Chapter 7

Warning: language, violence, cult talk, thoughts of dying, very dark thoughts and wishes of dying, Axl in her undergarments, etc.

***

After rescuing Jess and getting to know her better, we became quite the pair. She joined the resistance and was a great ally to fight alongside with. The archer tagged along to help me with the Hope County Jail, find the Whitetails, Hurk, Cheeseburger, Peaches, Sharky, and Adelaide Drubman. I was lucky to have someone like Jess. Anyway, some time went by and it was finally December in Hope County.

I wandered through the Whitetail Mountains. I felt my face, especially my nose, burning against the freezing wind as I pulled my jacket closer together. Snow scattered across the trees and littered the ground as I plodded through about six inches of deep snow. The sun was not in the sky, causing me to feel even colder. I needed to get away from all the cult shit: killing Joseph's followers, saving resistance members, destroying the cult's property, etc. Even, I, the Deputy, needs a small break every now and then; I'm not invincible, but it seems like most people think I am. It was supposed to be a hunting trip with some nice hiking, but the damned snowflakes had to come. Montana was insanely gorgeous, especially with the snow on the trees.

To me, just getting the opportunity to hike by myself and see Montana from such an extraordinary view was worth it. Pretty soon, I was near a river. To be honest, I was hoping it was completely frozen by now. I used my foot to inspect the ice, stomping on it and checking to see if it was sturdy enough to hold my weight. After verifying the ice, I began walking on it.

As I ventured across the river, the ice started to crack. I knew I had to be more careful... Maybe I should just head back?

While I stood on the ice, I took deep breaths to reassure myself I'd be alright. Slowly, I retrieved my .243 from my shoulder in case I'd see an animal I could kill and eat. Suddenly, the ice gave in. The river was deeper than I originally thought. I had no time to react as I broke through the frozen water. I thrashed and let out a yelp, the unbearable cold water seeping through my clothes and to my undergarments in an instant. The swift current yearned to suck me under the ice.

Thinking quickly, I tried to pull myself out using my .243... I started freaking the hell out. My whole body felt numb already. I gripped my gun tighter, keeping the butt of the rifle on the ice to try to use it to pull myself out. About a minute went by before I eventually found the strength to raise myself up onto the ice, allowing me to escape the freezing water.

I knew I had make a fire and warm up as soon as possible before hypothermia sets in. The air was inevitably causing my face to become red and even more numb from the wind. My entire body felt frozen. I knew it was going to be extremely difficult warming up, if not impossible... During all the commotion, I figure I looked ridiculous.

Feeling as though I didn't have the strength to walk, I fell into the snow face first. My wet gear would be useless... Barely being able to get up I laid beside a tree to build a quick fire under and brushed the snow away until I found the ground. I finally was able to unzip my bag with shaky, cold hands. I pulled out my tinder, steel, and flint that luckily was still dry. But my trembling, numb hands dropped them in the snow. "GODDAMNIT!" I screamed and threw them back into my bag. It's crazy how everything can change in a matter of minutes... I came to the conclusion that I was absolutely beyond fucked.

I began laying in the snow on my back, looking up at the white sky, accepting the fact that I was going to die as the snow penetrated against my body and face. Pretty soon, my eyes began closing, feeling relieved I wouldn't have to fight anymore. I was content despite the level of pain I was experiencing.

Suddenly, I heard a stick break; my eyes jerked back open, but I couldn't see anyone or anything but trees, snow, and the blinding white sky.

"Johnson?" Someone called out.