pt. 22 - How do You Talk to a Dead Man?

I rinsed my face with cold water, trying to clear my head of any depressing thoughts.

...four months...

It wasn't working. The possibility of dad being gone in four months was terrifying. What would I do without my father? I have Lee and Metal and the rest of my family. But I'm afraid of losing dad. That's fair, right?

When I came out of the bathroom, Lee and Kenma had returned, both of them laughing slightly as they went to the kitchen to get some water. I smiled. Lee had done it within 24 hours. My family likes him.

Metal and Hachiro came running out of their bedroom, Hachiro pulling on my pants leg to get my attention.

"Auntie! Are you really Metal's mom!?" He asked excitedly. Lee came out of the kitchen and stood by me. I looked to him, not sure what to say.

"Uhh well..."

"I keep telling you that she is! Why do you not believe me!" Metal whined, trying his best to convince Hachiro of the truth.

"Because I haven't met you before now! We could have been friends for like... Forever!"

Lee and I both chuckled softly at their argument. He nodded at me and smiled. I put my hand on each of the young boy's heads.

"Hachiro, to answer your question... Y-yes. I haven't always been, but I am now. Okay?" Hachiro huffed and pulled Metal back to the room. Lee tapped my shoulder to make me look up at him. "hm?" He quickly bent down and pressed his lips to mine got a soft second. "Oh..." Heat rushed to my face, I hadn't expected that nice surprise, but I enjoyed it.

What I didn't enjoy was hearing dad call Lee into the front room. I knew what was happening, and before Lee could respond, I did.

"Now?"

"Better sooner than later, (y/n). Lee come in here please, I need to talk to you."

"Hey, Lee... I'm going to just sit in our room for a bit. Go talk to him," I gave him a quick hug, and went back into the room.

I'm not just afraid of losing dad.

[Lee's POV]

I watched her walk away, then when she was gone, I met (f/n) in the front room, not sure what to expect.

"You should take a seat, Lee," he directed, sitting across from me on the other couch in the room. I sat, keeping my hands on my knees.

"D-did I do something wrong? If I did-"

"No, Lee. You're fine, this isn't a matter of what you did. It's... About me."

"Oh." For a moment, I let my mind wander. Was something wrong? Did something happen? Was something going to happen?

"I'm going to put this bluntly. I am going to die. It's inevitable, and it's happening soon. As early as four months, that's what I need to talk to you about," he said somewhat quickly, looking down at his hands, then out the window next to us. "Most likely sooner than later."

It took a minute to process the words and come up with my own. How do I talk to a dying man? Am I supposed to be sorry for him? What am I supposed to say?

"I can understand that's a lot to take in. I've got a rare untreatable virus, quickly spreading through my body, and one by one, my organs are going to start shutting down. My doctor said sometime after the next four months, to the end of next year. (Y/n) didn't tell you, I know that. I also know that you wouldn't dare leave her in such a trying time of her life. You're not that kind of guy, I've got that figured out. I have you figured out, Lee," he leaned back in his seat. "Or at least I think I do. Am I right?"

"Y-you do. And you are right, I would not let her go alone in this time of... her... Your... Uhh-"

"I know what you mean. But listen. You're aware of her past now. I just... Want you to keep that in mind when comforting her. I need to know you won't disappear on her. And you'll take care of her because I won't be able to. And-" his voice started to tighten, and tears began to form in the corner of his eyes. "J-just make sure she's safe..."

"I will. But may... May I ask you a question?" Is now even the best time to ask? Should this wait? But I need to ask. Now is better than never, I guess.

"Go ahead, Lee," he wiped his eyes. "Ask."

"I do not plan on doing it anytime soon, and I do not know when. But as a... Tradition, I should ask."

"Lee, I don't have a lifetime. What is it?" He laughed. How could I? Was I even allowed to laugh at his joke?

"I want to marry (y/n) one day. I love and respect her very much. I want to ask for your permission now... In case..."

"I'm not surprised. I know she likes-err- loves you. And I respect that you feel the need to ask, but she is her own person, and I have no say in what she does. If it makes a difference, you have my blessing," he sighed. "You're a good kid, Lee. I have to trust you."

"Thank you, sir."

We both sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes, before he just got up and left, after saying, "go talk to her."

I went into our room, where she was curled up on the bed, knees tucked into her chest as she sat there, face down. She was sobbing. She slowly looked up at me, and I sat right next to her, to pull her close to me. "Hey," I stroked her hair as she nuzzled her face into my neck.

"I should have told you sooner, I'm sorry," she cried. Her whole body was shaking in my arms.

"No, do not be sorry. I completely understand not telling me. It was not really be my business to ask," I whispered. She slowly put his arms around me, gripping my shirt. "I promise I will always be here for you. I am not going to let you go, Lotus," she only cried harder with each word. "It is going to be okay. Shh, shh, it is okay."

"I- I'm afraid o-of losing e-everyone. My dad, m-my mom, my f-family.... You a-and Metal," I pulled her face away from me, running my fingers through her hair, fixing any tangles. I quickly wiped away the tears staining her cheeks, and brought her head closer to mine.

"You are not going to lose me," I whispered, and pressed her forehead to my lips. "If everyone else, not me," I hugged her again, and continued to stroke her hair. Other than her crying, the room was quiet. "I love you, so so much. I will not ever stop."

"T-thank you," she mumbled into me.

We sat there for a long time. I occasionally heard the sound of her family walking passed the door, or Metal and Hachiro laughing from across the hall. She eventually calmed down and stopped crying. Someone knocked on the door. (Y/n) didn't move, just grunted to tell me to let whoever it was in.

"Come in," the door slowly opened, reveling (m/n) and Suki.

"Are you alright, (y/n)?" Suki asked.

"What does it look like?" (Y/n) replied, glancing up from my chest. Her eyes were puffy and pink from crying for so long. "Anyway, what's up? Actually, what time is it?"

"Half passed noon. And we came to tell you that.... You have to come downstairs with us. Now come!" Suki exclaimed. Lotus slowly got off the bed and wiped her eyes. Suki grabbed her hands and pulled her away. "You too, Lee! This is a surprise for the both of you!" I followed quickly behind, grabbing (y/n)'s hand as she was pushed along.