pt. 40 - Midnight Chats

[Lee's POV - after (y/n) fell asleep.]

"You know I wasn't awake, right?" Kenma whispered.

"I did not," I replied, not looking at him. He sat up and looked around.

After a minute of silence, he turned to me. "You're going to marry my sister. Are you sure you're ready to make such a commitment?"

"Why would I not be? I love (y/n) more than anything."

"So did dad."

"uhh...?"

"She was dad's favorite. It was so obvious, it's a little frustrating. I came out as gay like... three years ago, and Suki got pregnant at 17. (Y/n) never did anything wrong, she's a perfect Mary Sue. At least in dad's eyes."

"No one is perfect, not even (y/n), I am sure she has her flaws."

"Then name one. Just one."

"...I do not look for them. I do not see the point in doing so." I felt her take a long breath on top of me as I thought to myself. "Our relationship is a healthy one. If there is one flaw I can think of, it is not trusting that I love her regardless. Maybe that is not the answer you were looking for, but that's all I can think of."

"Really? She crys too much, she's not great at decision making and she can nag a lot and-"

"I do not know much about that. No one is perfect, but to me, she is as close as she can get in my mind. She is good for me, for my kid. I am lucky, and I know that." Everything was quiet for a while. "Actually, I can think of one thing." I had been thinking back, and the only thing I could remember is what she told me, and Suki and (M/n) had said.

"Oh?"

"She gets crabby when she is tired and hungry."

Kenma chuckled, then looked at Suki and his mom. "You're not wrong about that. I guess we should all get to bed then, right?"

I smiled down at my fiance, watching how she snuggled into me without waking up.

"We're all awake," (m/n) giggled. "Barely. Let's all get to bed, talk in the morning."

[(y/n)'s POV]

I woke up the next morning in Lee's arms, snuggled under the warm blankets of my familiar bed.

I'm going to marry Lee. Dad is dead. I'm all the way back home.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I laid there, staring at Lee. He looked so perfect, fast asleep.

He took a deep breath and pulled me into his chest, squeezing me tight. "You are crying, my love," he noted, not opening his eyes. With his words, I started crying more. "It is okay, just lean on me."

"I- it hurts-" I sobbed, curling into him.

"I know, and I am here for you." We laid there for hours while I cried, Lee stroking my arm, back and hair. He even shed tears of his own for a while.

"You're- We're- getting married, right? It wasn't a dream?"

"You said yes last night, but I understand if you change your mind right now, if it is too stressful. I should have waited."

"No, no. I just... wanted to make sure. But it'll probably be a while, I'd like to live in my own apartment for a while longer, and-"

"I asked you if you wanted to marry me, not to marry me tomorrow. We can decide when, when you are ready." My chest cleared and I felt as if I could breathe again. He smiled at me and kissed my forehead with droopy eyes. "Did you know that you are extremely beautiful? You are so gorgeous, and I feel so lucky to have you." Immediately my face went red and I had to look away to keep any composure. "I love you, my lotus."

"Thank you so much, honey. I love you too." Lee rested his head on my shoulder as we laid there, pressing his nose into the corner of my neck while humming a soft tune. I could feel his gentle breaths on my skin as he comforted me. I let him hold me as long as he would, and closed my eyes until I eventually fell back asleep into a horrid nightmare. The same repetitive scene.

The problem was that dad didn't show up this time.

It felt as if it had dragged on for hours, Sasuke getting even more into my space and stripping me down besides my protests.

By the end of the dream, I saw myself laying on my bed sobbing because I couldn't do anything to stop him.

I immediately jolted awake. Mt stomach twisted and I had to get up and run. Lee followed me to the bathroom, where I only got halfway into before throwing up everywhere.

Mom and Suki came to see what was going on, and by the time they made it I was at the toilet, spewing once again. Lee had pulled my hair back so I wouldn't get anything in it, and Kenma was cleaning up the floor and sink.

That dream felt too real.

Keeping my hair out of my face, Lee ran his hand down my back as I stayed on my knees, ready to puke again if I needed to. Tears streamed down my face as I leaned over the bowl.

"(Y-Y/n)?" Lee asked quietly. I slowly looked at him, my eyes red from exhaustion. He reached up to feel my forehead. "You feeling alright?" He asked, removing his hand. Everyone left again, so it was just Lee and I.

"...I think- it was from the nightmare I had..." I explained, looking down back into the toilet.

"You look really pale, and you have a bit of a fever, my Love. What was that nightmare about?"

"S-same thing as last time, but... no one stopped him, and- Everything felt too realistic, and it hurt really bad." Lee looked at me with a frown, eyes gleaming with what had to be sadness. "I- I'm sorry. you shouldn't have to care about-"

"No no no no, I care. And I should care, I wish I could have woken you up sooner, so you would not have to relive what you went through." I scooted away from the toilet, my stomach now empty, but settled. I reached my arms out, and let him hold me close, he kept a hand cradling the back of my head while we sat there. "I wish I could make your nightmares go away. If I had one wish, that is what it would be for."

"I'm okay. Once I'm in your arms I know I'm safe again. Even after something like that... you hugging me close takes one of some of the burden for me." He kissed the top of my head, then had me look at him.

"I am glad I can do that much for you," he whispered, wiping my face. He reached for a few squares of toilet paper and wiped off the sides my mouth. "But you... still have a fever, so I think you need some more rest, and some water, and something to eat, and-" I cut him off with some light hearted laughter.

"I know all that. Thank you, Lee. Thank you for caring so much for me."

"Nothing but the best for my love." He grinned and stood up, hoisting me to my feet, still on my casts. I couldn't even remember how I got into the bathroom, but I'm glad I didn't throw up on the carpet. Once I was up, Lee fully picked me up to bring me back to our room, and placed me under the covers. "I am going to get you some water, you just get some rest."

I scooted further down onto my pillow and under my blanket while waiting for Lee to bring me a drink. But once he came back, and I drank the whole thing, he got back into bed with me, and snuggled into me.

And for the next two days, there was little to no communication between us, Suki, Kenma and Mom. None of us talked to each other, or texted each other or anything. The closest we got to that was when someone made a meal big enough for everyone.

There would be a note on top with what the food was. But after everyone sifted through the kitchen and got their food, silence reigned again.