Chapter 39

Warning: language, violence, etc.

***

After swimming up to the surface, dragging Sam along with me, I gasped for air. Lifting the Captain up on my shoulder, I seen Carmina on the bank of the river.

"Deputy! Come here." She extended out her hand, offering it to me.

I reached for her hand, grabbing onto it as she helped pull me out of the water. Laying Samuel on the ground, I leaned my ear against his throat, trying to see if he was breathing. I couldn't hear anything so I started panicking.

Carmina shook his shoulders, "Hey... Hey, wake up. Wake up. I recognize him from the train. He's Captain of Security, right?"

"Yeah, he is. Carmina, I need to do CPR on him right now. I learned it in the army." I gently pushed her off of him as I began doing CPR.

I placed my left hand on top of my right hand, locking my fingers together and making sure my elbows weren't bent; I put my hands in the center of his chest. "Come on, Sam. Stay strong." I started performing chest compressions. "Fucking get up."

When that wasn't working, two of my fingers went to his neck. He had a weak, slow heartbeat, but he wasn't dead yet.

I placed my lips against his, performing two rescue breaths. Immediately, I restarted the chest compressions. After a minute or so, his eyes shot open, instantly coughing up river water into my face.

Wiping the water off my face, I hit his back a couple of times, trying to help him get all the water out of his lungs. Once he regained his breathing back, he fell back on the ground, closing his eyes.

"Damnit." Sam cursed, placing his hands behind his head. "Thanks." He opened his eyes, sitting back up. "Who's this, Axl?"

"Hi, I'm Carmina." She introduced herself to Sam. "I saw you and Dep hit the water and she was able to pull you out before you drowned, but... Near as I can tell, I think we're the only ones who got away... C'mon. Okay. We have to be careful." Carmina warned him as she helped him up. "The twins... they took off with Rush, but a lot of the Highwaymen, they stuck around. Okay, we... we have to get back to Hope County- my mom, my mom... she'll know what to do. Come on. We just need to follow the river to get to Hope County. I can't believe what happened. They must have seen the train coming. I should have known better."

"Don't blame yourself, hun." I scolded her.

"It wasn't your fault, Carmina." Sam patted her on the back as we followed the river.

"Those fucking twins. Mickey and Lou. The first time I saw them was when they came to our house. Said that it was their house now, and we could either leave willingly or they'd burn it down with us inside. My dad tried to fight. So they took him, then they took the house. My mom and I were forced to start over on our own. We weren't their only victims. But my mom managed to bring the survivors together and we all tried to build a place where we'd be safe." Carmina explained as we continued walking by the river. "Fuck. There's a tunnel up there that leads to Hope County. The Highwaymen are blocking our way in. We're going to need some firepower. Let's keep moving." She encouraged us as we marched forward.

After a while, we came upon a mine.

"There's a mine." I pointed up ahead.

"Yeah. I passed through it when I left to get help. There's a workbench inside. You can use it to build a weapon." The teenager informed us as we drew closer to the old mine. "Rush was supposed to be the final piece, so that we could finally fight back. But now we're worse off than we were before."