie's heart dropped. "W-what?"

"A little birdie told me you have a special lady friend." Jim said.

"What? No. I don't have anyone special." Alix said awkwardly.

"C'mon Allie bear. A special lady has your attention and that's cool man. I met a girl myself. She's really down to earth and cute." He said.

Allie sighed. "Alix. It's Alix."

Jim chuckled. "Well I knew that already! How are you guys? You know, like what's been going on?"

Allie smiled a little. "Nothing - we hang out."

"You know I want the details." Jim said dryly.

"Well, there isn't that much details to give. I mean we make out, go on small dates and cuddle." Allie said.

"That's great dude! You must really like her." Jim said cheerfully.

Allie shrugged. "Oddly, I do. We're complete opposites too."

"Opposites attract and make the best couples. I mean, who the hell wants to date themselves?" Jim said. "So did you get some yet?"

Allie scoffed. "No Jim, she's not like that."