pt. 12 - A Duet

[this chapter is sooo freaking cringy, I hate ittt]

Lee and I had been talking all morning as I got ready for work again, for the same, everyday, office job.

"Can we get dinner tonight?" He asked as I curled my eyelashes.

"I'd love to. Are you taking Metal?"

"I was thinking just you and I tonight."

"Sounds nice," I smiled into the mirror and fluffed my hair before grabbing my bag. I decided to skip on working out today, because I accidentally stayed up too late and slept in.

"I can pick you up after you get off work, straight from your office?"

"I'll probably need a ride home then, is that okay?"

"Anytime. And, I already have somewhere picked out, if that is good with you."

"Of course it is. It's not fancy, is it?"

"Nope."

"Alright then. I'll see you tonight then. I love you."

"I love you too! See you tonight, bye," Lee hung up, and I left for work.

The office was quiet this morning. Hinata wasn't at her desk. That was enough to ruin my mood. I set my bag and coat down at my chair and went straight for the annex, where Naruto was ending a phone call.

"Hey?" I made my way to his desk. He looked up at me with a small smile. "Any news on Hina?"

"She woke up this morning," he replied. "And then she called me to tell me she was going to be okay. I'm relieved," he looked to a paper that was on his desk, getting back to work.

"That's good. Do you know how long she'll be out?"

"The nurses said anywhere from two to six weeks to fully heal."

"That's better than her being gone. Alright, well, I need to get back to work," I smiled, and went back to my desk.

Work days aren't as long when you have something to look forward to. Knowing I get to see Lee at the end of the day makes the time fly.

[Time skip]

I watched as Lee's car pulled into the parking lot, and immediately gathered my things, and dashed out of the office. He was getting out of his car to come get me, but he was too slow, so I ran to him instead.

As soon as he saw me, he immediately grinned, and pulled me into a hug. It may have only been a day or two, but it felt like too much time had passed. He held me in his arms, as tight as he could, leaning his head on my shoulder.

"I missed you," he whispered as we rocked side to side.

"I missed you too," I replied, grabbed his face, squishing his cheeks slightly, and kissed him. The connection brought an unrivaled happiness, but really, that was anytime with Lee I could have.

"Get a room you two!" One of my co-workers shouted. I removed myself from him, but he continued to hold me around the waist.

"I love you," he hummed, leaning his forehead on mine.

"I love you too," I mumbled and let him go. He kissed my head and held my hand to take me to his car, after taking my bag off my shoulder to carry it for me. "So?"

"So what?" He opened the door for me, and went to the driver's side.

"Where are we going for dinner?" I clarified, buckling my seat belt and tightening it around  my waist.

"How do you feel about breakfast for dinner?"

"It's my favorite," I pulled out my phone, seeing no messages. Lee grabbed my hand as he started the car and left the lot.

"That is good. We are going to a breakfast joint downtown. I have not been in months, but it is my favorite place," Lee glanced back at me, and squeezed my hand. "I only take people I really like there."

"I guess I'm lucky then," I laughed. "Lucky to have you."

"Yeah? I am lucky too. You are such and amazing person. To have you around makes me feel like life is supposed to be... Happy again," he couldn't stop smiling, the happiest, most genuine smile I had seen from anyone.

"I'm glad I make you feel that way, Lee," everything was quiet for a moment, listening to the radio. That's when I realized that the music was actually Lee's playlist. I recognized the song and grinned. "Can I... Turn the music up?" Lee reached down and did it himself, and immediately started giggling. "What's so funny?"

"It is a duet," he explained, and turned the speakers even a little louder.

"Listen baby, ain't no mountain high ain't no valley low, ain't no river wide enough baby," he sang, and made a gesture for me to sing along too. I shook my head nervously, gaining a layer of blush. "You have to! Just do it!"

"Okay, fine!" I grumbled and started shakily singing."If you need me call me no matter where you are no matter how far," I was laughing the whole time, as we jammed out to Ain't No Mountain High Enough, singing as loud as we could, and probably off key.

But it was perfect. The idea of being proper all the time, the need to act like I never made mistakes disappeared with each off key mumble from when I forgot the words.

"Ain't no river wide enough
To keep me from getting to you babe!" We sang in unison as the song faded out, and the next song played. He turned the volume down at the red light and looked at me, half breathless from not only singing, but also dancing in his seat.

He smiled at me, as if I had done something astounding. "I love you," he stated, grinning ear to ear. "And I think we are a great pair, in more ways than one," the light turned green, and we started rolling again.

"We should do that more often," I huffed, having to look away to hide my read face. His hand was back over mine again. "How far away are we?" The truth was that I wasn't paying any attention to how far we were.

Because now, we were in the parking lot.

"We are here," he parked, and we got out. I grabbed his hand as we walked in. "Look, this is why I like this place." I read the sign, 'Breakfast Palace'

"Oh my goodness, it's glorious," I mumbled. It's a breakfast bar. Like frozen yogurt, but breakfast edition. "This is... The greatest thing I've ever seen, Lee."