Chapter 55

Warning: language, violence, angst, death, etc.

***

I was participating in the Derby for a good, long hour; I killed all of my opponents and won the race. Hopping out of my car, I pumped my fists in the air, adrenaline and excitement coursing throughout my veins. And fireworks began lighting up the sky for my celebratory victory.

The announcer yelled, "We have a winner! This thudfuck right here here is your champion! Champion, drop your gun off and make your way up to the winner's dinner!" His voice echoed, disseminating all over the arena.

I made my way to the winner's dinner, dropping all my guns in the bag, rendering me weaponless.

Irwin congratulated me as I climbed up the ladder to the winner's dinner. "Nice goin', slick. You won yourself a ticket to the party. Go past the bodyguards. Make like you belong there."

"That'll be easy, Irwin." I chuckled as I made it to the top of the ladder, passing my first Highwayman bodyguard. I puffed out my chest and took larger strides, adding a little sway to fit in better, but not too noticeable to make it look natural. I knew how to go undercover because I've done it plenty of times. I nodded my head at the guard as he did the same.

"The joint'll be full of Highwaymen big-wigs, they're all giant dicks. But be careful. They're fuckin' dangerous. The plan is: you gun everybody down. Everybody." Irwin explained. "We'll make 'em all pay for dissin' me." He scowled at the end.

I was nearing the VIP section as one of the guards complimented me.

"That was incredible. Best win I ever saw." One of the Highwaymen gave me a thumbs up.

Nodding at him, I opened the door to the winner's dinner.

Irwin laughed, "Haha. This is amazing. Alright, alright... We're gonna get all of 'em in one scoop. Now look don't do anything stupid. Okay, I'm gonna shut the fuck up now. I'm gonna give you the go when the gun's in place."

I walked into the room to see a humongous dinner table, surrounding it was a bunch of Highwaymen.

Lou stood up from her seat, pointing at me, "Hey, I know you..."

That made my heart stop.

"... Derby winner. Man, you put on a show." Lou chuckled, pounding on the dinner table.

"Fuckin' a you did." One of the Highwaymen added, giving me a fist bump. "Killed it."

"Goddamn! You know, reminds me a little of myself..." Another Highwayman butted into the conversation as I sat down at the empty seat at the dinner table.

"Thank you all for bein' here! Come a long way for some of you. Fun as this is, we can't stay long." Mickey strutted in the room. "Been some new developments. Got a proposition for you all. Come on in."

"No fucking class." One of the Highwaymen grumbled. "Who the fuck is he?"

Ethan walked into the room as my jaw dropped.

"He is our numero uno problem solver." Mickey giggled.

"He's gonna take us up north and hook us up with some crazy... what the fuck is it? Fruit?" Lou asked, staring at Ethan.

That motherfucker...

"A sacred fruit. The miracle of New Eden—" Ethan got cut off by Mickey.

"Yeah, that's it. Our boy here says that fruit will give you strength like you can't fucking believe. And, for the right price, we're willing to share it with y'all." Mickey maliciously smiled as she patted Ethan on the back.