pt. 41 - Aftermath (a/n at the end is important)

[about a week later]

Lee, Metal and I stepped out of my mom's car to the site that dad would be buried at.

Metal had stayed with Lee's parents up until then, but Kakashi and Gai flew out to have Metal go to my dad's funeral. They left the next morning, knowing that they probably shouldn't stick around for the funeral, though, I invited them if they didn't want to fly back yet. They left anyway, and the day went on.

I don't remember much. I remember walking on my crutches and I remember having conversations, not that I know what any of them were about.

At the end of the day the most I could really remember was Lee's arm around me, the way he kept me warm under our umbrella, and Metal holding my hand. Everything else was a blur and confusing.

It was the most I had talked to mom all week, but it's all I could handle. We eventually went home, where Metal and Hachiro managed to have a good time even though they too, were sad.

I only needed my casts for another two weeks, but I wanted to rip them off now. They were uncomfortable and bulky and in the way, and I just wanted them off.

We're leaving tomorrow morning. Our flight is at 10:00, and we we're planning on taking an Uber to the airport. All my stuff is packed, other than my clothes and toothbrush. I'm ready to go back at this point. Every second here is just more of me being sad. I hate it.

I went to bed sort of angry, though I didn't have a reason. Well, I say angry. But after Lee and Metal climbed in with me I was a little better.

"I love you, mama."

"I love you, my Lotus."

"and I love you both so much." Lee pulled all of us together, nice and close with Metal in-between us. Lee looked up at me and pat my head before whispering to me.

"It is... all going to be okay."

"You think so?"

"I know so, (y/n). You are my fiancé, and I know who I chose." His concerned expression softened as I let out a gentle sigh and smiled, not showing my teeth, or grinning. Just a soft smile.

"I know I've said it before, but Lee... I feel so lucky to have you in my life. You always seem to make things easier for me, weather or not you mean to."

"I always mean to, lotus," he whispered, and brought his lips to my forehead for a moment. "You make my life better everyday. You even make my son happy. I couldn't ask for anything else."

I closed my eyes, though Lee continued to speak, telling me about just how much he loves me and wants me to be happy, eventually boiling down the sweet nothings as we drifted off together. The last thing I remember was Lee confirming his love for me over again.

[Now, finally back to Lee's house, a week and 6 days later]

"Man! I'm so ready for these casts to come off!" I exclaimed, stretching my arms up.

"Mama... when you get your casts off, are- are you going to leave?"

I looked up at Lee, who was making dinner at the moment. I smiled, letting my gaze fall back down to the young boy in front of me.

"Yes, sweetie. Just for a little bit. I'll be back, and you'll see me soon after. I won't be gone forever."

"But I don't want you to go!" he held his arms up, and I quickly picked him up and held him close. He began to cry into my shoulder as I rubbed his back. "Mama, you gotta stay here. You gotta."

"Oh buddy. I'll come back soon. I wouldn't want to be away from you for too long. You're my favorite little boy out there. You know that?"

Metal sniffled, and looked at me with his big watery eyes, "y-you mean it?"

"Yes! I do mean it. You're the best, lil man." I leaned forward, and kissed his forehead, holding him tight.

[The next day]

Lee was taking me to get my casts off, and we were just listening to music for a while before.

"So... remember how you wanted a new job, and you were considering the position opening at my school?"

"Uh, yeah."

"They are taking applications now, and it does not look like too many people are actually going at it."

I smiled to myself and squeezed Lee's free hand. "Thanks for letting me know. I'm finally going back to work tomorrow. As excited as I am.. I know it's going to be boring, so another change would be nice."

[a/n- hey y'all ugh okay i'm sorry i know it's been forever but i feel like writing and this story is already set up. the last half of it is basically filler.
let it be known that i'm a very different person so the writing style might change a bit. along with that, reader will now be using gender neutral pronouns, but still have a ✨pussy✨
yea as a writer i've kinda grown a bit since last december and it's time for me to grow up. there will at some point be some nsfw chapters, (marked ofc) and i'm asking that minors dni. that being said, i have been a minor in the past, on wattpad for less than Swiss cheese reasons. so minors, DNI, please.

the next chapter will be another a/n to reintroduce myself and maybe plan the story a bit with little to no spoilers.
yours truly, 304]