pt. 21 - Avoidance

[(Y/n)'s POV]

That was just about the perfect way to wake up.

We all ate breakfast at the table, a different kind of cereal for each person.

I couldn't help but dwell on what Lee had said about my father liking him. It was a calming statement, and I could only believe it. Lee doesn't lie.

As soon as Metal and Hachiro finished eating, Metal asked if Hachiro wanted to play. Lee and I were half speechless. The two boys ran off to their room they were supposed to share where all their toys were.

"Y-you saw that, right, Lotus? I am not just dreaming, right?"

"No, I saw it."

Suki stared at us for a moment with a puzzled look. "What was so weird about that?" She asked, throwing her shoulder length brown hair up into a half up, half down ponytail.

Lee and I glanced at each other, still having a difficult time stringing words together.

"Metal is not the type to ask to play with other kids. He recently came forward about being bullied, which explains why he is so quiet and timid. I have never seen him... Want to be social before," Lee looked into the hall from where he sat. "I do not think he has had very many friends before. Hachiro is... The first."

"Yeah. It's just strange to see him so happy," I laughed and leaned on Lee's shoulder after finishing my bowl.

"I'm glad they get along, then. But you know what that means, right, Lee?" Suki started with a twisted grin. I knew what Suki meant, but Lee was clueless. "You can't break up with (y/n). Metal wouldn't have Hachiro anymore," she giggled. Lee looked at her, full eye contact, and a straight face.

"I do not ever plan on it. No matter what happens, I will make sure we work it out. I strongly dislike the thought of ever not being with (y/n)," he stated.

"So you could even say you would spend the rest of your life with her?" Suki dared to speak again, I knew what she was doing, and I wish she would stop.

"If she would have me!" He exclaimed slightly, almost defensively. Everyone then turned to me, my parents, siblings, and Lee. My face turned pink from embarrassment.

"I-if he would have me..." I mumbled. I feel like we just exchanged wedding vows, with the way things were spoken. "Yeah."

"It's too early in the morning," Kenma groaned, sipping whatever was in his mug. He still didn't like Lee. It was apparent that even my dad had decided he was good enough. Now it's just... Kenma.

"You two should get married then!" Suki exclaimed. I turned my head away. It's not that I didn't want to marry him.

"I- I don't think I'm ready for that yet, Suk..." I said, realizing I might have offended Lee, turned to him in a panic. "It has nothing to do with not loving you, Lee. I love you very much, and have no trouble staying committed to our relationship. It's the best one I've ever had, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's more... I like living in my own apartment that I don't have to share all the time. N-not that I don't like the idea of living with you! N-"

"Lotus, hey, look at me," he said softly, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I was not about to propose to you. I know it is too soon anyway. I do not need an explanation, alright?" He whispered aloud to calm me down.

"Yeah, okay," I huffed, relieved I didn't have to give him an answer. I leaned on him as we sat there, everyone just watching.

Kenma grunted and got up. "I'm going on a run. Anyone wanna come?" Lee immediately perked up.

"Do you mind if I come?"

"Don't slow me down. We're leaving in five minutes," he left to go get ready. Lee looked at me go ask if I wanted to come. I shook my head and Lee got up to get ready too. Suki and my mom went downstairs, and told me not to come because there were working on something for Me.

That just left me and my dad.

"...so?"

"I like him more than I thought I did. He's a good kid."

I let out a relieved sigh. "I'm glad. And... I'm sorry." I said, an apology that could never be enough.

"Why are you sorry? I can't think of a reason."

"...For starters, I'm sorry I haven't called you, or picked up your calls. I kept putting it off, and procrastinating talking to you. And... For saying what I said. It was too harsh, I knew you were doing your best. I guess... I've been avoiding the thought since I moved."

"I know. And it's okay. I get it, you're scared. I know that. And I always end up ruining the conventions we do have, that's my fault. So I'm sorry for that. Not to mention being so hard on him. I know you're pretty smart, and would avoid choosing another Sasuke."

"You shouldn't be sorry. You were looking out for me. I know that you're going to want to talk about what you are good at talking, and I should just get used to it. Because one day, because of... That... You're going to be gone, and I'll miss the sound of your voice... And... Dad, I'm not really sure I'm ready for that. Your days are limited... I'm terrified," I didn't even notice the steady stream of tears from my eyes until Lee said my name to tell me he was headed out to run. I waved, and he left.

"I know your aren't ready. No one is. I'm terrified too. Believe me, you're mother has been getting more anxious by the day. But I want you to remember that now you have Lee. I won't always be around to help. You know that. I know you've gotten along fine without me, and I know when I'm gone, you're safe, so at least I'll be able to rest easy," he pushed a lock of my hair behind my ear, and wiped a tear away. He stood from his chair, and moved to the bench I was sitting on. "You're going to have to be okay for me. For me and your mom. She'll need you when I'm gone." He wrapped his arms around me, and pulled me in. "I love you sweetie. I always will."

"How much longer did the- did the doctor say you have?"

"At best the end of next year."

"And worst?"

"Four months."

That's too soon. It's too soon. Too soon. That's too soon.

"no..."

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "They said there was nothing we could do about it." I sniffled and listened to his quiet heartbeat. "Have you told Lee about it yet?" I shook my head. I wasn't ready to admit it.

"I tried to forget. I'm sorry"

"I'll tell him so you don't have too. We're going out tonight, I'll tell him sometime before that. Sound okay?" I nodded. "Alright. Go get cleaned up and wash your face. I'll talk to him," he hushed and let me out of the embrace.

"Thank you, Dad," he put his hand on my shoulder, and smiled.

"Everything is going to be okay, alright?"

"Yeah... It'll be okay," I said, more telling myself than my dad.

I finally got up and went to the bathroom to wash my face.